The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
OK - So I'm going to throw Roger into my car for this next race so you have someone to race with...
13 Porsches, my brakes locking up uncontrollably and the transmission popping out of gear isn't enough of a challenge already?
Man, with friends like you who needs enemas....lol.

I'd like to see both cars on track at the same time before I kick the bucket and my health condition currently leaves me on the sidelines. Should be an epic race on an epic track - welcome to the deep end of the pool.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd like to see both cars on track at the same time before I kick the bucket and my health condition currently leaves me on the sidelines. Should be an epic race on an epic track - welcome to the deep end of the pool.
I welcome the competition, lets disconnect his ABS and give it a go shall we?

I welcome the competition, lets disconnect his ABS and give it a go shall we?
Really??? It's just a N/A 3 valve with a TR3650 trans. You're already running faster lap times than me. I look at this as a classic Mustang verses Porsche scenario on track Would hope that you'd like to see more Mustangs out there with you. JS

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Really??? It's just a N/A 3 valve with a TR3650 trans. You're already running faster lap times than me. I look at this as a classic Mustang verses Porsche scenario on track Would hope that you'd like to see more Mustangs out there with you. JS
Its a broken car with problems, I might not even get to run it if it wont stay in gear.
Why not just kick me while I'm down?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Any ideas as to what might be wrong with the tranny??
No, I have no idea why it started doing that....Kevin was giving me crap like I was making it up so I made him watch the video and I pointed out each time it popped out of gear, it was something like 20 times in 17 laps.....I can go back and count for accuracy, but we aren't talking once or twice here...all I can do at this point is change the fluid and hope it magically heals itself.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
No, I have no idea why it started doing that....Kevin was giving me crap like I was making it up so I made him watch the video and I pointed out each time it popped out of gear, it was something like 20 times in 17 laps.....I can go back and count for accuracy, but we aren't talking once or twice here...all I can do at this point is change the fluid and hope it magically heals itself.
Did you pull the plug on the top of the housing to see if the detent spring is OK? Can’t remember if you opened up your trans tunnel in the car - if not, it may be too tight with the trans in the car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Did you pull the plug on the top of the housing to see if the detent spring is OK? Can’t remember if you opened up your trans tunnel in the car - if not, it may be too tight with the trans in the car.
I tried, no room for anything.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@captdistraction would be able to provide some feedback on that KohR brake booster kit, I believe that is the one he has on his car.

If you are able to make the switch to the 11+ hydraulics (including the ABS block), you will be able to install the BOSS R/S ABS computer module, which is pretty damn good for a $350 upgrade on a factory system (compared to going all out on a Bosch M4 or M5 motorsport system for many thousands of dollars).

Surprised to see The Fabman himself complaining about mounting hole and bracket differences... ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@captdistraction
Surprised to see The Fabman himself complaining about mounting hole and bracket differences... ;)
I must have missed this part…..?
I think it was kevin talking about bolt patterns, my concern was making sure I got one with the proper hydraulics, not just one that auto zone says “fits”.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I remember right that was a new Tremec XL that you put in with the swap?? Suprising as you had less problems with the monster s/c engine you had before. Hope you can get it back in shape for your next race. Either that, or get some big rubber bands to keep it in gear!!! Got to give some hell to that gaggle of Porsches!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If I remember right that was a new Tremec XL that you put in with the swap?? Suprising as you had less problems with the monster s/c engine you had before. Hope you can get it back in shape for your next race. Either that, or get some big rubber bands to keep it in gear!!! Got to give some hell to that gaggle of Porsches!
Yeah, I am surprised at that as well....and certainly not too happy about it.
I'm going to drain the fluid and if it isn't full of metal particles I'm going to fill it with amsoil which is what I had in the other trans and give that a whirl.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
They are expecting 20 porsches from the PRC so they moved them into their own group....there are still some porches but they are in the GT classes. ITE just shrunk to a handful of cars. Its a moving target so who knows what’s going to happen, I'll just show up, do my best and take what I get. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
well the oil doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would so maybe we have a fighting chance….Amsoil to the rescue!

4E9652BB-5357-4615-8E55-228114960833.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors