The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CorteX Cambered Floating CV drive Axle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fingers crossed.!
I'm way ahead in points but the last weekend is 3 races, all double points, so if something bad happens to my car its mathematically possible for someone to take it from me....and we can't have that.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hope it does not rain!! Rain has a way of making the impossible possible... and the other way round as well! Dont ask me how I know! Now its time for Blacksheep to say..... Nothing good ever happens in the rain!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad you reported on yourself since I was going to post that they were still available, not cheap , but then practically everyone running in IMSA or SCCA in years past ( who was a Champion ) had a cambered rear.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Glad you reported on yourself since I was going to post that they were still available, not cheap , but then practically everyone running in IMSA or SCCA in years past ( who was a Champion ) had a cambered rear.
Maybe I’ll be the first.

Here's the quote from AJ

No rules on suspension sounds like it will be a very expensive path.

1. No experience with the SLA. Never allowed to use it.
2. The cambered rear axle. Another magic 2 seconds a lap... This was going to be the end all-be all. Again we were told it was worth so much in back to back testing. When we first used it, it wasn't. More like a couple hundredths of a second slower. But it showed promise as we were sent the wrong hubs a week before the next race, and couldn't get the proper degree hubs in time. After we got it properly setup with the correct camber, I'd say on certain tracks its probably worth a half of a second on a car that works well already. On cars that don't work well it may fix some things or it may screw things up further.

The real benefit was running fixed calipers on the rear. Much better and consistent brake pedal.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here's the quote from AJ

2. The cambered rear axle. Another magic 2 seconds a lap... This was going to be the end all-be all. Again we were told it was worth so much in back to back testing. When we first used it, it wasn't. More like a couple hundredths of a second slower. But it showed promise as we were sent the wrong hubs a week before the next race, and couldn't get the proper degree hubs in time. After we got it properly setup with the correct camber, I'd say on certain tracks its probably worth a half of a second on a car that works well already. On cars that don't work well it may fix some things or it may screw things up further.

The real benefit was running fixed calipers on the rear. Much better and consistent brake pedal.
Well that’s not exactly a glowing report….

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here's the quote from AJ

Do you know how much camber you ended up with? The standard is 1.5* which is what I got…..good? Bad? Any idea?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Do you know how much camber you ended up with? The standard is 1.5* which is what I got…..good? Bad? Any idea?
That's what I have.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I remember this comment... Its had me restraining my urge to spend money.
I HAVE heard glowing reports so I guess we are gonna find out.
I am obviously optimistic, evidenced by the fact that I plunked down thousands of dollars for one.
I do believe that this is going to be a benefit.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I remember this comment... Its had me restraining my urge to spend money.
Okay, let me elaborate a little bit if you'll indulge me...
As previously stated, my front end was a mess. The understeer caused by flexy flier parts was just intolerable so I went with the Cortex SLA. I initially just bought the K Member and lower arms to replace the drag racing one to get some stability but it really wasn't much more to go the whole way so I added the upper half to complete the SLA.
The result was so much more front grip that I struggled to get the car tight enough. I dropped the rear Roll center way down and dumped a ton of spring rate etc. to hook the car up which all worked, but there was still enough loosness that I couldn't put the power down in the fashion that I wanted. So the last piece of the puzzle was additional aero. Boy does that work! The car is basically on rails and I'm very happy with the balance but....I'm paying for it with parasitic drag. The car just isn't as fast down the straightaways anymore. My expectation is that the Cambered rear end is going to give me enough additional bite that I can flatten the wing out to dump some drag and still have the balance that I need....it may take a little tuning to get it just right but I'm certain that we'll get there. I'm sure that is what @blacksheep-1 meant when he said it needed a combination of things to reap the full benefit, and I'm sure he's right. He usually is. Stay tuned.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cool. tuned in as always. I started with a 3/4 gurney flap and 5 degreees AOA, but that left the car too slow, so in the end we took of the flap and left the wing at 0 degs. So far its working. car still gets some power oversteer but top speed does not suffer as much. I took that Idea from the video of @ArizonaBOSS running against a white Boss 302 a while back. Cool to see how the unwinged car was faster on the straights but slower through the corners. Grip tends to win most of the time.

A cambered axle makes all kinds of sense on paper.. but..Still not sure If I can justify one. Looking forward to seeing your results!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cool. tuned in as always. I started with a 3/4 gurney flap and 5 degreees AOA, but that left the car too slow, so in the end we took of the flap and left the wing at 0 degs. So far its working. car still gets some power oversteer but top speed does not suffer as much. I took that Idea from the video of @ArizonaBOSS running against a white Boss 302 a while back. Cool to see how the unwinged car was faster on the straights but slower through the corners. Grip tends to win most of the time.

A cambered axle makes all kinds of sense on paper.. but..Still not sure If I can justify one. Looking forward to seeing your results!
Stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

The added wing angle and large end plates was worth 2 seconds at Sonoma. (almost all turns) I went faster at Laguna as well but with those long straights I feel like I'm dragging a parachute. This is the right direction to go, I'm sure of it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
First thing I did to my 9 Lives win (Wang) was take off the large endplates I asked for and put on about 25% bigger ones. But was thinking of making some bigger ones along the lines of the ones you put on.

Dam but those have my magical BS-1 stickers. later then

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
First thing I did to my 9 Lives win (Wang) was take off the large endplates I asked for and put on about 25% bigger ones. But was thinking of making some bigger ones along the lines of the ones you put on.

I bet he has more...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Fabman one other thing you might consider trying as a stopgap is the Torque Arm. I haven't used this but @captdistraction has, and I believe he's been quite fond of it in this respect (putting power down).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

@Fabman one other thing you might consider trying as a stopgap is the Torque Arm. I haven't used this but @captdistraction has, and I believe he's been quite fond of it in this respect (putting power down).
I’ve been on a Cortex torque arm and watts link since about my 3rd track day. My second track day I had the JRI coil overs. All I’m missing at this point is the cambered rear and I’m excited to finally complete the package.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Yes, I'm a big believer in that admittedly heavy appliance. I'm going faster than I did on the very optimized upper control arm setup I had, and I've been more consistent with the car and I've eliminated a tendancy to spin in certain corners that would cost me races (I lost great positioning in about 7 races as the car was too touchy on throttle in corner exit). The Torque arm doesn't seem to have any disadvantage compared to the UCA setup (and I believe it was a compliance issue with rod end to rod end not jiving with the tires on throttle). It's resulted in a much easier car to drive at the limit, and you can save the car more easily if you tiptoe past the limit.

TMO Supporting Vendors