The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Do you Have Track Key?

Have you installed the Track Key Optioin on your Boss?

• Yes

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And hot shoot you keep your track key I'll do what I want to my car, it'll be a lot better then your track key MMD wana knock me for wanting to spend 1,000 on my car that funny

Guys let's keep the name calling on the other forums.

Phiffzooted said:
Why are you all jumping down my throat

Seems to be an increase of that ^ over the past year. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
I would be interested in seeing the results of your tune and CIA. More out of a curiosity then anything, 444hp is enough for me for now. Good luck.

I am active only on THIS boss forum guys, and the reason is everyone is friendly , helpful, and there is a true ' camaradery' ( brotherhood) of Boss owners here. please keep it together, this is not a flame, troll, slandering forum like there are several out there for. who cares if Mr X paid however much , that doesn't make him less of a brother. spread the love not the hate, remember 1969 -1970 friends.

Phiffzooted said:
Why are you all jumping down my throat thought we all had the same car here and wee suppose to help each other. yes freehold ford in new jersey told me 300 for the voulcher and 250 install. I also thought that was a little too much that why I backed off and called another ford dealer they told me the same, now I wana purchase the steeda intake and purchase the tune and bring it to evolution in pa to do the work to tune. I don't see a big problem with that the tune I get from them should be better then any ford tune will be I want the full potential out of my car it's around 800 with tuner so why would I waste 550 and keep that ugly plastic black box yes it will be around 1,000 all together or more with installing but it a 50,000 car im not cheap and I'd rather spend that 550 on the tuner and intake and I'll be happy to post dyno tune as I will have More hp then the track key would make

Hey There - I bought my car from Dennis from Freehold Ford - live a few blocks from it. Really great guy !!! Freehold Ford wanted to charge me a crap ton for the track key and i laughed out loud - but their serive dept is very good but they just don't do racing. So I took it to Down Ford in Toms River. Ask for Rick if interested for a quote. He charged me cost + 1hr. labor and they are Ford Racing. Killer guys that know alot about the Boss. My car was shipped from MD cause at the time I purchased the 2012C/O was gettting REALLY hard to find.

Good Luck which ever way you go. I am really happy with track key and once the ticket is up i;ll probably get a different tune as most Boss owners prolly will as well.

Rob

Trackey installed last Friday - I have 100+ miles with the red key since then and am still experiencing pinging at medium to WOT under 2800 rpm. I have always run Sunoco 93 (from several stations) in the car. I am taking my car to Pocono this weekend and want to try some race fuel to see if it fixes the pinging. Other than at the track (I'd prefer to not have to sell my first born for a tank of fuel), the only race fuel I can find in my area is Sunoco 260GTX. Sunoco's states the following about the fuel:

"Sunoco® 260 GTX™ is an unleaded racing fuel that contains no oxygenates and no metallic additives. 260 GTX is a good fuel for many applications that need more detonation protection than typical street gas provides, yet cannot use a leaded fuel. It has been shown to produce repeatable power levels in small block V8 engines to 12:1 compression ratio, and will tolerate more compression in engines with smaller or more efficient combustion chambers.

260 GTX is not a street legal fuel and is for off-road use only. However, it will not harm sensors such as oxygen sensors used in fuel injection systems. It is also an excellent choice where oxygenates such as alcohols and ethers are limited or banned by the engine manufacturer or sanctioning organization"

I'm looking for some feedback as to whether this fuel is safe to run in my 2012 Boss w/ Trackey. My biggest concern / question is whether fuel with 0% oxygen is safe for the car?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the back-to-back posts but I just had a thought...

I've heard the Trackey Tune is a bit lean at high RPM's (can't recall exactly why but I remember that some people had some concern about this). Anyway, will the unoxygenated gas possibly correct this, resulting in a better air/fuel ratio at higher RPM (w/ Trackey)? This would seem logical...does anyone have an opinion?

A lean AF means it has high air and low fuel, so adding oxygen to the fuel would lean it out if anything. But I doubt it does, as it is supposed to have the same knock resistance as the oxygenated fuel and it is the knock resistance that is the key.

Also on 91 octane CA gas (the worst in the country, unless you are pouring gutter water in your tank) I have had no noticeable knock at any RPM on TK, even at the track where in one corner I was lugging it to 3k rpm to prevent shifting while tracking out.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
back when I had my 96 cobra that was highly modded making over 600 to the tire in the summer it would do what you just described. I would just throw in a bottle of lucas octane booster (in the red bottle) this would raise the octane a full 8 octane and the detonation would go away. regardless you shouldn't be having this happen at all as it is designed to run off of 91. I would take it back to the dealer and have the contact ford racing to figure out what is wrong with the car. cause at this point raising the octane would just be a band-aid to a potentially bigger problem.

this is the stuff I am talking about if you want to try it
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=50&catid=8&loc=show
most auto parts stores sell it

Thanks for the reply. I understand that lean means there is more air. The 260GTX fuel is non-oxygenated (vs standard race gas that cotains 2-4% oxygen)...therefore (in theory) it should reduce the amount of oxygen and result in a richer air/fuel ratio. My thought is that gas with no oxygenation will run cooler and reduce the potential for detination and ping.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has used oxygen free fuel (or race fuel) w/ TK and/or knows if it is safe to run? I've read that the Boss 302S is callibrated for Sunoco 260GTX but I can't find anything about the base 302.

