The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extended Studs or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After my last track day my driver left wheel bearing started to come loose. Right now my daily tires are the stock 18x8s and my track tires are 19x9.5. I am planning in June to upgrade my brakes to the 6 piston Brembos. So, I am going to buy a new set of wheels for what was going to be my daily tires. However, does it make sense to get 19x10s or 19x11s and put my 275/35-19 tires on those and convert the 19x9.5s to my daily wheels? I’m asking bc I have to replace the hub assembly anyway and if so, should I go ahead and put on the arp extended studs so I can fit the bigger wheels up front? If I do this, are you able to keep on the 18x8s until the brake conversion with these studs or do I need spacers until then? Or is it not worth it and should I just do an oem replacement?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Agreed. When I was at CMP last March they almost failed my pre-race inspection because of my OEM studs. Mind you this is on a ‘66 so the studs might be considerably shorter than the newer cars. However, there were two threads passed the face of the nut, but I get it. In this case, longer IS better.

I already sent them pics of my new car...
1612116171287.jpeg

1612116199354.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The ARP studs are a good idea for anyone tracking their car, even if you do not need the length. The stock studs are not up to the stresses of the track on a car this heavy. I saw a car come off the track at Sebring a couple years ago on a wrecker missing a wheel. A closer look showed that all 5 studs sheared off. Like TMSBOSS said, you may need to use different lugs or spacers with your stock wheels, but it is definitely a good idea for safety.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Also, is it possible to press out the rear studs without taking the hub off the irs subframe?
You can on the S197, but not sure on the S550. There is a hole in the flange that allows the studs to be knocked out through the rear. You can install the new ones with a nut and a stack of washers. Just pull them through one at a time.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I think you have your answer now on whether or not to get the studs but you also asked if you should get 19x10 or 19x11 wheels. I started with 19x10 and just recently joined the 305 square club and I can confidently say go 19x11! As many on this forum will say, tires are the most important upgrade to going faster. Wider and stickier tires will get your times down by a substantial amount; they sure did for me.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Next question: I looked up what size tires fit on 19x11s and think my 274/35-19s on my current track wheels are the smallest tire that can fit on 19x11s. Is there a risk to putting my RS-4s on those wheels and putting all seasons the 9.5s to get full use out of the RS-4s before getting new track tires?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Thanks for all the feedback so far! Next question: I looked up what size tires fit on 19x11s and think my 274/35-19s on my current track wheels are the smallest tire that can fit on 19x11s. Is there a risk to putting my RS-4s on those wheels and putting all seasons the 9.5s to get full use out of the RS-4s before getting new track tires?
Don't put your 275s on an 11" wheel. I get that you're trying to get the most use out of the RS4's; in that case, just keep using what you have till you need new tires. Then at that point, buy some 19x11's and some new 305s to go with them.

Not that you asked but might I make some wheel suggestions?
Deep pockets: Signature wheels
Best value: Apex Wheels
On a budget: SVE wheels (check eBay for deals. LMR has an eBay account where you can frequently find great deals. I got my 19x11 set for $130 ea)

Get you some camber plates too. They'll make your tires last longer and it'll help turn-in.
Sorry, not trying to spend your money....ok, maybe trying just a little bit 😆

Last edited:
After my last track day my driver left wheel bearing started to come loose. Right now my daily tires are the stock 18x8s and my track tires are 19x9.5. I am planning in June to upgrade my brakes to the 6 piston Brembos. So, I am going to buy a new set of wheels for what was going to be my daily tires. However, does it make sense to get 19x10s or 19x11s and put my 275/35-19 tires on those and convert the 19x9.5s to my daily wheels? I’m asking bc I have to replace the hub assembly anyway and if so, should I go ahead and put on the arp extended studs so I can fit the bigger wheels up front? If I do this, are you able to keep on the 18x8s until the brake conversion with these studs or do I need spacers until then? Or is it not worth it and should I just do an oem replacement?
I run and 18 by 11 apex wheel and I have brembo brake kit. Do your self a favor and switch to the 18” wheels. Cheaper for tires. Get the Ford racing berrings hub with extended studs and use open lug nuts to use any wheel combo you want. I have brand new Michelin super sport tires in 19” and wheels too if you need them. I don’t use them anymore

Don't put your 275s on an 11" wheel. I get that you're trying to get the most use out of the RS4's; in that case, just keep using what you have till you need new tires. Then at that point, buy some 19x11's and some new 305s to go with them.

Not that you asked but might I make some wheel suggestions?
Deep pockets: Signature wheels
Best value: Apex Wheels
On a budget: SVE wheels (check eBay for deals. LMR has an eBay account where you can frequently find great deals. I got my 19x11 set for $130 ea)

Get you some camber plates too. They'll make your tires last longer and it'll help turn-in.
Sorry, not trying to spend your money....ok, maybe trying just a little bit 😆
I was considering apex or SVE so I appreciate your input! I have camber bolts right now ... will those still work as a stop gap solution for camber or do I need the plates?

I run and 18 by 11 apex wheel and I have brembo brake kit. Do your self a favor and switch to the 18” wheels. Cheaper for tires. Get the Ford racing berrings hub with extended studs and use open lug nuts to use any wheel combo you want. I have brand new Michelin super sport tires in 19” and wheels too if you need them. I don’t use them anymore
What are the tire/wheels you are getting rid of?

TMO Supporting Vendors