The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

KBBOSS1086 said:
I'm going to try to do some more experimenting tomorrow but if anyone has anymore thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks for all the comments and ideas already, everyone.
Someone swapped your roadrunner for a Chevy.

I did take the Boss out today, and the car ran perfect. Idle was fine with no sucking noise at shutoff. I gotta believe system just needed to reset with the new breather kit. When I initially let it idle for five minutes, it was struggling to find a smooth engine rpm. Also, today I ran the heater full blast, then air conditioner, defroster, etc... with all the different mode settings, and I smell no oil fumes. I have no idea how some mention fumes inside the car?

KBBOSS1086 said:
I'm obviously no expert on this but my understanding is that with the stock setup the intake would pull vacum from the cylinder heads, which caused blow by (oil in the intake). This kit eliminates the PCV valve on the passanger side (the drive side was and is now still just a vent tube), allowing the engine to vent to the peterson canister, thus eliminating the vacum from the intake to the cylinder heads and the blow by.

That is sort of correct. The tube on the drivers side is used to pull fresh air in, that is why an oil separator is not needed there. The tube on the passenger side is used to evacuate the "dirty air", the PCV valve regulates the amount that passes using the intake vacuum. The system does not cause blow-by, that is just a symptom of a piston engine.

Using the breather can eliminates vacuum and does not make or add any pressure or vacuum. It just lets the engine breathe in a safe manner. There will be some pressure build up caused by blow-by and that is why we have to do something like this rather then just capping off the tubes. Again, the amount of pressure who not be enough to cause the noise you are saying you hear, IMHO. I would need to see a video to hear what you are talking about. Even so the best thing to do is take it to a qualified tech to see if they can diagnose the problem.

wny354 said:
I have no idea how some mention fumes inside the car?

It all depends on the conditions, how hard you drive etc. I get a strong smell of gear oil in my car at Daytona with the breather can in the trunk. At other tracks I do not smell it at all.

Scott: Here is a link to some video I shot a little while ago. Prior to shooting it I double checked all the hoses and fittings i could see. I also removed the foam next to in the intake and around the fuel rails. Not that it would affect the vacum sound but I was surprised how loud the engine is...sound almost like a diesel! When you hear the puffing I'm slightly and quickly tapping the throttle. Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCgH5gkO4t0&feature=youtu.be

The ticking was always there...just sounds louder now that the foam is removed. As for the sucking sound, I'm not sure. You can't hear it with hood closed. After I installed the can I just happend to tap teh throttle while standing half way outside the car with the hood up. The sound only happens right at the begining of a quick throttle tap. The repetitive sucking you hear is me tapping the throttle many times in a row wiht out letting it rev.

Ok, I did some more troubleshooting today and here is what I found...

The tick is far less noticable than in the prior video when the engine is hot. Still, it concerns me a bit. Isn't there a TSB for a tic that is caused by the A/C pulley?

I put everything back to the stock configuration (minus an intact PCV valve - I used the punched out one) and the vacum noise went away. Then I connected the passanger (punched out PCV valve) to the peterson can and left the driver side connected to the air tube (as it would be in the stock setup). I started the car and the vacum returned like in my earlier video.

Then I switched it up and put the passanger side back to stock (except for the punched out PCV) and connected the driver side vent to the peterson can. Instead of getting a vacum sound it was a like blowing vortex type of sound...kind of like it was pushing the air out through the can.

So what I think I've found is that the passanger side is sucking through the can and the driver side is pushing air (pressure out through the can.

Any ideas what this means? I'm going to take it to the dealer, but as with other problems I've had I'm not expecting them to dive into it and start trouble shooting. This doesn't sound right at all, but it's fine with the stock setup so they will likely listen to it and say it's "OK". Any suggestions what this might be and/or any tests I should ask the dealer to run to check the health of my motor?

I have no idea what could be causing these issues and without the car in front of me I doubt I can help. You are doing the right thing taking it to a qualified tech. If you installed the setup as written here that will not cause the noise. Many others have this setup without problems so there is something different on your car. Let us know what they say.

Okay, I need to take back my statement of "no fumes in the cabin". When the re-circulate is off you definitely get fumes inside the car with the breather kit. My question is ... Why does the re-circulate switch automatically go off (usually after a short period of time) when just using the heater or vent? Using the air conditioning with re-circulate on works great and the switch stays on, no fumes. But why does the switch go off using a mode other than air conditioning?

Would it be normal for some white smoke to come out of the valve covers after deleting the pcv valve? I have this setup on a supercharged Coyote, had it on there since last year. Figured I'd put this breather setup on and ditch the JLT catch can I had running on both sides. Sitting at a stop light the other day I saw some white smoke coming out of the hood on the passenger side where I have the can at, small amount not a lot but noticeable. I pulled the connections to the valve cover today and started the car and small amounts of white smoke were coming out of both valve cover tubes. Normal?, or a sign of something?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
s197onspray said:
Would it be normal for some white smoke to come out of the valve covers after deleting the pcv valve? I have this setup on a supercharged Coyote, had it on there since last year. Figured I'd put this breather setup on and ditch the JLT catch can I had running on both sides. Sitting at a stop light the other day I saw some white smoke coming out of the hood on the passenger side where I have the can at, small amount not a lot but noticeable. I pulled the connections to the valve cover today and started the car and small amounts of white smoke were coming out of both valve cover tubes. Normal?, or a sign of something?
after a hard run it might be normal just starting and it idling I wouldnt think so. might want to do a compression test and a leak down test.

s197onspray said:

That will happen if you use a catch can setup with the lines running the way they are suppose to run from the factory and delete the PCV (but out the exhaust). I have not seen or heard of it happening when you add the canister setup as a breather. Is your setup exactly the same as posted here? The intake and air tube capped off and lines from both valve covers to the breather?

Yes mine is exactly like this setup to a tee. I removed the guts of the passenger side pcv and popped it back in. I use the Peterson breather can just like on here and ran Fragola nylon braided hose -8AN from both valve covers to the can. I have no issues with the car and my Aeroforce reads 22 in/hg at idle. In the 8 months that I have had this setup on I have never had to empty it and the total accumulation has been maybe a tea spoon in that time frame. I can smell fumes in the cabin when I don't run the air circulator which I see is common. I'm not sure if it has been smoking since the beginning, I just happened to notice it out the corner of my eye the other day. It does it at start up and and while idling whether on a cold start up or a warm start up. I'll do a compression and leak down test this weekend to determine if I need to build the bottom end. I was just wondering if anyone on here has noticed the same small amount of white smoke from the valve covers. What sucks is I'm building up my daily driver 93 F150 Lightning right now and it would suck to have to take on two builds at the same time.

Edit: Yes, all opening are capped off as they should be.

s197onspray said:
Welcome to BMO. I have not seen any white smoke coming out of mine and that includes tracking my car.

s197onspray said:
Yes mine is exactly like this setup to a tee. I removed the guts of the passenger side pcv and popped it back in. I use the Peterson breather can just like on here and ran Fragola nylon braided hose -8AN from both valve covers to the can. I have no issues with the car and my Aeroforce reads 22 in/hg at idle. In the 8 months that I have had this setup on I have never had to empty it and the total accumulation has been maybe a tea spoon in that time frame. I can smell fumes in the cabin when I don't run the air circulator which I see is common. I'm not sure if it has been smoking since the beginning, I just happened to notice it out the corner of my eye the other day. It does it at start up and and while idling whether on a cold start up or a warm start up. I'll do a compression and leak down test this weekend to determine if I need to build the bottom end. I was just wondering if anyone on here has noticed the same small amount of white smoke from the valve covers. What sucks is I'm building up my daily driver 93 F150 Lightning right now and it would suck to have to take on two builds at the same time.

Edit: Yes, all opening are capped off as they should be.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your car but check it as you wanted, I am not going to tell you otherwise. From what I know of the setup the smoke sitting up top is normal at startup but rarely seen with this setup. I am not sure why it happens after the car is running for a while but I am far from an expert with this. It may be for the same reason it is seen after the car has been sitting and re-started.

YellowBoss said:
I doubt there is anything wrong with your car but check it as you wanted, I am not going to tell you otherwise. From what I know of the setup the smoke sitting up top is normal at startup but rarely seen with this setup. I am not sure why it happens after the car is running for a while but I am far from an expert with this. It may be for the same reason it is seen after the car has been sitting and re-started.

No worries, I appreciate your opinion and help. I think just for a piece of mind I'll perform a compression test and depending on the results across the cylinders perform a leak down test as well. The smoke is a small amount but it is constant and not easily seen unless you're looking for it. I'm probably just over-thinking it. The car runs like a champ and I can feel all 615rwhp so hopefully all is good. If not I guess I'll have the motor built with some diamond pistons and a good set of rods and go for 1000rwhp.

Thanks

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
s197onspray said:
No worries, I appreciate your opinion and help. I think just for a piece of mind I'll perform a compression test and depending on the results across the cylinders perform a leak down test as well. The smoke is a small amount but it is constant and not easily seen unless you're looking for it. I'm probably just over-thinking it. The car runs like a champ and I can feel all 615rwhp so hopefully all is good. If not I guess I'll have the motor built with some diamond pistons and a good set of rods and go for 1000rwhp.

Thanks
yeah you sound like me something that others never notice I will see or feel and suspect the worse when its nothing. if my engine gives up the ghost I want to run that new ford racing block coming out and nice diamond pistons as well I have a set that I had made for my 3v that I never used they are works of art lol

Update on my excessive pressure / vacum after installing the breather can:

The car has been at the dealer for a week now. I removed the breather can and returned everything to stock before taking it in. I asked them to investigate the ticking and the usual misfire codes when I dropped the car off. I also told them that the car felt down on power in hopes that they would do some additional tests on the motor and possibly come accross what may be causing the excessive vacum / pressure noise that occurred when I installed the breather can. The tech left me a message today stating that they were still working on the misfire codes but did mention the tick or anything else.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and want to encourage them to do some tests that might determine what is causing the vacum/pressure noise that this there when the can is installed but I have no idea what to ask them to do. And I would rather not tell them that I installed the can, even though I only had it on for a short time.

I really want them to do something to check the excessive vacum / pressure coming from the crank case vent and PCV but it's only noticable when the breather can is installed. I can't think of a way to expalin to them that there seems to be excessive pressure or vacum. How would everyone else approach this with the dealer to get them to do additional testing? And what type of tests would you want done?

As always - thanks for any suggestions.

I watched the video by KBBOSS and it reminded me of the sound my motor makes with no breathers and me being such a freakin "nancy", now im worried sick !

Check out this vid i made in Oct. Please and let me know if this sounds normal or what ya think it might be... oh yea - i have kooks SSshortys and cat deletes.

Going from JDM tune to TrackKey via my SCT makes no difference in sound. I never heard it before until I made the video checking for that "ticking" sound.

Thanks Guys !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJN4Ow8GfgI

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel