The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Demon Brake Dust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
What the hell??? If you can't use ape pressure, it'll never come clean. I use a wire wheels and a 600 HP wire wheel on a grinder. What was once 19 inch wheels are now 18s. Probably 17 by next year.

Abrasive powders are hell on my black Forgestars and soon, on my Apex wheels. I use a spray on Sonax wheel cleaner and scotch brite pads but as Grant said, one must not get gorilla aggressive. The other trick is to avoid buildup. The longer you let that dust sit, the more monkey you'll have to put into it. Which in the end will leave you feeling like a baboon.

Wiped loose dust to show parts that are bonded and caked on:
39933868200_59fc7bc748_c.jpg

39933867140_4775a2f642.jpg

Not 100% clean, but you get the idea for a minute worth of effort.
40842119555_39fb51da79_c.jpg

The main thing to remember is that the dust you are removing *IS* abrasive, so don't use too much downward pressure and don't use the towel/cloth until it's loaded with removed dust. Let the powder do the work and shear the stuff off. Hope that helps!
Well thank you Mr Miyagi, all kidding aside, just tried it on one of my powder coated wheels with some stains and it worked great.
Now to develop a marketing name and a quick over label and a glossy website and I’m on my way to free track days. Yeah.......

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
lol. And don't forget to 'wax on' lakeside-san. :D;)

Which in the end will leave you feeling like a baboon.

ooh-ooh. WAH-ooh. :D

Yeah, felt pretty dumb when I got back from vacation and saw it all solidified...

At least it lead to a workable solution for me. I used to be afraid to let them get dirty.

TMO Supporting Vendors