The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

Having owned a Steeda (same as JLT) and having seen a Moroso in person I think the Peterson breather is the way to go but at a cost $$$. The JLT is $, the Moroso is $$ and this option is $$$. I didn't like the canister just hanging there and the Moroso is not mounted in the ideal location. This setup is much cleaner looking and completely out of the way but probably overkill for most of us. I'm not opposed to a bit of overkill every now and then and besides the Boss is a RCWALP. 8)

NFSBOSS said:
Having owned a Steeda (same as JLT) and having seen a Moroso in person I think the Peterson breather is the way to go but at a cost $$$. The JLT is $, the Moroso is $$ and this option is $$$. I didn't like the canister just hanging there and the Moroso is not mounted in the ideal location. This setup is much cleaner looking and completely out of the way but probably overkill for most of us. I'm not opposed to a bit of overkill every now and then and besides the Boss is a RCWALP. 8)

Very true but not over kill IMHO, you get a few extra ponies but more what's important is NO oil back into the inake and top of the motor. when i first got the Boss I was burning or sucking through the system a quart a day on track. It has calmed way down and I assume most of that is because of the breather. At least I found a good home for the JLT unit I bought, stuck it on the F150 ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
how much oil are you guys seeing in your cans? I get an ounce or two an month if that. I drive the car hard everyday. I just dont see the need to spend 400 bucks on a catch can that holds a liter. Does look cool. when a price comes out with bracket I will make a final decision. for me that is money towards my long tube headers that I want.

Justin said:
how much oil are you guys seeing in your cans? I get an ounce or two an month if that. I drive the car hard everyday. I just dont see the need to spend 400 bucks on a catch can that holds a liter.

Well, these things are only needed on track/race cars running high rpms for hours per day. It's overkill for anything that can be done on the street. You will be in jail long before there is even an ounce of oil in the catch can. The liter capacity is just to meet the letter of racing rules. I agree that it is an expensive option for most people (though I think I did mine for just a bit over $200).

I don't want to goof-up anyone's business venture, but I also need to point-out a downside that I don't think has been mentioned a single time. One of the advantages of this system is that nothing is put back into the intake. The flip side of that is that fumes are escaping (by design) from the can, which is sitting right at the fresh air intake of your HVAC. You WILL smell fumes in the cabin. I noticed it and my girlfriend noticed it. It isn't horrible or unbearable (especialy if you are a motorhead), but it is noticable and some people will not like it. At the risk of some ire, I think it's better for people to know now, rather than later.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
YellowBoss said:
OK, I talked with cp85gt about his bracket. Since he came up with this idea this kit can be put together and sent out ready to attach to your Boss with no drilling or cutting. He does not want to make a bunch of brackets and I understand fully, however with his permission I can talk with the shop that made the exhaust discs about making these. The kit would come complete as I said, Boss 302S breather can, bracket, braided hose cut to length and assembled to fittings, Ford tube to replace the PCV and caps for the intake and intake tube.

This can be done by anyone without a great deal of mechanical know-how. What you will need to do is:
Remove existing hoses, they snap off, no tools required.
Attach bracket with one nut and bolt.
Replace PVC with hollow Ford OEM tube.
Snap on the two fitting, no tools required.

I need to do some work on the pricing but it will not be much more then getting all the parts on your own. To make this work I will need to have at least 10 people interested. If you are interested reply below, PM me here or email sjrsw @ yahoo.com.

I am interested!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Jimmy Pribble said:
Well, these things are only needed on track/race cars running high rpms for hours per day. It's overkill for anything that can be done on the street. You will be in jail long before there is even an ounce of oil in the catch can. The liter capacity is just to meet the letter of racing rules. I agree that it is an expensive option for most people (though I think I did mine for just a bit over $200).

I don't want to goof-up anyone's business venture, but I also need to point-out a downside that I don't think has been mentioned a single time. One of the advantages of this system is that nothing is put back into the intake. The flip side of that is that fumes are escaping (by design) from the can, which is sitting right at the fresh air intake of your HVAC. You WILL smell fumes in the cabin. I noticed it and my girlfriend noticed it. It isn't horrible or unbearable (especialy if you are a motorhead), but it is noticable and some people will not like it. At the risk of some ire, I think it's better for people to know now, rather than later.
thats what I was thinking. thanks

NFSBOSS said:
Yep I've noticed the fumes too.

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?

Lance: What?

Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.

Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
[sniffing, pondering]

Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

To add to what Jimmy said, this is also changing the system and may not be legal for your state. However the way I plan to go about this the factory system with all it's original parts can be put back in minutes. I personally have not smelled any fumes in my car but trust what Rick and Jimmy have said.

It comes down to several reasons to get this,

You track the car - I would add it 100%

You want zero oil be sucked into the intake, the oil separatorsrs will stop most but not all of the oil. For people that do not get on the car hard the oil separators will do the trick.

Last you want to have a cool mod under the hood and can live with the things mentioned.

I don't mind any comments about this system, good or bad. I have had several requests before from people about putting together a complete kit. The idea was made complete with the bracket making it a no drill install. I do not plan to get rich doing this by any means. It does take a while to put it all together and that is why I wanted at least 10 to start with to make it worth doing.

Right now it looks like it is a go by the number of people responding here and privately. I called the shop to make a prototype. When finished I need to go down to test fit it and see if any modifications are needed. Since I did not come up with the idea I want to make sure it all fits well not that I am questioning the person that came up with this.

One thing that can be done to hold down costs is send the bracket bare stainless steel, have a track car you can leave it. Want to take a low cost option, spray bomb it and those that want a detailed finish can get the bracket powdered coated themselves.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Great! Let us know when you have some pricing details. Personally, I don't care about the finish of the bracket, I'm happy to spray it myself. Powdercoating not required...it's a bracket.

I sent the drawing for the bracket today to my shop. It is going to take a few days to make it then we have to do a test fitting, if all goes well I will have the first 10 ordered soon. Many of you know me from the disc project, as stated I am not trying to make a living on these. I will price out the kit by materials, any expenses from travel etc. and something for time.

I have about five people right now that have said they want one straight up, interest has been better then I thought. I will put a post in the classified with their usernames and they will be guaranteed one of the first ten. If you want on the list let me know, if I put you on, if you are on the list but still unsure let me know. Keep in mind I will need to lay out a few thousand just for the first few of these and that is why they are limited. After that if interest continues I may continue the project.

OK, first snag - it's always something :(

The 13 firewall is different from the 12 and not sure how this will effect the bracket. Someone with a 13 please post a few pics of the area betwwen the battery and intake, from standing in front of the car and from the passenger side. I can't find a good pic right now and do not remember if there is a place to hang the bracket.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel