The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
2 reasons I changed mine out and one is simply because polished aluminum is way cooler than dirty white plastic.
The other one is that the more fluid you have the fewer times it cycles through the pump so it stays cooler....so I guess both reasons is because its cooler. lol. Moroso makes one that fits in the stock location that's is somewhat bigger than the stock tank and has a nice little baffle in it. You are going to need a better PS cooler if you don't already have one. A trans cooler works well for this purpose.
Thanks. More capacity alone seems like it's worth it.

Plus...it definitely looks better!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Thanks. More capacity alone seems like it's worth it.

Plus...it definitely looks better!
I finally had to release myself form the "custom made polished everything" motif' and just do stuff that gets the job done.

82274064_1003495726699856_7256612727110500352_n.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
...is the aluminum coolant tank worth the price to replace a stock one?
Another side benefit at least for the 11-14 tank, is the it is somewhat thinner front to back. After installing the thicker Ford Performance Radiator, the stock tank sat further back and was rubbing against the top radiator hose. The Moroso tank gave me the clearance I needed.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since my car has always run super cool I think I will just leave it alone. Of course the other situation is I can't build crap which is evident when watching my 5 year old grandson whip through a Lego build and I am still trying to understand the directions. Beautiful build and all that polished aluminum is a huge intimidation factor to your competitors.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Since my car has always run super cool I think I will just leave it alone. Of course the other situation is I can't build crap which is evident when watching my 5 year old grandson whip through a Lego build and I am still trying to understand the directions. Beautiful build and all that polished aluminum is a huge intimidation factor to your competitors.
Oh, I dunno about that....have you ever heard the expression; "If it don't go...chrome it!" ?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is my home track...I've logged thousands of laps here.
This weekend is $4000.00 to win. Meanwhile, I'll be at Laguna Seca.....zero to win.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
This is my home track...I've logged thousands of laps here.
This weekend is $4000.00 to win. Meanwhile, I'll be at Laguna Seca.....zero to win.

Do you ever make it up to Roseville?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Do you ever make it up to Roseville?
I used to live there. The track was a 10 minute tow.
Now I only go there if I have to. My dentist is in Rancho Cambodia so I'm still in town every few months for a cleaning.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well today sucked. Got my first DNS.
The power steering hard line snapped on the out lap.
I didn’t even get a full lap of qualifying in before the line snapped and the power went out coming down the corkscrew. That was exciting. Shot power steering fluid everywhere again….I swear this car has has more oil slobbered all over it than the Exon Valdez.
We checked everywhere and no line was available and I couldn’t even buy a new rack to steal the line off of. None available including the local dealers. So not being one to give up easily we hopped in the Tremor and made the 5 hour round trip in 4 hours and got a spare from my shop in pleasanton, got gas and food and stopped at NAPPA for some power steering fluid and hauled ass back. Got the car fixed and cleaned up and I’ll be first in line to qualify tomorrow. Too bad, the trophies are really nice this time and there’s some guy walking around with MINE from today…..grrrr.
This is the line:

F67F0AA3-1AD2-4DE3-80D3-771F8E1C81CB.jpeg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure folks would appreciate a failure analysis if you have a chance once things calm down (do they ever?). Wondering if it's something others should keep an eye on or a fluke.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure folks would appreciate a failure analysis if you have a chance once things calm down (do they ever?). Wondering if it's something others should keep an eye on or a fluke.
It snapped off at the flare in the rack. Just a weird thing.
I’ll take a pic tomorrow.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That sucks. Can't you convert to a 13-14 electric rack?
I asked Filip about that and he said to go with the hydraulic unit, so I did.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And here it is….

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
New personal best: 136.603

A0483BEB-9B80-47F1-B914-42470A26DE16.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It ain’t over yet, we have a tight field and I have the heaviest car, and it’s warming up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel