The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

drag racing results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok, last night i went to virginia motorsports park and tested out my STOCK boss for the first time. i made a total of 7 passes, 5 of which i spun right off the line. launch control was set no higher 2500 RPM and as low as 1000 RPM (no launch control was used at the 1000 RPM launch. track key was used all 7 passes and traction control was disabled.

pass #1: 2500 launch, tires spun off the line, stock PSI
pass #2: 1500 launch, tires spun off the line, stock PSI
pass #3: 1000 launch, tires spun off the line, stock PSI
pass #4: lowered tire pressure to 22 PSI with a 2500 RPM launch, sun was out and it was 70 degrees at the time, i ran a 12.8et
pass #5: lowered launch control to 2000 RPM, same temperature, ran a 12.9et
pass #6: 2500 launch, 55 degrees-no sun, 22 PSI, spun off the line
pass #7: 1000 launch, 22 PSI, spun off the line.

i've viewed all the roadtest online and this car should run 12.3-12.4 with stock tires. i was dissapointed. i'm hoping the cause for spinning my tires was a lack of track prep as other shelby/ 5.0's were spinning too? i'm heading to E-town on the 7th hoping for consistent- improved results. i'll keep you posted.

any recommendations?

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
I haven't tried the track key using the launch control but I think using the stock tires it may be a hindrance more than a help. I've run mine a few times probably avg. around a 12.4 with a best of 12.27 all stock and I think the trick is to feed the clutch till you can get it rolling enuf to take full power. I guess that sounds obvious but IMO that is where the key is, proper modulation of gas & clutch.

Maui
When you figure it out let me know... I was spinning like crazy as well. I got better times without using the track key... but still not as good as your times... A pair of slicks would definitely help. I was eyeing some mickey thompson et streets... that would help for sure.

You might want to get a set of 15" rims. The 15s have a taller sidewall that will allow the tire to squat and get a better bite. That way you can get either a M/T Drag radial for street / strip driving , or a M/T slick just for the strip . A D/R tire press should be no lower then 16# and no lower then 10 # on the 26"-or 28"- 10.5 slick. either way both will feel squirmy on the top end.. Set both shocks and struts to the # 1 position, you want the front to rise and the rear to squat. I opted not to get the T/K. I have my own Line lock & MSD two step (RPM launch control)combined on the same switch. If later on you decide to take some weight out of the car, weigh everything that you remove and add that amount back to the rear, behind the axle. If you want to see the everyday launch of my 310 ci 98 cobra , no power adders. Google, Victor Downs nmra or Victor Downs Modular Depot. I am looking foward to running my Boss in two weeks.

thank you all for your input!

i've never modified any car before and i would really like to leave stock tires. i never would have thought i would have spun and made so many inconsistent runs. one thing i forgot to mention is that i set the front shocks at 5 and the rears at 4. maybe that could have been a contributing factor?

back in 2000, i bought new a camaro ss all stock, took it to e-town made times dumped the clutch from 2500-4000 rpm, the stock tires always hooked up. i never would have thought a 100+ HP increase would have caused this tire spin.

Ok I know where you are comming from the stock tire did nothing but spin for me well the other day it was in the 80s here and the streets were hot the stock tires hooked great it was amazing to me after playing around all winter figuring what the heck with those stock tire you just need to wait until it gets hot out then they will stick.

DA712

Mcode said:
thank you all for your input!

i've never modified any car before and i would really like to leave stock tires. i never would have thought i would have spun and made so many inconsistent runs. one thing i forgot to mention is that i set the front shocks at 5 and the rears at 4. maybe that could have been a contributing factor?

back in 2000, i bought new a camaro ss all stock, took it to e-town made times dumped the clutch from 2500-4000 rpm, the stock tires always hooked up. i never would have thought a 100+ HP increase would have caused this tire spin.

I left mine at 5 all the way around, I did lower the pressure in the rears to about 25#
I know on the day I ran in about 90 deg temps I struggled to get consistently under 12.6 The 12.27 happened on about a 68
degree day Just for what its worth....

That does make sense, I'll probably wait a month or 2 before I return to the track:

ET 12.867 @ 111.78
ET 12.935 @ 112.86

DA712

I've spent a lot a years racing MX of course a start is crucial in that sport, I think that has helped going to the strip with the Boss and other bikes and cars. I don't really think about what exactly I'm doing with the car but one thing I do know is I'm not putting very much if any rpm's into it on the line, that's why I don't think the launch control will help me much. I think drag radials would be fun but I am more motivated to see what I can do stock. I do have Rousch axle backs and the Rousch rear springs that level the car, I do consider that stock....

Here's my best slip and a picture gettin a holeshot on a strip only car.

7RJPB.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
well not sure if you did a burn out in the box....that there will kill your grip on stock tires. just a quick spin to knock the stones off and if you can go around the water. you have the mph to run much lower times.

I went around the water box and performed a light burn out to clean the tires off, nothing crazy

TMO Supporting Vendors