The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

gen 2 coyote valve issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ill start by saying I am no tech expert or experienced racer..however I am now officially starting to think there is a valve issue with the gen 2 coyote engines. I experienced mine a months ago on a motor with only 6800 miles on it. I am seeing more and more people running into valve failure on these engines but for some reason it isn't being publicly addressed, at least not to the level it maybe should be? Does anyone have any information on this?

I had an exhaust valve failure (left side) that has since left me waiting on a back ordered head. Valve dropped and destroyed the #8 piston at road atlanta in between turns 6 and 7. Motor had 6800 miles. This was the first day running comp stage 3 cams, however many people are having this same issue with stock cams. I dont know if its related but i have been told by numerous ford dealers there is no prediction when this head will be available again. I have sought out valve options in the aftermarket but due to the oddball sizing of the gen 2's, valve jobs are required. Ferrea apparently makes the only std sized after market valve to fit and it is still a triple groove valve, with its only difference being the material its produced in..and I have yet to find if its worth the bill. I have seen crossover lines on the fp350 engines and was wondering if this could be fords attempt at fixing the same/ or similar issue but im not familiar with any 350's having this issue. I know there are others out there experiencing valve train failure in young gen 2 coyote engines and with my limited knowledge and lack of technical expertise i was really hoping someone else would get a conversation started covering this issue but i guess its going to fall on me to get it started. Thoughts?

The #8 cylinder failure was common in the gen 1 motors too. Ask me how I know. :eek:

Also, the issue i am referring to seems to be spirratic in where it hits. I know of two #6’s, one #3, my #8 and another guy im pretty sure was #8 but i cant remember.

I lost an exhaust valve on #6 on my 2017 Mustang GT with 540 track miles on it (700 total miles). Only mods were GT350 intake and TB with long-tube headers and a tune. Since car had been stripped and caged, no warranty from Ford.

Ive heard of the #8 cylinder problem before but i was under the assumption it a piston overheating. Was that valvetrain related too?
The cause was never determined. Most likely the piston fried but there is a reason why the race cars run upgraded valve springs. @ArizonaBOSS

Did you upgrade your valve springs when you installed the new cams?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I lost an exhaust valve on #6 on my 2017 Mustang GT with 540 track miles on it (700 total miles). Only mods were GT350 intake and TB with long-tube headers and a tune. Since car had been stripped and caged, no warranty from Ford.
Ouch.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well, that 6800 rpm failure isn't confidence inspiring! Since I'm just "racing" against myself I've limited revs to 6500 max but generally shift at 6200-6300. I'm more concerned with getting corners right than straight line speed at the moment. I'd prefer to not lunch a motor just yet!:rolleyes:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel