The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front wheel fitment question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just checking in to see if anyone placed a 19 x 10 rear wheel on the front. I'm looking to get a 19 x 10 front and 19 x 11 rear for my Boss in the F14 style. After talking to Paul at Howey Industries he recommneded a +40 offset for the front for the extra brake caliper clearance needed with the deep concave style you get with a 10" or wider wheel. He felt that there was enough of a chance if tracked the thermal expansion of the caliper might not provide safe clearance with a +42 offset 10" front wheel. I've never heard of this so I'm skeptical so if anyone has anything to add on the subject that would be helpful. It would be great if someone has already mounted a rear wheel to the front and checked the clearances.

cp85gt said:
Just checking in to see if anyone placed a 19 x 10 rear wheel on the front. I'm looking to get a 19 x 10 front and 19 x 11 rear for my Boss in the F14 style. After talking to Paul at Howey Industries he recommneded a +40 offset for the front for the extra brake caliper clearance needed with the deep concave style you get with a 10" or wider wheel. He felt that there was enough of a chance if tracked the thermal expansion of the caliper might not provide safe clearance with a +42 offset 10" front wheel. I've never heard of this so I'm skeptical so if anyone has anything to add on the subject that would be helpful. It would be great if someone has already mounted a rear wheel to the front and checked the clearances.

I have Forgestar F14's on my car right now. They are 18 X 10 with 42mm offset and I have over 5 mm of clearance between the wheel and brake caliper. I can't image the 19" wheels would be any different. The smaller offset might be an advantage if you are trying to clear wide tires to the sway bar stud which mounts on the strut. This is my current concern when I mount 285 tires on these wheels. I believe Pete is running these tires on 9.5" wide Enkie's but maybe he can comment based on the offset of his wheels.

JScheier said:
Also add to this that the front swaybar endlink can be a clearance issue. Note that the upper mounting bolt has 1" of non-threaded hex on it that can come VERY close to the tire / sidewall. Feel free to take a cutoff wheel to it to make more clearance.

Note: I had to do this with 18x10s (D-Force) with 305/650/18 as corner loading tended to produce smoke and rubber buggers from the inner sidewall :)
I hope I wasn't behind you! :eek:

285s in 555RIIs or Conti slicks work just fine with plenty of clearance on my 18 x 9.5 35mm offset PF01s. I too shortened that endlink......no smoke but gave it me the willies :D

i never got around to test fitting my rear wheels on the front and now we are buried in snow again. FU winter. But from the sounds of it I will be fine. Thanks guys.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Disclaimer: I have camber bolts set to 'full', which pull the top side of the wheel in, maybe about 1/8"+.

My 295s touch the (uncut) stock sway bar bolt. Just barely, and then it's not far from the strut tube, but clear. Without the camber bolt adjustment, I think it would clear as-is, but I would definitely cut down the sway bar link hex portion, or go with aftermarket end links.

I suspect the stock 9.5" rear with stock 285s would clear easily.

cloud9 said:
LOL well that's why I'm heading to Chuckwalla next month!

Will be good to meet all the Boss comrades there!

Thanks for the test fit. Did you happen to measure the caliper clearance and fender clearance? I assume that your F14 19 x 10 rear wheels are deep concave.

awesome!!! thank you!!

I'm thinking of runnning a 275/35 just for a little shorter tire anyway. a little narrower will help as well.

Grant 302

cp85gt said:
Thanks for the test fit. Did you happen to measure the caliper clearance and fender clearance? I assume that your F14 19 x 10 rear wheels are deep concave.

Didn't do any measurements. Caliper clearance is way better than stock Boss or Brembo rims. I didn't want to load the car and turn lock to lock for fender clearance with that stud contacting the tire.

It sounds like a 19 x 10 +42 with a 295 tire will fit using camber plates instead of bolts. I guess a +40 instead of +42 would be better for tire clearance when under a heavy lateral load. I just wonder if its not better to get the most offset you can get and use small spacers from 2 to 5 mm for fine adjustment. Thanks again.

Grant 302

With CC plates, I'd definitely stick with the ET42 or 43. Go higher offset if you want to use spacers, not lower. +40 would stick out more...adding spacers would make it worse. The guys using 10.5 with +38 say they definitely stick out and are for track only. If I were trying to tuck the 10" in as much as possible, I would try even +44 or 45.

Here's a Yongbloed 18x10.5 wheel that fits with the Cortex front suspension. It will work on the rear with no issues.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/jongbloed_700/

jb-700-1051.jpg

I think we are saying the same thing. An offset of +42 seems to be a good compromise for clearance inboard and outboard. I mentioned the +40 offset because Paul at Howey industries recommended it for caliper clearance, but from you're trial fit that does not seem to be a problem. You can get up to a +44 offset on the F14 19 x 10 wheel, so I was thinking a little too much offset is easier to deal with (2 to 5 mm spacer) than too little offset. Those Jongbloeds are nice, athough I thought I read they weigh 1 or 2 pounds more then the Enkei's of the same size. You could run the +38 offset Enkei in the front (using stock style struts) with the +47 in the rear so they won't stick out but obviously lose wheel rotation. It would seem for a track only set-up the 18 x 11 , 18 x 12 F14 set-up on the Vorshlag mustang would be best as those wheels are both lighter and cheaper than the Enkei or Yongbloed.

Grant 302

I have to retract what I said about the clearance. I bolted the 19x10s up again and checked all the clearances to the caliper, and they are nearly contacting on the inside edge of the caliper. So close that I don't think I could get a feeler gauge in there. The part I was looking at before has about 3/16 -1/4" at the outer edge of the caliper.

I apologize for any confusion I have caused. :-[

8443942306_dd5c809418.jpg

This mark *may* be from the last time I mounted them and spun the rim around:

8442851607_ac391502c5.jpg

So I think ET40 would be prudent for the 19x10 F14s.

I think 2 mm of offset is roughly .079". Is that enough caliper clearance or would 3mm or about 1/8" be a safer bet? I might still be able to change my F14 order to a +40 so I'm wondering if I would be better off staying with the +42 and run a spacer and keep the standard rear wheel offset for any future sale of the wheels.

TMO Supporting Vendors