The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

front bumper holes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just got my Boss today and wondering if anybody elses has very small holes in the front bumper or did the dealer drill them. We dont need front plates so i find this weird. I looked on the web at a ton of pics and it seems like maybe this is just standard from the factory.

My black Gt500 didnt seem to have this but maybe just because it was black i didnt really notice

Your dealer drilled them for you. Be sure and thank them the next time you are there. ;) I asked my dealer about a half dozen times not to drill mine and they didn't.

I specifically asked that my CO Boss not be drilled as I always use custom brackets from Craig's Custom Brackets, however, it apprently had already been drilled. This was my one beef with the dealer.

At first, I thought these holes were pre-drilled. On a return visit to the dealer, I took a look around the lot and floor at other Mustangs. Every Mustang in the lot and showroom floor appeared to be drilled(even the LS's and GT500's).

Then, I figured out the dealer was apparently doing it. What a deal. I guess they just do it by default. I think the dealer leadership should instill a process to NEVER pre-drill any higher end vehicle. It should come off the truck and nobody drills anything.

Then, during deal process, an explicit step should be created to ask the customer. Furthermore, during delivery, there should a multi validation/fail-safe process with make ready along with leadership oversight and involvement to ensure the customer's wishes are seen through.

Georgia
cloud9 said:
Mine had the pilot "dimples" and my dealer didn't drill them.

My salesman is a fellow club member, so he fully understood; 1) no front plate, 2) no dealer decals on rear, 3) leave all interior protective plastic in place, 4) save all paperwork (window sticker, etc.). I even have a QC assembly line form that was used to document and correct a defect. I have since removed all of the plastic, but my floor mats and car cover are still in the original bags. I ended up purchasing another set of Boss mats from the dealership to use.

Mine has the dimples, like pre drilling markers. I can tell the dealer didnt do it, because they arent holes, and the paint is still there They are starting to protrude a little and are getting more noticeable. Kind of annoying.

drano38

Wayne
Yep, the dimples are there so the prep folks know where to drill them.
Luckily, my Boss did not have the license plate mounted, and I made it very clear (on several phone calls in 3 days) not to drill the front bumper, and they listened. It was a small dealership, so I'm sure that helped.
A nearby dealer no longer drills Mustangs when they arrive. A customer made it clear he wished the Mustang he was buying didn't have the front plate installed. Glad to see they responded to customer inputs.

Tflong24 said:
Mine has the dimples, like pre drilling markers. I can tell the dealer didnt do it, because they arent holes, and the paint is still there They are starting to protrude a little and are getting more noticeable. Kind of annoying.

weird, mine are about a mm deep and no bigger than the head of a toothpick but not much paint in there. i will get a small model brush and some ford touch up paint to fill them in a bit more before i 3m the bumper. they are noticable though

i am just way too picky for my own good

BLAZN BOSS

I live in Va...........no choice..........I have the license plate bracket

BossTXB said:
I specifically asked that my CO Boss not be drilled as I always use custom brackets from Craig's Custom Brackets, however, it apprently had already been drilled. This was my one beef with the dealer.

How do you install them? I didn't see instructions on the site. Do I need to remove anything to get to where they mount?

CA required front plates, but you have 3 months before you need to have plates on at all (how Bill Gates got around having plates on any of his cars, he just kept buying new ones). Dealer did not drill the holes, but did leave a front bracket in the trunk. My bro gets tickets on his car because he doesn't have a front plate, so need to figure out something.

CaliMR said:
BossTXB said:

How do you install them? I didn't see instructions on the site. Do I need to remove anything to get to where they mount?

CA required front plates, but you have 3 months before you need to have plates on at all (how Bill Gates got around having plates on any of his cars, he just kept buying new ones). Dealer did not drill the holes, but did leave a front bracket in the trunk. My bro gets tickets on his car because he doesn't have a front plate, so need to figure out something.
I never run a front plate here in California. I got written up for it once but that was a long-long time ago.

Probably depends where in CA. They give them out in all the parking lots here. My bro got them in his various cars, and I know several other people who got them.

Texas requires front plates too. So, I ALWAYS use Craig's Custom Brackets on all my Mustangs. Craig makes a great product and provides superb customer service. I received my new plates for the Boss and will be installing Craig's front bracket forthwith.

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/

Mine was undrilled and would have been a big problem if the dealer would have drilled them.The only thing I was kind of dissappointed with was they had trashed the plastic seat covers when they took delivery of the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors