The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

fun test and tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

going to drag strip with friends this week zo1 guys some vet guys can anyone give me skinny about what would help my stock boss get down the track tire pressure leave rpm what kind of beer in the cooler thanks there will be some shelby guys too thanks

hdw54 said:
going to drag strip with friends this week zo1 guys some vet guys can anyone give me skinny about what would help my stock boss get down the track tire pressure leave rpm what kind of beer in the cooler thanks there will be some shelby guys too thanks

Miller Lite. Don't use the two step with stock tires. Try 20 PSI while riding the clutch. Don't shift to 5th. Good luck.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Different rear tires. The Pirellis need help.

Run low 20's for pressures in the rear.

Consider Not using launch control. A smooth roll into the clutch with some slip will help.

It you do run the launch control, start low, mid to high teens and or half throttle until you launch.

We make too much power for the Pirellis to hook. Warn them up with a good burnout, smoke required.

Enjoy the track and be ready for people stopping by to look at your Boss.

going tomorrow thanks for the info will have fun hope i don't break anything bosses are fun

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It's all about your launch and hooking up for a decent 60ft. You mentioned "a stock" Boss, so if your running the Pirellis it will be difficult to hook these tires.

Don't run them too low as the side walls are not designed to hook with low air pressure. If you do, then come down to 28 PSI. If you go too low, below 20 PSI they begin cup in the center of the tire and your rubber patch is not a full tire pattern. At least that was my experience when testing before I went to the Track.

I set the LC at 2,800 RPM's, way to much. As each Boss is different with different conditions, you'll have to see what RPM's work best for you, but start at the default of 2,000 RPM's. If she is bogging down, then raise the RPM's in increments of 2,000.

If you are just spinning rubber at 2,000 RPM's, then lower the RPM's until you dial out the bog or spin. Don't dump the clutch pedal, it's tough on your MT82, but slip it, (less is more) to get traction.

You will experience a lot of wheel hop with the stock rear suspension, but press on and run each gear to 7k on your first run. I assume your new at this, so get used to the Boss 302 high RPM shift characteristics, once your comfortable then run each gear to 7,400 RPM's. Just don't bang off the rev limiter, it's tough on your oil pump and other engine bits. You'll have to keep your eye on the tach only, forget the speedo, as that info will be on your slip.

You may have to shift to 5th, all depends on your run, if you're approaching 7,500 RPM's in 4th gear before the trap, then shift and save your engine from the limiter.

Things happen very fast, like you're in warp speed when your tach needle is hitting 7K plus shifts. Practice your shifting.

As far as your car, remove everything you can. Empty the trunk and glove boxes, etc. Arrive at the Track with a 1/4 tank of the highest Octane fuel you can get. Lighten your Boss to the max.

Take a helmet, no shorts or tank tops. Take an extra bottle or two of engine oil, and check your oil level after each run.

Sorry to ramble on, but if this is your first time to the track, you may benefit from some of this.

I ran 4 times, 12.601 was my best, but with a 2.01 reaction time, I just spun too much and did not use the box. Next time I will, to heat up the tires as my next time out my goal will be sub 12.5's on street tires, hoping to match 12.2 or 12.3, but I'll be happy with 12.4's. It is a lot of fun!

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

best i could do 13.3 212 mph better tires next year did out run a new vet fun day thanks for the help hot slick track

ran a 211mph pass and a 212mph pass just wished i could have got rolling better wanted to get in the 12's lot of fun been 35 years since i went down 1/4 mile

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I'm thinking the OP ran a 111mph and 112mph with a low 13's ET.

But I know what he means about getting off the line, it tough in our street Boss 302's!

Good luck with your next time out.
Dave
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel