The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman did solve the oil loss problem. At least that’s how I read it.

OBTW, Excellent job
Yes, this was the Sonoma race, after that I did the upgrades and at laguna seca I only lost 2 tablespoons of oil.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Progress report:

If you have been following you know that I had a brand new set of Brembo rotors crack all the way through with only 2 race weekends and a test day on them.

IMG_2355.jpg

So I bought another set and had them Cyrogenically frozen before install.
I now have the same 2 race weekends and a test day on them and so far they look like this:

IMG_2719.jpg

So far so good, lets see how much longer they last but at this point, its looking very promising.
The goal is to finish the season with them. Lets see if I get my wish.

Stay tuned.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Progress report:

If you have been following you know that I had a brand new set of Brembo rotors crack all the way through with only 2 race weekends and a test day on them.

View attachment 67227

So I bought another set and had them Cyrogenically frozen before install.
I now have the same 2 race weekends and a test day on them and so far they look like this:

View attachment 67226

So far so good, lets see how much longer they last but at this point, its looking very promising.
The goal is to finish the season with them. Lets see if I get my wish.

Stay tuned.
How many races left in the Season?? Fingers crossed!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
How many races left in the Season?? Fingers crossed!
2 race weekends, 5 races total.
2 Races at Laguna Seca on the 28th/29th and the last race weekend is 3 races at Thunderhill in October.
Two on the 3 mile and one on the 5 mile....all double points races.
Since I haven't been to Thunderhill in 3 years and have never been on the 5 mile at all it is going to be an interesting weekend. Last time I was at T Hill is when I blew up the 3 valve and even then only got 1 1/2 laps.
Last time I was at thunder hill before that was in 2016 when the car still had license plates.
I'm going to need a practice day if there is one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last time I ran @ Thunderhill....a lot has changed.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Power steering pump swapped out - found issue with reservoir not being vented. JS Old guys rule.
I called the company that made the tank and they said they do that on purpose.
They said to fill the tank halfway and the head pressure will keep the fluid from foaming.
He said they have been making that tank for 20 years and have sold thousands of them like this......go figure.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Since my cooling mods have been working so well I've decided to limit the air coming through the grill and force the majority through the lower inlet. This should net me some additional down force and if possible I’d like to block the grill entirely for another boost in down force. I should be able to get away with that but….baby steps.
Let’s verify this works before we get too crazy.
Stay tuned.

IMG_2781.jpgIMG_2783.jpg

I called the company that made the tank and they said they do that on purpose.
They said to fill the tank halfway and the head pressure will keep the fluid from foaming.
He said they have been making that tank for 20 years and have sold thousands of them like this......go figure.
Haven't seen any others made that way...JS

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That is pretty common for the aftermarket power steering systems. Improves the feed into the pump and keeps foaming at bay. KRC, KSE, Woodward, etc. systems are all like that.
Good to know, I made the last tank and drilled a little hole in the cap from which fluid spurted out until it found its level....which ended up being about about half the volume of the tank anyway.

19260548_10155403841098535_9189393327014100076_n.jpg

My previous tank wasn't going to work with the Coyote intake so I was gonna make another one but when I was shopping for a cap and weld bungs on Summit I saw this round PS tank for just a couple bucks more than the parts alone so I said "what the hell" and just bought it. It's not as sexy as what I had in mind but sure was a lot easier than forming the aluminum and machining all the fittings from scratch again. I have to keep telling myself that this is no longer an art project and just a race car because I get all caught up in the creation of trick little pieces and at this point I just need things to work. I got races to run and nobody cares what this looks like but me.

IMG_1235.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exactly! I gave up on making everything myself and trying to make everything super trick a while ago, seat time is more important!
Yep, and the seat time isn't hurting me one bit. I'm learning every time out.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Silly question but your engine bay pic reminded me...is the aluminum coolant tank worth the price to replace a stock one? I'm getting ready to change out my radiator and want to kill two birds with one bottle of coolant while I'm at it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Silly question but your engine bay pic reminded me...is the aluminum coolant tank worth the price to replace a stock one? I'm getting ready to change out my radiator and want to kill two birds with one bottle of coolant while I'm at it.
2 reasons I changed mine out and one is simply because polished aluminum is way cooler than dirty white plastic.
The other one is that the more fluid you have the fewer times it cycles through the pump so it stays cooler....so I guess both reasons is because its cooler. lol. Moroso makes one that fits in the stock location that's is somewhat bigger than the stock tank and has a nice little baffle in it. You are going to need a better PS cooler if you don't already have one. A trans cooler works well for this purpose.

TMO Supporting Vendors