The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

G - LOC compounds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Hey guys.

I'm in North Carolina again for work but had the day off. Me being the tourist I am, I went driving around Mooresville and stopped in at G LOC. After reading a few threads on compounds I was ready to get the R16 and R12 hoping to really get a boost in bite. When I asked Danny (the owner) he said I should start with the R8. I wasn't expecting that low. He said it would be a good transition from the stock pads, but I don't mind taking the time to get used to something new. I told him how I've seen guys on the forums talking about 16's and even 18's and he said I could try the 12's, but it's better to work up than go too aggressive and work back down.

What are your thoughts/experiences with these compounds?

I plan to trailer the car and only run them on the track and would run the 315 cup2's I chewed up so far, as well as the new set of 305's I have.

When I told him I would swap pads, he mentioned the GS1 compound front and rear for the street, and threw in a 20% discount if I bought both sets at one time which I'm going to take him up on. They didn't have the R10's cut for the rear so I have a day or two to decide on which compound.

One more question.
They asked if I wanted them pre-bedded. I thought that was more for the rotor and transferring a layer of compound to it. Should I pay to have them baked in an oven ?

Thanks guys,
Chris.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
listen to Danny. He knows what he is talking about. I started with R10 front and R8 rear and worked my way up. I am now on R16/R12 set up. I only buy pre bedded. If you don’t bed them properly they don’t last as long and seem to crack more.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I ran R12's front and rear on my gt350 (vorshlag recommended at the time) for 2 seasons. They were a good match for my 200TW class, and did not screw up brake balance. Very quick bite, and maybe 20% more stopping power than oem. I would be concerned the lower compounds would be less aggressive than stock 350 pads.

I would keep oem pads for street use, but then it would be best to swap rotors.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I didn’t look to see what you were driving. My experience is with a S197 Brembo car. I’m not sure how the GLoc compounds compare to stock Shelby 350 but Danny knows his stuff. Make sure he knows the car how you are using it and your experience level.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Baton Rouge
Yeah, mostly stock 350. I gave him a quick run down of me and the car.
Stan - I'm curious of your same compound front and rear. Most seem to step down for the rear. You feel it was pretty balanced?
Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough, but I have yet to feel any abs or lock up.

A little eye candy from my field trip yesterday!
20231115_105146.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
One other thing. I changed compounds as I got faster, changed tire compounds, etc, but by the time I thought brakes were a limiting factor the current ones were in need of a change. I wasn’t changing them out to step up before I got my use out of them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Oh and if you end up only running R8 or R10 I would not bother changing them for street use. I had no issues running thise compounds on the street. Didn’t start getting noisy until R12.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Yeah, mostly stock 350. I gave him a quick run down of me and the car.
Stan - I'm curious of your same compound front and rear. Most seem to step down for the rear. You feel it was pretty balanced?
Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough, but I have yet to feel any abs or lock up.
It felt very balanced, really no change in balance from the factory pads. The gt350s have such large front pads and calipers they don't necessarily need more compound up front for balance. I like having some rear power to help with trailbraking and not cause too much push on entry.

OEM pads were a good power match for the 305 goodyear sc3. When I went to 315 falken rt660's, it was nearly impossible to trigger ABS.
R12 pads allowed me to reach the abs threshold with the rt660s if I was very deep into the brakes.

TMO Supporting Vendors