The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And here was my day in a nutshell.
I had custom molded earbuds for my radios in so I couldn't hear sh!t. I felt a vibration that I thought was the new transmission at first.
Then the smoke started coming out of the vents and I thought: "well, thats where the breather for the trans is but....naw, this aint good", so I pulled it over as soon as the shoulder was smooth enough.
In retrospect, I should have just pushed the clutch in right away and shut it down.....but I didn't want to block the track with cars coming down off that high speed blind hill at 120 mph.
So, I did what I did and got what I got. My bad.

See for yourself.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Listen real close at 1:04 a taching 2nd lap. Engine or whole car and another. Your experience did what was right. Watching yours and steveepro's vids. I hear any weird sh*t with my engine I'll check the mirrors and clutch is going in when safe.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You got out of the car a lot better then i thought :D. But the second video and that all to well known sound of an engine dying, took the smile off my face. Fingers crossed for the heads! At least your block has no windows?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You got out of the car a lot better then i thought :D. But the second video and that all to well known sound of an engine dying, took the smile off my face. Fingers crossed for the heads! At least your block has no windows?
no I dont think its blown up, I think maybe we threw a timing chain.....Shaun is watching the video now.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
no I dont think its blown up, I think maybe we threw a timing chain.....Shaun is watching the video now.
I have some things to check...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
where was it letting smoke out - catch can?
yep, well, I assume so.
I'm going to have a closer look at things in the next couple days.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
The car has a built in monkey bar with the cage. I use it everytime i get out of the car lol

TMO Supporting Vendors