The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cool Tech Tow Hook Installtion Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please post up any tips and photos of removing the bumpers and installing the tow hooks. The instructions don't have a lot of detail to them so photos will be helpful.

While not the exact same procedure these Roush instructions should help if not cover everything you'll need to know.

Front Bumper Removal:

www.roushperformance.com/parts/manuals/Mustang-Front-Fascia-with-Foglamps-and-Harness-2010-2012-1310R17C381IM-AA.pdf

Rear Valance Removal:

www.roushperformance.com/parts/manuals/Rear-Valance-for-Mustang-GT-2010-2012-420009-manual.pdf

motoviper said:
The 1"hole should be perfect except it was hard to get the starter hole perfectly centered and I did do an axial cut. Even though I took my time and got 4 nice punches from the centering awl (all within a 1/32") and I drilled it axial to the mount plate, I ended up with it slightly offset inside (opposite from Grant 302) and now I do need the 1-1/4 plug to make it right. If I did it again I would do a 3/4" hole and then enlarge it to 1" from the outside when I got it all back together so it would be perfectly centered.
I'll be needing the 1.25" covers as well. :p I installed my rear first thinking the black rear valance would offer a better margin of error than the painted front bumper.

I drilled mine axial to the mount and ended up the same way. I'll need to make my hole larger to the outside in order for the nut to clear the plastic. I was very careful (I thought) to make sure the hole was lined up properly and took my time drilling the hole. I don't think drilling a smaller hole would help any. I almost think if I had drilled the hole perpendicular to the bumper cover it would have been closer. One thing I noticed afterwards is the pin for marking the hole is not centered and was off at an angle so you'll want to pay attention to that as well. Cutting the foam for the larger rear mount was a lot of work to get it right. I took a bunch of photos and will post the photos and a few more tips later.

FYI the 2013 front facia bumper depth is a bit deeper than the 2012 and the cooltech kit doesn't work. Everything mounts up fine but the tow ring itself doesn't get enough threads into the boss before hitting the front facia. I had to back out the lock nut pretty far to get the ring to seat against the boss. I've been in touch with Kendall and he will be producing a 2013 specific front plate with a longer boss. When you order specify your year. It's a great kit.

The rear installs as per instructions.

I shot a few pics documenting my rear tow hook install - hope this helps

Start in the trunk by removing these two wing nuts from the rear cover

RearTowRing_001.png

Pop out these two retainers on either side

RearTowRing_002.png

Lift straight up releasing the remaining two clips (blue/green looking in the middle). Then unclip the trunk light connector and set the cover aside.

RearTowRing_003.png

Unclip this connector and pull the grommet from the rear and push the grommet, wires and connecter through the hole

RearTowRing_009.png

Remove the three nuts per side retaining the tail lights

RearTowRing_004.png

Push on the studs to move the tail lights out and disconnect the connectors and set aside

RearTowRing_005.png

Remove the three screws in the front of the rear fender well. I've had this little 90' rachet driver for years. Comes in handy once every so often. If you don't have one, try a stubby or jacking up the rear and let the suspension hang

RearTowRing_006.png

Unclip these - cool tech says you may break them and provides hardware if you do. I didn't. These are underneath offset from the center looking straight up at the rear in front of the facia

RearTowRing_008.png

Undo these push pins on the backside of the wheel wells

RearTowRing_007.png

If you lie under the car and look back towards the rear, these two push connectors connect the black part of the rear facia to the upper rear. Pop them out

RearTowRing_011.png

Give a firm tug and the facia unclips on both sides

RearTowRing_010.png

Remove the facia and set asside - this shot shows the naked rear and the location of the foam bumper cover you need to remove. There are two push in retainers to pull

RearTowRing_012.png

Remove the three bolts on the passenger side

RearTowRing_013.png

Drill out the left most hole for the new larger/stronger provided bolt. BTW I had to drill out my plate as well.

RearTowRing_014.png

Bolt up the plate. There is an awl like tool provided by cooltech which screws into the boss to mark the dril spot.

RearTowRing_015.png

I used a combination of a hack saw, jig saw and exacto to remove the material from the styrofoam bumper cover. This is a very dense foam BTW.

RearTowRing_017.png

Put the facia back in place. I had mine clipped in the middle and approximately positioned around the wheel wells. Give a push and you'll see the awl poke through marking exactly where you need to drill

RearTowRing_018.png

Drill a pilot hole and I taped to protect the finish

RearTowRing_019.png

I used a hole saw to cut

RearTowRing_020.png

Replace the facia, doing every thing in reverse of removing it and test fit your tow ring. Make any adjustments to the jam nut to set the right angle of the ring

RearTowRing_021.png

Remove the ring and install the plug provided and your done!

RearTowRing_022.png

The rear goes in like clockwork on the 2013 - very easy. Just take your time.

John

Finally got around to installing the 2013 specific plate.
Pulled the front off the car and removed the 2012 boss plate.

Here's the difference

-9A61-4511-A16E-792A07593C11-1641-000002039316ACB7.png

Bolted up

-A791-4EC4-ABF9-0AC8F92DAE1D-1641-00000203A0B8F62D.png

The 2013 plate covers the holes where the push in foam bumper retainers go so I fabbed up this patent pending solution. (Zip tie ;D)

-EC3C-4154-BB14-B25CEA3A15A3-1641-00000203AA9E713C.png

All buttoned up, everything lined up perfectly and the tow ring now sits where it should. Thanks Kendalll!

-F2B3-4121-BF1C-EBB2D76E6B2E-1641-00000203B3A54278.png

I have been looking at your installation posts and pics and wondering why these hooks are made to be installed off to the passengers side? I am just wondering why not in the center or is it just the brand of tow hook?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Use the dtemel cutting blade, the router will just make a mess. Make multiple cuts about 1/2 " apart and you'll beaable to snap off sections by prying them out with a screwdriver. As for the hole I wouldn't waste my time with a 3/4", just get a 1" they are cheap enough. You'll get a nice clean cut then.

Did a search on removing the front bumper for a 2013, but couldn't find anything. Can a 2013 owner give a brief description or are there any hidden fastners etc to be on the lookout for?

just installed my rear hook on my '12...worked out well. it's nice being a slow follower as I learned a lot from all you comments and pics. I actually got my hole just perfect (drilled coaxial to the mount hole)...which is unusual for me, because I'm usually not very good on the small detail stuff. don't ask me for a picture of my foam, though...as that was a complete mess. Good thing it's completely hidden now ;-)

between the cooltech instructions, the Rousch stuff, and the Keavdog's stuff...just follow Keavdog's and you'll be golden. (or SBY ;-) )

I'm holding off on the front hook until I decide whether I'll be mounting splitter on the front...if so, I'll do both jobs at once.

TMO Supporting Vendors