The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Darkhorse, first test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seriously, they put all the HVAC on the touch screen? All set, if I wanted to be distracted like a Tesla driver playing on a touch screen while driving, I'd..well lets not go that far.
Cool car, all our parts basically fit it, all I need to know. Like my $33K 2015 Base GT PP with 20K miles on it that owes me nothing, and it has knobs that I can touch without thinking.

Oh boy, Brake Pad Sales....
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST)4,028 lb (55/45%)

I believe the next gen should be always faster of the previous one.
If dark horse is the new 350... Then im not sure.

Curious from the new pirelli compound. Good braking for sure and the big incognito of the 10speed.
At 3800lbs is 200 300 lbs lighter than gt500. But heavier than gt350

I will wait to "judge" and see what someone can do with the car in a real race track.

Bay Area

Curious from the new pirelli compound. Good braking for sure and the big incognito of the 10speed.

I will wait to "judge" and see what someone can do with the car in a real race track.
Agreed, the next generation should be faster and better. But Ford has admitted that Shelbys always get the best. They built the GT350 and its an exceptional car. then the downgraded to the Mach 1 and now they have upgraded to the Dark Horse. The next ripper will be a Shelby just as history as proven

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria

Based on the figure 8 numbers which are on par with Mach 1 we can conclude that PZero Trofeo RS is similar grip to the Cup 2 but the stopping distance 86 ft vs 96 ft of the Mach 1 as well as the 12.0 vs 12.6 1/4 mile indicate that Dark Horse will be a monster on the track Lightning Lap will be very interesting this year with both G87 M2 and HP Dark Horse in we should see insane lap times. I'm sure the Dark Horse will beat the Mach 1 HP time (2:51.4) which is in fact faster than an M3 (2:53.5). I want this DH brakes hope Ford Performance put a kit for them in the catalog.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Well, I think Kohr will be running at least one of these next year, so I'll get some first hand observations.
They will be running the Dark Horse R I guess ? Lot's of people asking if Dean is looking to support a few Mustang Challenge cars. I wonder if there will be arrive and drive options as well for this series.

I am proud of Ford's commitment to the Mustang after ALL these years!!!!!!....To keep improving on something that was/is great some yrs ago (My Boss) is a show of their determination to be the best.........They convinced me, for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!....You boys who missed the late 60's/early 70's bad arse cars are getting your chance at it now......................... :hellyeah:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
75k sheesh.

Its 4000 pounds, not 3800. The S550 was 3700-3800

any way we can put this brakes on S550 cars :?
The stopping is in the tire and mag-ride/abs tuning. There is nothing special about these brakes. Same basic 6 Piston caliper that "may" be radial mounted, but it uses a bridge bolt (Every Performance Pack since 2015) rather than the much stiffer Fixed bridge caliper of the GT350. Rear brakes are basically GT500/GT350 and uses the GT500 rear architecture but the knuckle is designed for the leading radial mount caliper. Fords specifications for the brakes are vague at best, the official press release data is from Sept of 2022. They show the same brake system optionally available on everything including the ECOBoost. 390MM Front and 355MM Rear. Fronts could be swapped if you install all new knuckles etc (assuming they are not using the standard steel knuckles with a bolt on bracket lol) the rear would be prohibitive because everything is different (GT500) Axles, Hubs etc. And then you are limited to 19" wheels.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/.../14/2024-mustang-technical-specifications.pdf

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmm....In the article it says the following about the gen 4 coyote "then adds a forged crankshaft and connecting rods" they are already in the regular coyote for a while now... I guess these are the GT500 con rods.. With only 500 hp is that required? or just for bling factor.

Would not buy one, but.. I would accept it as a gift! :hellyeah:

The Dark-Horse price tag is a little steep for me and I'm sure an ADM might be included............ask me how I know?????????.....If you want a fast street hot rod the GT is your ticket.....If you're looking for a track rocket........."SHOW THEM THE MONEY".....................

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
The stopping is in the tire and mag-ride/abs tuning. There is nothing special about these brakes. Same basic 6 Piston caliper that "may" be radial mounted, but it uses a bridge bolt (Every Performance Pack since 2015) rather than the much stiffer Fixed bridge caliper of the GT350. Rear brakes are basically GT500/GT350 and uses the GT500 rear architecture but the knuckle is designed for the leading radial mount caliper. Fords specifications for the brakes are vague at best, the official press release data is from Sept of 2022. They show the same brake system optionally available on everything including the ECOBoost. 390MM Front and 355MM Rear. Fronts could be swapped if you install all new knuckles etc (assuming they are not using the standard steel knuckles with a bolt on bracket lol) the rear would be prohibitive because everything is different (GT500) Axles, Hubs etc. And then you are limited to 19" wheels.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2022/09/14/2024-mustang-technical-specifications.pdf

So you are saying that GT350 brakes kit is effectively been the same ?
It's not just tire though as Mach 1 is running similar tires but it's stopping 10 ft slower from 60. So this is a good improvment but yeah I'm with you on the stupid bridge bolt design. Mine has the annoying tendency to move. I know that for the GT350 rear conversion you need hubs and Axles etc. So assuming is the same for Dark Horse rears. Also the article says that Dark Horse brakes are 15" front and rears which can't be true as the GT PP1's are 15.4" inches at the front ... Hope someone will measure and gives us the correct information as well as what is needed for a swap to an S550 car (if possible).

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I can't get into this "dark horse" stuff at all. To me that's just selling the sizzle. The extra weight over the S550 is a big negative, the existing car is already too heavy and the new one is heavier again. Made my decision to buy the Mach 1 easy. Plus big discount on outgoing model helped too! :D
Picked it up yesterday, what a difference from the '16. The built in rev matching works really well, I was very surprised by that, first time I've had that on a car. But I prefer to do it myself so it's turned off. I can vary the duration and intensity of the blip better than it can, it usually just gives it a big sharp handful of blip and that's not always what is needed.

TMO Supporting Vendors