The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
if you cant read the flags, then why is it not your fault when i want to pass and make a clean pass? eh, whatever. noobs. lol
This is not a new problem for me....this is also why I prefer W2W than HPDE.
Everybody is there for the same reason....however, there are still a few that don't get it.
Well, thank you. That makes one of you….we’re on a roll.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'll never get used to this....

Passing rules for Oval track:
Is there a hole? Go for it!
BubbaPreston.jpg

Passing rules for road racing:
Lemme get back to you on that....
Passing rules.PNG

Last edited:

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
If you aren't comfortable with open passing then that puts you back down to HPDE 1...maybe 2. That's how I'd handle it...but they probably wouldn't put me in charge anyways.
specifically for NASA its like having ST/TTU and ST/TT6 running the same group. they get it. the TTU guys can run 130 range (1:30-1:39) and the TT6 guys can run maybe 2-2:10 . (sonoma specifically)

They get it. teach them in hpde

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I always like to do a 2 piece splitter w/extension because it makes it easy to service the car without removing the whole thing. Plus, if the splitter gets damaged you are replacing a much smaller piece of carbon. I really should have cleaned the finger prints off but what the hay, nobody is gonna see this but us, right?

067D3226-5849-4E74-A5B7-4B34502A4121.jpeg
2019AB44-D56E-410D-B8BA-652BD66648B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I was told that I was passing them by so fast it was scaring them….it was like driving through parked cars.

Maybe if you'd have built a less HP race car...... :) That thing sounds mean.

How many classes were there? Were you just that faster than the whole field and there wasn't a higher class or was the lower classes so full that they were pushing folks up?

Some orgs just cater to various levels. I remember jumping between CCS and WERA in the SE and there was a notable difference in the overall speeds, not just the fast guys, but everyone.

I always like to do a 2 piece splitter w/extension because it makes it easy to service the car without removing the whole thing. Plus, if the splitter gets damaged you are replacing a much smaller piece of carbon. I really should have cleaned the finger prints off but what the hay, nobody is gonna see this but us, right?

View attachment 76377
View attachment 76378
The rolled beads for strength are awesome!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Maybe if you'd have built a less HP race car...... :) That thing sounds mean.

How many classes were there? Were you just that faster than the whole field and there wasn't a higher class or was the lower classes so full that they were pushing folks up?

Some orgs just cater to various levels. I remember jumping between CCS and WERA in the SE and there was a notable difference in the overall speeds, not just the fast guys, but everyone.
This is just a stock motor w/CJ intake and ported heads. I wouldn't call that an HP car.
According to the weight/HP rules I could be making around 750 rwhp, so we're waaaayyyy under powered for the class. (ITE and AIX)

This was group 4 open passing HPDE at a NASA event.
This is nothing new, an experienced driver in a race prepped car is bound to be the jack rabbit in the field. I get a talking to every time I go. Its always the big dollar super car drivers that do the complaining. I wonder why that is....?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, here is the session where I got bitched at by the officials for passing…..see what you think. I’m on 4 year old scrubs and I thought I was driving way conservative and giving everyone ample warning before passing. Remember, this is supposed to be the advanced group. Am I wrong here? The primary whiners were the vette guys, but one of the officials was in that Miata with the Wing and he said he didn’t like the way I passed him so…..whatever.

Last edited:

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
the official didnt like how you passed him or the red vette? cause i dont see anything wrong with either pass so...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
the official didnt like how you passed him or the red vette? cause i dont see anything wrong with either pass so...
The red vett pointed me by and then panicked as I entered the corner...I was already well ahead of him. Maybe its my fault because I don't belong in HPDE.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I'll play devil's advocate since I regularly run in advanced groups (pass anywhere with a point by). The closing speed you have on the occasional weekend track visitor is huge. I'm sure you were a shock in the mirrors of several guys in the group. Some may have felt personally emasculated, and some may have feared their lack of speed and competence would damage their precious street machines. Also, what good is my PB video I post to YouTube when you're flying by me and checking out? The NERVE!!! Most HPDE ladders are climbed by attending events, not putting down quick lap times.

As for the pass on the Miata with a wing... you didn't park your car directly behind him and allow him the option to get down to the inside of the corner. You gave him one option, but at least you thanked him for giving the corner to you. I assume you waved with all of your fingers extended.

Soooo... yes, you were a little aggressive playing with these amateurs. IMO, the officials should have moved you to the instructor group and tried to keep up. This is not the norm, but it would have been the safest option without dragging you down.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
" My entry fee covers the whole track....not just the part You want me on!!"
This how exactly how that Mantra was born....and why I went back to W2W racing after 30 years in retirement.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'll play devil's advocate since I regularly run in advanced groups (pass anywhere with a point by). The closing speed you have on the occasional weekend track visitor is huge. I'm sure you were a shock in the mirrors of several guys in the group. Some may have felt personally emasculated, and some may have feared their lack of speed and competence would damage their precious street machines. Also, what good is my PB video I post to YouTube when you're flying by me and checking out? The NERVE!!! Most HPDE ladders are climbed by attending events, not putting down quick lap times.

As for the pass on the Miata with a wing... you didn't park your car directly behind him and allow him the option to get down to the inside of the corner. You gave him one option, but at least you thanked him for giving the corner to you. I assume you waved with all of your fingers extended.

Soooo... yes, you were a little aggressive playing with these amateurs. IMO, the officials should have moved you to the instructor group and tried to keep up. This is not the norm, but it would have been the safest option without dragging you down.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would take one look at that Mustang and think:
"That is obviously a race prepared car with an experienced driver, he SHOULD be way faster than I am, and good for him for doing a such good job of it".
But then....its always that other shoe that gets into trouble....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The head instructor made mention of my SCCA class champion jacket at the morning meeting.
Then at the first download meeting as people were mobbing him for the "orange track sticker" to get back on track he said "Look at you just sitting there like "Kiss the ring"....I said naw, I'm just sitting here waiting for traffic to die down....so, I think he didn't like me right off the top.

TMO Supporting Vendors