The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forgestar F14 18 x 11 Wheels Front versus Rear Fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Those wheels look GREAT. And yes, much bigger contact patch with the wider wheels. Let 'er GRIP!
Thanks. I will get a more accurate apples to apples comparison when I get the Pirellis mounted on the other set of Forgestars later this week.

Tulsa, OK
As if you weren't fast enough! The new CF-5s look great on your car. The picture of the two tire stacks next to each other is an eye-opener. Good luck with the added grip

roadhouse said:
As if you weren't fast enough! The new CF-5s look great on your car. The picture of the two tire stacks next to each other is an eye-opener. Good luck with the added grip
Thanks Logan. I should have the Pirellis remounted this week so we can get a true comparison. I should have measured the Hoosier stack before I swapped them over.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
cloud9 said:
I test fit the wheels today. I will be running a 1/4" spacer front and rear. At the front it leaves me with about 1/8" clearance to the strut with a 295/30/18 Hoosier R7 to the rim protector on the tire. I am going to use a 1/4" in the rear just to maintain the track with the front wheels. I did have to remove my inner fender liners in the rear otherwise I would be rubbing them.

I think I'm going to accomplish my goal of increasing the contact patch with the wider wheels on the same sized tires. The first picture is a stack of R7s 295 & 315 on the 11" Forgestars and the other stack is 305 & 315 Pirelli Slicks on 9.5" and 10.5" wheels. The Forgestar stack is a full 3" taller!

Drool…

Wingrider

So if folks are running spacers anyway, why sweat the mixed offset of the FS wheels and just get a square set of 4?

I'm struggling with figuring out how much rim I can put on the car now with the Cortex set up and 10.5-11 seems like a no brainer. Is the list of folks making an 11+ rim that few? I'm probably going to get a set of the BBS 10.5's from Ford Racing because the FS staggered wheels "secret offset" seem like too much drama vs the benefit of moving the tires/wheels around all 4 corners.

Happy to be mistaken on this, just want lots of tire on the corners.

Wingrider said:
So if folks are running spacers anyway, why sweat the mixed offset of the FS wheels and just get a square set of 4?

I'm struggling with figuring out how much rim I can put on the car now with the Cortex set up and 10.5-11 seems like a no brainer. Is the list of folks making an 11+ rim that few? I'm probably going to get a set of the BBS 10.5's from Ford Racing because the FS staggered wheels "secret offset" seem like too much drama vs the benefit of moving the tires/wheels around all 4 corners.

Happy to be mistaken on this, just want lots of tire on the corners.
There is 7/8" difference in the backspacing. If you ran all 4 the same I'd either have a 1-1/8" spacer up front using "their rear offsets" or if you used "their front offsets" you would have the rears sticking out pretty far past the fenders. I wouldn't be comfortable running that much spacer in front.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
cloud9 said:
RPM (Formerly MAM) in a couple weeks will be a good test. It's a 2.3 mile very technical track where decreasing radius cornering matters more than BIR or RA. At some point I wonder if the rolling mass eats into straightaway speeds at big tracks like RA or BIR? These things are steamrollers :)

What date are you heading down Gary?

Here's a better apples to apples comparison. The first picture shows the Pirelli 305s on 9.5" rims and 315s on 10.5" rims on the right side of the photo. The second photo shows them remounted on the 11" rims. The difference in height from the Hoosier 295/315s on 11" rims went from 3" to 7/8" indicating I gained 2-1/8" of actual tire width by mounting the same tires on wider rims.
20150502_084613_zpsznyvxkdm.jpg

20150507_174743_zps0pynxpcf.jpg

Wow that's impressive. Let's hope it translates into faster lap times for you.

drano38

Wayne
Cloud to Mrs. Cloud -- "Don't worry honey, its just a simple hobby".

Dang, those are some serious shoes.

Wingrider

cloud9 said:
Here's a better apples to apples comparison. The first picture shows the Pirelli 305s on 9.5" rims and 315s on 10.5" rims on the right side of the photo. The second photo shows them remounted on the 11" rims. The difference in height from the Hoosier 295/315s on 11" rims went from 3" to 7/8" indicating I gained 2-1/8" of actual tire width by mounting the same tires on wider rims.
20150502_084613_zpsznyvxkdm.jpg

20150507_174743_zps0pynxpcf.jpg

why not 305/315 combo vs 295/315?

TMO Supporting Vendors