The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust or Cold Air Upgrades Void the Warranty??? That's what I was told..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have told folks about the Moss-Magnuson Act for years , but will also state that one needs to remember it goes both ways. With the calibrations and computer programming in new vehicles it is very easy for a Manufacturer to say you have disrupted an integral part of the system when adding upgrades. We do a boatload of mods at our Dealership, but one must view what is done with some caution.

Couple of important points to address is that Ford has blessed the owner's with some terrific benefits and options that they do stand behind and cover. I frankly find it hard to understand why folks would want to do something other than a Trackey, when the Ford installed unit is fully warrantable , along with even allowing an extended service contract with Ford -- that is huge in my estimation. Headers often will code out( check engine light ) and most of the computers today do understand a flash outside the companies parameters. So items upgraded need to be viewed with the risk of the consumer.

An axleback would be very difficult to argue as a reason to void a warranty, but if a different tune was used and you had an engine failure, the risk comes back to the buyer -- Ford designed it to work a certain way and you changed what they set it at. More and more throttle bodies, mass airflow sensors, etc. are tied to specific metering and I do know of two vehicles that do not recommend a CAI or filter if they are oil based. It could cause a disruption in the mass airflow meter system due to thin droplets of oil.

All this should be viewed with common sense and not taken with fear, but the concerns have to be viewed to protect yourself , as one often forgets if a claim is denied, it may require an attorney to fight for your concern. So before you make some changes, ask yourself if it is a concern? Another example would be if you added camber plates. If you had a suspension problem, would it be wrong for the manufacturer to deny the claim as you had changed the set up --- this is the reality of what you may run into. This is where , though I am playing the devil's advocate, you really need to ask yourself if you could pay for the issue?

As consumers, many including myself , really stressed the protection under the law, but many are finding in today's market it protects both sides. With government regulations one may have other concerns once an area is changed , but the simplest idea is just to ask your Dealer. Sure you may get a ridiculous answer like the one that started this thread, but more than likely you will find out what can or cannot be done, and what may be on your own nickel. A water pump going out does not have a thing to do with an axle back, but could increased power from a set of headers be an issue stating the manufacturer did not build to this specification ( hence making the headers a possible cause ) -- these are the concerns that one really does face in the market today.

Having been in the Automobile business for over 20 years, I can honestly say the Boss's warranty, ability to have a factory upgrade to engine management, the ability to even obtain a long term extended warranty after install, makes it one of the most liberal and generous manufacturer contracts in the industry. We all need to just veiw what we can do and what could have some repurcussions, remembering that each side has a modicum of protection within the same statutes.

Respectfully Submitted,

Bill Pemberton

very well put

i know mopar has in there ecu the ability to determine if and what sensors have been unplugged. even if the engine has been removed. i know that as fact.
i would assume that fords ecu has the same ability.

one concern i have is what will ford do/say if they find out that you have been running the vehicle at a race track. will they squabble about a possible fix to any issue the vehicle might have?

CoolTechLLC said:
They claimed it would add roughly 25-30HP at the rear wheels, but I have heard this before and all I got was 10HP if that

We're getting 30-35RWHP with the Kook's full system. More importantly, we're getting strong results across the entire RPM range. Our Kook's equipped cars can visibly pull away from an OEM-exhaust car on racetrack straight-aways. If your looking for good, legitimate HP gains, this is a good way to go, although I do realize it is pricey and not for everyone.

Regarding the discussion of the sideplates on whether they're needed for backpressure, performance, etc. Much mis-information. 99% of the function of the sideplates is that you can tailor your exhaust sound/loudness quite inexpensively. One way or the other is not going to make any measureable difference in performance.

For those that may be interested in the Kook's set-up, please consider purchasing them for us - much appreciated.

We just bought a 2013 LS to join our 2012 LS. The 2013 is bone stock at the moment so we will get a baseline dyno and then a dyno run with the full Kook's set-up as another data point. Our headers just shipped from Kooks today, so give me a couple of weeks to get them coated and installed and we'll post more results.
Anxiously awaiting their resolution to the P0420 on this Kendall, then I'm in. My buddy said his LTs for the GT should be inbound soon from you. I'm looking forward to checking them out.

gremlinsteve said:
very well put

i know mopar has in there ecu the ability to determine if and what sensors have been unplugged. even if the engine has been removed. i know that as fact.
i would assume that fords ecu has the same ability.

one concern i have is what will ford do/say if they find out that you have been running the vehicle at a race track. will they squabble about a possible fix to any issue the vehicle might have?

My friend blew her LS engine on the track and Ford replaced it under warranty.

[/quote]

My friend blew her LS engine on the track and Ford replaced it under warranty.

[/quote]

What were the circumstances? Why did it blow?

TMO Supporting Vendors