KBBOSS1086 said:
Trackey installed last Friday - I have 100+ miles with the red key since then and am still experiencing pinging at medium to WOT under 2800 rpm. I have always run Sunoco 93 (from several stations) in the car. I am taking my car to Pocono this weekend and want to try some race fuel to see if it fixes the pinging. Other than at the track (I'd prefer to not have to sell my first born for a tank of fuel), the only race fuel I can find in my area is Sunoco 260GTX. Sunoco's states the following about the fuel:

"Sunoco® 260 GTX™ is an unleaded racing fuel that contains no oxygenates and no metallic additives. 260 GTX is a good fuel for many applications that need more detonation protection than typical street gas provides, yet cannot use a leaded fuel. It has been shown to produce repeatable power levels in small block V8 engines to 12:1 compression ratio, and will tolerate more compression in engines with smaller or more efficient combustion chambers.

260 GTX is not a street legal fuel and is for off-road use only. However, it will not harm sensors such as oxygen sensors used in fuel injection systems. It is also an excellent choice where oxygenates such as alcohols and ethers are limited or banned by the engine manufacturer or sanctioning organization"

I'm looking for some feedback as to whether this fuel is safe to run in my 2012 Boss w/ Trackey. My biggest concern / question is whether fuel with 0% oxygen is safe for the car?

Thanks in advance.
You should take your car back to the dealer and have them reinstall TK. There have been reports of pinging but the vast majority of us don't. There's no reason for your Boss to ping with TK.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
running that fuel would be only for added protection as it wont give you any hp gain. in some cases if you run a high octane on a tune that is designed for less octane it will lose power. octane is just a measure of fuels ability to resist detonation and they make up for this by adding oxygen in the race fuels. This is from an article I read somewhere on the internet about race fuels vs fuel additives when I was looking for the fix to my cobra problems with humid fl air and access to only 93 fuels

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to call the Ford Racing Tech line if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow then maybe try the octane boost that Justin mentioned. As far as the track, I will probably mix some of the 260gtx fuel with 93 octane and see how it works. This should give me an average octane around 96-97 and less oxygen (richer A/F ratio).

As much as I hate to say it, I don't believe Ford has done a good job trainnig and fully educating their dealers and service techs on the Boss. Either that or the dealers just don't pay attention to the info that Ford provides. Everytime I contact one of the 3 local dealers I have to spend a great deal of time educating them, pointing them in the right direction and/or following up with them numerous times to get an answer. It's very frustrating and doesnt instill much confidence that my car is in good hands. This is why I will probably exhaust all options before going back.

Sunnyvale Ford, they have done a couple now and I had no problems. Ask for Jesus in service, he is the one who knows how it works. Chris in parts can order the package for you, unless you want to get it online. It is cheaper online. They needed the car for a few hours because they only have one tech who knows how to do it and he is pretty busy since he does all the ECU work for them. I heard that The Ford Store in Morgan Hill knows how to do it too, and have done a couple, but you are up north right? Maybe Sacramento would be closer for you, 5DOT0 is up there and may know a place.

I had it out at the track Sunday, running 91 octane from Chevron then 91 from the track pump and did not notice any pinging even though it was pretty hot and I was lugging it around Turn 11 at Sears Point. Car was working hard enough the ABS went nuts, but the motor ran great.

Here is an update on my Trackey issue - sorry for the length but there is a lot going on...

Last night I went for a quick ride and about 5 minutes in (after running steady betweem 4000-6000rpm) the check engine light came on the car went into limp mode. After about 5-8 seconds it went off and the car ran fine.

Checked my invoivce from the TK install and oil change and noticed that the dealer put 5w-20 full synthetic in it instead of the recommended 5w-50.

Went back to the dealer today and they changed the oil, replacing it with 5w-50. They also ran a diagnistic and found that the #4 cylinder had misfired, causing the engine light to come on and the car to go into limp mode. They ran a code 6 scan (I think) diagnostic after driving the car with both keys and found there were numerous misfires recorded during the TK test drive and none during the silver key test drive. The misfires they found were not enough to display the engine light or to activate limp mode and the car seemed to run fine.

The tech and service manager really had no clue about anything related to the BOSS...the SM actually told me that they are not a BOSS dealer so he can't work on BOSS specific parts. I guess he didn't realize that the stock Boss is 100% a Ford product, unlike SVT, Rousch etc. Anyway, it turns out that they did not follow the TK installation procedures and used a wireless router to program my car (instructions state to use a land line). So I have to go back tomorrow so they can re-install the program the proper way. As far as the multiple misfires they detected during their trest drive with TK, they again had no clue as to whether they were actually happening or where "phantom" codes caused by use of TK. Hopefully the re-install will correct everything or at the least, they will have a definiteive answer as to whether the phantom misfires are normal for TK.

As much as I love the car, it is so very frustrating that every dealer I talk to has no clue about hte products they are responsible for selling and servicing.

I also called the Ford Tech line prior to going to the dealer. The guy on the phone was adamant that initial pinging under heavy load was perfectly normal for TK. I told him I was under the impression that it should subside after a tank or two of gas (after the PCM learned). He told me that they had a special class on TK and that pinging was normal each and everytime you step on the gas when using TK for as long as you own your car.

I wasnt satisfied with this after having the engine light come on and asked to speak with or have my concerns relayed to a Boss Engineer. He asked that I send him an email outlining everythign happened and he woudl have someone look into it. I'm not holding my breath but I am hoping that someone gets back to me.

I'm glad you found out what the issue was. While I agree the dealer should know more about the car you have to realize they will only sell 8,000 globally when the production run ends. It's hard to justify a large scale training program for such a low volume car. If you have other local dealers try calling and talking to the service managers until you find one your comfortable working with.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel