The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

I will leave the list here for now not the classified section

I have first 10 confirmed, I have room for one more.
F.D. Sako p
Giddyup
VTBoss302 p
Dig-It p
captdistraction
Black KR p
LS110 p
Eric p
gremlinsteve
zzyzx p
Jerry p

If you are on the list and do not want to be let me know. If you want to be on a future list likewise let me know.

To answer some questions:

When I get these done I will post a how-to with pictures. It will take minutes to install and no original parts will be cut, drilled or destroyed including the PVC. You will need a pair of pliers for the PVC, one half twist and it pops right out, also a screw driver to tighten clamp on the two caps used to block off the intake and intake tube. It's that simple anyone can do it because all the hose cutting, measuring, assembling fitting, etc. will be done.

zzyzx

Steve
YellowBoss said:
thanks, when you get time please measure (1) from the center of the hole to the downward bend on the right side and (2) from the center of the hole to the middle of the intake. (3) Also (not pictured) from the hole center rearward to the crease in the plastic cover.

(1) 32 cm

(2) 28 cm

(3) 5.6 cm

YellowBoss said:
Are you in or out before final pricing?

In.

Thanks for doing that.

Best I can tell there is not a difference between the 12 and 13, maybe only some or all the 302S or R's were modified. I measured mine and came up with the same as above. I also looked at pictures of both years and I do not see a difference and it is very easy to spot the difference in cars that were modified. However I do not have a 13 in front of me so if you are on the list for your 2013 and you are still unsure if it will fit you can back out now. I am not a business and can't be taking these back, cost would be way to high for me.

It really looks like the 2013 firewall mounting point is in the same exact location. As a hedge, since you are having someone fab these up, you could have the top mounting hole slotted for a little adjustment. It should not cost anything more to do this if they are using a punch press for the holes. I was able to take my car out today, (66 degrees in Hiram today) for a nice 45 minute drive and I did notice some fumes both on and off the gas. I set the hvac to the re-circulate setting and got fairly aggressive with some 7000+ rpm shifts and did not notice any fume smell for the rest of the drive (about 20 minutes). So, obviously, not drawing in air from below the windshield will negate the fumes from entering the cabin so if anybody is worried about that there is an easy adjustment. There is a rubber gasket attached to the hood that seals the hood to the top plastic firewall piece but does not extend all the way to the edge of the hood. I thought the cowl is a high pressure area but apparantly the underhood pressure is high enough to let the fumes out which then get trapped in the cowl and into the hvac inlet.

Next weekend I'm making a 200+ mile drive to ThunderHill raceway. On the way up I'm going to run it stock but on the way home I'll cover the vent holes closest to the breather with some black duct tape and see if that makes any difference. I like fresh air coming through the cabin so I'd prefer not to use recirc all the time.

OK, little update - Good and Bad

The good is I ordered the canisters at the cheap price for the guys on the list.

Bad is I ran into a snag with my car, it is still at the shop getting a different length drive shaft. I will not get it back till Wed or Thurs of next week. In any case still waiting on the shop to finish the first bracket so i could not test fit it until that is done anyway. This will be done as soon as I can so don't worry.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Hi Scott,
Is it too late to get in on this? I have a 2012 BOSS and am interested. What is the price?
Thanks.
-- Jim

Jim
No firm price yet, read up for a better idea. One person backed out so let me know in a PM if you want that one.

YB, don't forget to add me to your list. Hopefully your rear seat will be heading my way very soon.
On a side note, Rick, how is that Airaid Carbon CAI, looks nice, seen 'no conclusive power gains' has been discussed on here, but I like the sound tube delete incorporated into it. Also concerned if the hood vents on the '13 will cause water to ingress on the filter! Anyone have one on a '13?
Don't want to hijack the thread, but it is slightly related!

540paul said:
YB, don't forget to add me to your list. Hopefully your rear seat will be heading my way very soon.
On a side note, Rick, how is that Airaid Carbon CAI, looks nice, seen 'no conclusive power gains' has been discussed on here, but I like the sound tube delete incorporated into it. Also concerned if the hood vents on the '13 will cause water to ingress on the filter! Anyone have one on a '13?
Don't want to hijack the thread, but it is slightly related!
Thanks. The Airaid works fine but I make no claims of added HP. I purchased it for looks and if I ever do a tune I'm all set. There are a few BMO members that have them. The quality is top notch and the fit is OEM quality.

just an update on the deletion of my oil separator. since i did the mod i have driver this car some 100 miles or more. at speed. it has shown no sign of under hood mess at all like some said it might. i know its still not "legal" at the track but ill change that out soon.

steve

Good news, the brackets are being done, I am just waiting on my car so I do a quick test fit. I need to make sure it works 100%. The price came in the lower end of what I was expecting so it will not add greatly to the overall cost. All the guys on the above list will be getting a PM shortly, when I look over some final details I will post the price public here.

One thing to keep in mind is the bracket will be unfinished. You can have it powdered coated or hit it with a spray bomb. The rest of the kit will be ready to pop on. The only feedback I received was for unfinished brackets and it was all in or out for me on that part.

Price will be $335 shipped US, Canada maybe 10-15 more. That will depend on getting the canister at the lowest price. I am not taking any orders until I finish the first round, I will announce that when I am ready. The kit as stated will be complete and an easy install with braided type hose and black fittings. Kit included unfinished bracket.

Another update, should have started another thread about this.

Summit shipped the order but they had only one AN -10 -12 fitting in stock. I called and asked if they had another brand I could substitute, even at a higher price, they had nothing in stock. They tell me it will be shipped in another week, sorry about this but there is nothing I can do about it.

At least I did get the other parts and will be able to make all the needed lines, then add the fittings and ship.

canisterparts_zps9b7a0592.png

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel