The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric cars... the cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well in the end, People will choose which way to go (also known as "the masses", the ones who choose glorious things like automatics and boring SUV family cars). And whether we like it or not, electric cars are way ahead of where they were 10 years ago. Down here our electric bill has dropped significantly with Solar and Windpower popping up like crazy. Would perfer geothermal or hydro, but, it is what it is....

I would have thought if we all went E85, it would be a long way to carbon neutral with the existing fuel and engine technologies. But that sounds to simple and sensible!

I don’t think the ICE is going anywhere for awhile but Evs are coming more and more. I just don’t understand how so many manufacturers can just jump in this band wagon and not look for other alternatives. It seems like there’s almost a free pass to try something different and find a better way and everybody just looks at Tesla and goes “hey they did it that’s a great idea!” I just don’t see how mining and tearing apart the earth is any better than drilling. Also I seem to remember years ago when Honda first came out with the insight that they cancelled it due to concerns of cancer with there being so much electricity around and in the car? I feel like that was 20yrs ago so how much electricity and cancer causing stuff is in a Tesla? On a side note my wife’s sister started dating a guy who has a Tesla I told her that if they want to come over he can park across the street lol if you don’t support gas and oil in this house you can get out! Lol (I’m a pipeliner gotta put food on the table)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Fuel cells! Whatever happened to them? Such huge potential but the only company I heard of doing anything was Hyundai and that seems to have disappeared as well. Supposedly they emit only water vapour. They run on hydrogen and are supposed to be zero emissions. Personally I like the idea and would be far more likely to buy a fuel cell car than a plug in electric.

They must be good, Musk seems scared of them he is quoted as having called them "mind boggling stupid". And yet they can be fueled in 5 minutes and perform like a gasser car does.

Everyone ignores all the negatives to generating grid power, it's as if it is magic and comes with no strings attached. Which is really dense thinking. About the only free ride on grid electric is with hydro installations, everything else has a big price environmentally. But it's virtually impossible to build new hydro because of all the NIMBY's out there.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Fuel cells! Whatever happened to them? Such huge potential but the only company I heard of doing anything was Hyundai and that seems to have disappeared as well. Supposedly they emit only water vapour. They run on hydrogen and are supposed to be zero emissions. Personally I like the idea and would be far more likely to buy a fuel cell car than a plug in electric.

They must be good, Musk seems scared of them he is quoted as having called them "mind boggling stupid". And yet they can be fueled in 5 minutes and perform like a gasser car does.

Everyone ignores all the negatives to generating grid power, it's as if it is magic and comes with no strings attached. Which is really dense thinking. About the only free ride on grid electric is with hydro installations, everything else has a big price environmentally. But it's virtually impossible to build new hydro because of all the NIMBY's out there.

Well ok... consider where the hydrogen comes from:

The vast majority currently is produced using fossil fuels with accompanying CO emissions. A small percent is "Green Hydrogen" that uses renewable energy to power electrolysis extraction from water.... and then were back what you've just stated above

No net environmental gain unless using green hydrogen which ultimately requires a lot electricity to produce. Producing green hydrogen is an additional process over just using the electricity directly. Agreed there's an upside, rapid refueling, eliminating batteries and maybe more efficient storage for on-demand use , but a massive hydrogen manufacture/storage/transportation/distribution infrastructure that doesn't yet exist will be required. But if you like the idea of fuel cells powered by green hydrogen, why not scale down the need for such a large infrastructure and replace the grid entirely with thousands of independent municipal mini-grid cells able to better support specific local demands and collectively, the millions of coming EVs? This would also eliminate possible grid crashes, other potential regional grid issues, and a bunch of long distance transmission lines, that need maintenance and cause wildfires.

While I'm a big fan of the EV I'm not a fan of fuel cells for the above reason. The energy efficiency is very poor. I think EV's are part of the solution but not the answer. The only viable answer at the moment is 3rd and 4th generation nuclear power plants. Wind and solar are not The Answer. I've now owned my Tesla for almost three years now. Guess how many times we've had the car in for scheduled maintenance? Zero times is the correct answer. IMO the EV is the superior daily driver. And manufacturers and dealers should stop focusing on range. The whole range anxiety thing is WAY overblown. I'm a fan of EV's for lots of reasons, saving the planet is not one of them.

I've now seen a couple of Mach E's in the wild so they are getting out there. Hopefully I can test drive one soon.

I believe they have said to transport the hydrogen they were planning on using existing natural gas pipelines but I could be wrong but if that’s the case there’s already plenty around and can always need more but I am biased

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Over the road trucking appears to be where the fuel cells are currently being worked on. Toyota is working with Kenworth. Nikola is another player. Tesla has been pushing batteries but they like the others are way behind on what they promised for production. Nikola claims that they will build the infrastructure for their hydrogen using solar power. Supposedly when you lease the truck it includes all fuel costs. We will see.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I've now owned my Tesla for almost three years now. Guess how many times we've had the car in for scheduled maintenance? Zero times is the correct answer. IMO the EV is the superior daily driver.
Scheduled maintenance has never been a criterion of ours with respect to whether any of our cars has been a perfectly acceptable daily driver.

What does make for a superior daily driver is if it is actively engaging and fun to drive . . . I'm spending enough money on this thing, it better be something I'm going to actively like to drive for as long as I keep it. Which on average has been something like 15 years.

And manufacturers and dealers should stop focusing on range. The whole range anxiety thing is WAY overblown.
In normal everyday use, perhaps not. But sometimes it is, and if it happens only a couple of times over the course of your ownership it's very likely going to be a big deal at those times. Kind of like the time on I-40 in NC where I ran a topped-off 18.5 gallon fuel tank down to the point where it took on 18.1 gallons. Only takes once.

Norm

Have you guys heard about the solar farm in Australia that will be sending power to Singapore? It's an ambitious effort, planning for 30,000 acres of panels. We're going to see a lot of innovation in the next ten years on the power generation, storage, and transmission fronts.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I am curious how they will insulate high voltage line which will be under water. Over ground lines stand-off from towers and ground. Cant do that underwater very easily. Why not simply place the panels in Malaysia?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel