The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Data Logging for a Newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It does not gather OBD data.

Ale, the Garmin Virb seems like what I want. It says it has 10k GPS which is much better than a phone's GPS. If I paired this with TrackAddicts for lap times and such and rendered the two together, can I choose to take the GPS data from the video file over the TrackAddicts phone data?

@Fabman the Catalyst looks like the best all-in-one package but $1000 is a lot for my cheap ass and I'd prefer a camera position that shows my steering and shifting inputs like you'd get from a roll bar position
It has a remote camera, I imagine you could mount that wherever you like.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
cam.PNG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Garmin catalyst is a good compromise for intermidate beginner people. Also no OBD.
I still vouch for apex pro :)
I looked at that briefly when it first came out. Unfortunately I'm color blind so the colored lights thing might not work as well for me.

I looked at that briefly when it first came out. Unfortunately I'm color blind so the colored lights thing might not work as well for me

You dont watch them at all while driving. Is about what the system offers for data reviewing. Is connected to my ipad. I do the session come out and review data right away cause is all there. U can compare laps. Speeds. See gain and loss. G. Gears. Rpm. Etc. Without the need to plug a computer connect etc.
I'll bring it to the shop next time. Ps. I need some stuff lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You dont watch them at all while driving. Is about what the system offers for data reviewing. Is connected to my ipad. I do the session come out and review data right away cause is all there. U can compare laps. Speeds. See gain and loss. G. Gears. Rpm. Etc. Without the need to plug a computer connect etc.
I'll bring it to the shop next time. Ps. I need some stuff lol
I’m here for you man. Lol.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I think my next step forward would be the Garmin Virb or a Go Pro and pair that with TrackAddicts data. That should be fine for now. Then add Apex Pro later on.

I still really like the price and simplicity of the RacePak Vantage but like Ale said, if it's a pain to use on RaceRender, probably not worth it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
The HPTuner Website Forum in the TrackAddict section they talk about reducing the shaking in the video with different mounts. I have an iPhone 12 that is horribly shaky and will try some of the mounts in a couple of weeks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
Trackaddicts + Gopro works really well if you are comfortable with racerender. I switched to a Catalyst when Garmin released the "export with overlay" update and it's really nice to not have to make sure the Go Pro is charged and online - I just wish it had ODBII.

I'm new to video and data logging also. Track Addict question please. I have a friend that upgraded cell phones and wants to get rid of his old one. It has a better camera, I think more storage and more powerful than what I have. I have no reason to upgrade and transfer over everything from my phone. I'm pretty simple and do not use it for much. I wonder if I can use the deactivated phone as a dedicated track device. Have nothing on it other than TrackAddict. Does anyone know if Track Addict can work with no cell service? I can add the app on wifi and add any tracks to the app list on wifi. A see a couple articles say GPS still functions with no data. If I need to do anything with video I could do at home or on wifi at the track- still researching race renderer.

Thanks!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm new to video and data logging also. Track Addict question please. I have a friend that upgraded cell phones and wants to get rid of his old one. It has a better camera, I think more storage and more powerful than what I have. I have no reason to upgrade and transfer over everything from my phone. I'm pretty simple and do not use it for much. I wonder if I can use the deactivated phone as a dedicated track device. Have nothing on it other than TrackAddict. Does anyone know if Track Addict can work with no cell service? I can add the app on wifi and add any tracks to the app list on wifi. A see a couple articles say GPS still functions with no data. If I need to do anything with video I could do at home or on wifi at the track- still researching race renderer.

Thanks!
I think your plan will be fine. GPS will work without cell service and that's all you need to get data on Track Addicts

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Salt Lake City, UT
I think your plan will be fine. GPS will work without cell service and that's all you need to get data on Track Addicts
For a simple , easy to use system that gives you good basic data the Garmin Catalyst is hard to beat (about 1k). For complete info and to see if this might work for you I would call Ronnie Swyers at Product41.com. Ronnie is an instructor at Ford Performance Racing School and a really good guy.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Trackaddicts + Gopro works really well if you are comfortable with racerender. I switched to a Catalyst when Garmin released the "export with overlay" update and it's really nice to not have to make sure the Go Pro is charged and online - I just wish it had ODBII.

Is there a good YouTube for these two app usages and setups? I'm deciding on pros and cons.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I did one for Track Addict to Race Render a while back for those that have yet to figure it out.

I'm going to do some stuff with GEMS in the future, just don't have enough data to make it useful.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
It's interesting to see some of the driver data on the vid screen, but it's a luxury as opposed to a necessity. If you can get a data logger which logs car data (something that plugs into the OBD port) and a cheap Go Pro for video, then you're in pretty good shape. The data logger would be something like an Aim MXm. Even if the video doesn't have the data married to it, you've got a ton of info.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I did one for Track Addict to Race Render a while back for those that have yet to figure it out.

I'm going to do some stuff with GEMS in the future, just don't have enough data to make it useful.

Cool, great how-to, will go this route first since have GoPro captures normally. Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors