Coyote - oil flow on road course with sticky rubber?

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by spiller, Aug 8, 2017.

1. spiller

spiller TMO Intermediate

Interesting. Why is the pump required in order to make this work? Ive been led to believe the GT350 and Coyote have similar/same oil pump
    only difference being the material of the oil pump gears.

For the record, today I learnt of a GTPP here in Aus that recently had bearing failure due to oil starvation in an on-track situation running on Michelin Pilot Supersports. This car was N/A.

2. Shonuff82

Shonuff82 TMO Intermediate

The gt350 pan has an integrated pick-up w/ a larger OD that will not fit in the base s550/197 oil pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS and spiller like this.
  3. spiller

spiller TMO Intermediate

Ah, thank you for that info.

4. Competition Orange

Competition Orange TMO Intermediate

Aftermarket engine parts?

I've not heard of any stock engines blowing up on track. A few high RPM cars tuned pushing close to 8k though.

5. spiller

spiller TMO Intermediate

I'm not sure, it was modified but I'm trying to ascertain what those mods were. The concerning thing is the tires. MPSS are by no means a grippy tire in a track setting.

6. bpracer

bpracer Mark

I had a student's GT non-PP S550 die at the track. Got a little chime warning, no oil pressure, no power, oops...

Not sure if it lost the oil pump our spun a rod bearing first. Metal bits in the oil though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

spiller likes this.
  7. spiller

spiller TMO Intermediate

What sort of rubber was he running? Seems odd for the oil pump to have let go on a stock engined car.

8. bpracer

bpracer Mark

It was a stock, base, S550 GT, stock Pirelli tires. Oil was fresh, I could tell that when we pulled the dipstick. But, there was trash in the oil.

He was a NATO fighter pilot trainee. All his fellow countrymen brought their cars to the track to run a track day. Hellcat, a GTPP, and some other sporty model... It was too bad, he progressed very quickly as you would hope from a young fighter pilot. Took instruction very well. He wasn't abusing the car, but was going fairly quickly. He didn't immediately realize what the loss of power was, but I've been their before....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9. spiller

spiller TMO Intermediate

That's a sad story...hopefully Ford stepped up to the plate for him.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  10. F.D. Sako

F.D. Sako TMO Addict

Regarding running extra 0.5-1.0 qrt of oil in S197s, i believe it was advised in the owners manual. Not sure if it was a boss/PP only thing or not, but I remember reading it in a ford document.

11. OCPONY

OCPONY TMO Intermediate

Just to confirm similar instance as Steve. My Code_Blu car with a built 5.2 voodoo/CPC also burped oil through Driver's side catchcan into the intake tube into the filter and then sucked back through the engine. It had been overfilled by almost a quart.I got black flagged but didn't realize any issue other than some droplets on my windshield. Vented hood allowed the oil to blow through vents and deposit some on windshieldI The dipstick has an oring and needs to be push fully down to get an accurate reading. This was at LVMS outer course during OUSCI. After draining the oil to just below the top mark on the dipstick we ran two more sessions without any more issues.
    This is running BFG Rivals at 1.2G in corners and even more in braking zones. She burped coming out of turn 2 after the straight away rt turn and turn two was rt turn. I have run 10* banks at Pike Peak with lefts turns and not had any issues. I don't recommend add any oil over the top mark on dipstick like we did with the Gen one Coyote/Boss motors.

12. sigintel

sigintel TMO Beginner

Just saw this thread.
    GT350 pump and pan worked for me.
    Did the swap with motor in vehicle and just used the engine support frame and backup chains on the front member dropped a couple inches.

Details:
    Brief pressure loss 2015 GT w NT01 305 square Texas World Speedway (RIP) turn 7 upset (on camber). Also once going into turn 1 during evasive. WOT (banked), to max brakes (tire smoke traffic ahead). Wasnt sure exact cause, WOT to braking add in chassis upset coming off high banking into flats and left input got a huge response. Light flicked on.
    Wasn't sure I was having fun anymore.

I decided I had enough to focus on and watching/glancing at oil pressure light had to stop.

Did the GT350 pan and pump swap, TSS forged oil pump gears, MMR forged timing gear, ATI crank damper.
    Did not pull motor and it was not bad at all.
    Borrowed engine support frame from Ford tech and just followed the Helms/Ford manual on the laptop while drinkn beer.
    Much more relaxing to not worry about oil starve.
    Integrated baffling on the GT350 pan is impressive. I always run under capacity (?10qt GT350) so I am hitting lowest hole to lower hash marks at CHT 220F.
    Car is supercharged and drives like a pickup truck (lots of fun...). Previous track rat was an NSX.

ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  13. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

The procedure to install/remove the timing system seems very intimidating from afar, but it is actually very straightforward if you follow the manual (as @sigintel ) mentioned. Upgrading to billed oil pump gears is HIGHLY recommended if you are going to be in there.