The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

foxbody road course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Illinois
Hello, I am new to this forum, I am building a 93 gt for road course racing and would like some opinions on transmission and clutch set ups. I would also like to go to a hydraulic clutch set up and the car could potentially reach 450hp someday, please let me know what you all think is a good direction to go and where to go to get said parts.

thanks

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Tremec gearbox, one of the T5 stout ones. Do not go near an MT82 under any circumstances. Modern Driveline sells T5s.
Exedy makes good racing clutches, but there are lots of other good brands as well. I have personal experience with the Exedy and so I recommend it.
There's lots of retailers of this stuff around, google is your friend.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Illinois
You only think you want to go to a hydraulic clutch, no adjustment, shims that you can only change by pulling the trans.. no thanks.
Go look up the junkyard dog build on this site.

And also this one.

Thread 'Complete Fox body build' https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/complete-fox-body-build.19553/
the only reason I was leaning towards hydraulic clutch was because we will be doing a lot of shifting and some of our drivers are older and want a easier pedal motion, I am up for suggestions

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Nothing wrong with a diaphram clutch. If my clutch pedal was much lighter, I would shove it through the floor...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Agree keep it simple. T5, King Cobra clutch, and if you can find an OE cable great. I ran like that for many years in my 82 with no issues. You mentioned older drivers, are you building a Champcar or something similar that will have multiple drivers?

I did eventually update mine to a TKO600-RR, 7.25 multidisc clutch, and built my own hydraulic clutch actuation using a Tilton mini master cylinder mounted up in the pedal box because I didn't like any of the available options. I would not do it again, it was fun to build, but I hate the clutch and the hydraulic system is hard to work on if needed.

There's a fairly simple formula for sn95 for handling. Steeda 2 x ball joints and bump steer kit, caster/ camber plates, subframe connector ( which are an absolute necessity) . At that point if you are forced to run the stock rear suspension, you have several choices.
1. An 03 or 04 cobra IRS
2. A torque arm
3. Install urethane lower trailing arms and create a poor man's 3 link... well that's your only choice if you have to run the stock type rear suspension. It is complete crap. Also don't fall for installing a panhard bar with the stock 4 link. It is misery.

TMO Supporting Vendors