The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front control arms questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I will be making the move to Cortex coilovers very soon and think I might upgrade my ball joints and front control arm bushings. but had a question I was hopeing someone in here could help out on. Is there any difference from 05-10-13 model mustang front control arms. I find it hard to locate a set of 13-14 controls and bushing kits but see tons of 05-10 ones will these swap right over..?
Also I was looking at Steeda X2 ball joints but have been seeing that some people have had these fail on them, is there a better version..? i.e durable I rather not have to dig into this part agian once replaced.
Also any suggestions on witch bushing kit to use..? steeda,whiteline, poly...?
any input is apreciated.
thanks

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 05-10 ones and 11-14 are different designs. Either will bolt in, but the 11-14 have some key reinforcements and I would select these if you are planning on tracking your car. (Note: the 2010 may be the stronger design as well; if you can post a picture, we can confirm)

The 11-14 type are what comes in the BOSS-S control arm kit; which I would recommend purchasing. We found out from user @Budget Boss that these actually come with bushings as well; although for the rear ones I believe they want you to modify your existing bushing holder.

Also, Cortex does sell the prothane complete-replacement bushing for the rear of the FLCAs. That's what I went with when I modified my stock LCAs into "302S" LCAs. I modified what I had to save cost, but had I known the 302S kit came with bushings, that probably would have been easier and very similar in cost.

ArizonaBOSS said:
The 05-10 ones and 11-14 are different designs. Either will bolt in, but the 11-14 have some key reinforcements and I would select these if you are planning on tracking your car. (Note: the 2010 may be the stronger design as well; if you can post a picture, we can confirm)

The 11-14 type are what comes in the BOSS-S control arm kit; which I would recommend purchasing. We found out from user @Budget Boss that these actually come with bushings as well; although for the rear ones I believe they want you to modify your existing bushing holder.

Also, Cortex does sell the prothane complete-replacement bushing for the rear of the FLCAs. That's what I went with when I modified my stock LCAs into "302S" LCAs. I modified what I had to save cost, but had I known the 302S kit came with bushings, that probably would have been easier and very similar in cost.

Awesome and good to know thinking I might just take my factory control arms off now and just do the bushing kit then instead of sourcing control amrs and swaping them out.
Will have to talk to cortex again. did you notice any change from doing the bushings..?
thanks

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No but I went to 315mm front tires at the same time so some of the steering precision went away. Felt about the same as before. But I had to replace my bushings anyways because one of my rears was toast.

BTW I would do the Watson Screw-In Balljoint conversion over any other option out there. (Which once you factor in fabrication/update time of the existing arms, is why I recommend just going with the 302S kit).

Here are some pictures of my 2012 arms w/ the Watson stuff. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5404.msg138741#msg138741

ArizonaBOSS said:
No but I went to 315mm front tires at the same time so some of the steering precision went away. Felt about the same as before. But I had to replace my bushings anyways because one of my rears was toast.

BTW I would do the Watson Screw-In Balljoint conversion over any other option out there. (Which once you factor in fabrication/update time of the existing arms, is why I recommend just going with the 302S kit).

Here are some pictures of my 2012 arms w/ the Watson stuff. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5404.msg138741#msg138741

Perfect thanks again and wow those control arms look great that is what im looking to do. not sure abut the welding part but I will figure it out time to start ordering parts lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors