The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Max squared fitment with no studs and spacers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
More importantly there are quite a few of us who when wider wheels were not even available years back, we ran some 295s on 10 inch wheels.
Yeah but now you know better. :) .... No, in reality you are 100% right. Especially considering I am not burdened by class rules or searching for every tenth.

I just noticed the GY ran wide. Most 285s I saw had 10" tread width. Seem like a 10.5" would be a better match to that tire.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Also keep in mind you can do a square setup that's non-rotatable. Apex offers 11" wheels in both rotatable and non-rotatable offsets for S197's.

• Front: 19x11" ET26 // Rear: 19x11” ET52
    • Available in: SM-10, VS-5RS, EC-7RS, SM-10RS
    • Additional negative camber is required up front. We recommend at least -2.75*
    • No front spacers are needed
    • No spacers are needed on the rear for cars with OE (divorced) rear springs
    • 3-5mm rear spacer may be needed for cars with true rear coilovers depending on spring length/preload
I never would have considered this, good idea.

However, for me I am leaning to a safe 10" fitment or trying a 10.5" if I found a decent wheel with a +45 fitment or close. If I need more grip I will just move to a stickier class tire. My plan is to start in the 220-200 TW long wear class. @Bill Pemberton's tire suggestions seem spot on.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get wheels based on how wide you fell comfortable as opposed to buying a wheel based on one specific tire. Doing that is scary as the minute you decide the tire becomes unavailable or the manufacturer decides to drop the size you want. I ran BFG gforce R1s with good success as they were a tick off an R7 but lasted twice as long. Bingo they decided to stop making the size I had and now they are gone. Over the years you will be on a variety of tires , so get your wheels with the idea that there are plenty of choices.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Thanks Bill. Yeah I don't think I will be doing anything that hasn't been done before. 19x10 or 19x10.5. 285-295 tread in a 35 series. Compound wise anything from a NT01 to PSS.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SoCal
As an additional data point, I just installed a set of Apex EC-7 19x10 wheels, with 295/35/19 Falken RT660 tires, square. I've not been out on track with this setup yet, but on the street, there is no rubbing at all. Some mild poke F&R, but, IMO, it's a great look.

2012 Boss 302, with T springs and stock Boss 302 adjustable struts/shocks. No other suspension changes from stock. No studs or spacers used.

IMG_0379_edited_2.JPG

Additionally, for anyone interested, I did a quick bathroom scale weigh in. With Laguna Seca/Boss 302S staggered wheels (F: 19x9, R: 19x10), and Conti Extreme Contact Sports (F:255, R:285), wheel caps installed:

LS front: 56lbs
LS rear: 60.4

Apex EC-7s, 19x10, and Falken RT660 295/35/19, wheel caps installed: 57.4lbs.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors