The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gentex mirror installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you have installed the Gentex mirror w/auto dimming, compass, temperature, and home link. I have purchased one and plan on doing the install later this week. The wiring is basic enough (three wires and a temp sensor). My only question is regarding where to get through into the engine bay to mount the temperature sensor. I have found an install on an earlier model where the OP ran it through the fender through the antennae grommet, problem being we don't have a fender mounted antennae. I was just wondering for those of you who have done this and/or had the passenger side inner fender cover off if there are any wires routed through there of which I can fish a harness through.

Thanks.

azazell64 said:
Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you have installed the Gentex mirror w/auto dimming, compass, temperature, and home link. I have purchased one and plan on doing the install later this week. The wiring is basic enough (three wires and a temp sensor). My only question is regarding where to get through into the engine bay to mount the temperature sensor. I have found an install on an earlier model where the OP ran it through the fender through the antennae grommet, problem being we don't have a fender mounted antennae. I was just wondering for those of you who have done this and/or had the passenger side inner fender cover off if there are any wires routed through there of which I can fish a harness through.

Thanks.
I ran mine through the sound tube grommet on the firewall near the brake fluid reservoir.

Ha, good thinking. Did you run the temp sensor down the driver's side and the power wiring etc down the passenger side then or were you able to find a suitable power source on the driver's side? Also did you hook it up to switched power only or constant power as well to make the home link useable in an ignition off situation?

Thanks again for the help.

Maui
azazell64 said:
Ha, good thinking. Did you run the temp sensor down the driver's side and the power wiring etc down the passenger side then or were you able to find a suitable power source on the driver's side? Also did you hook it up to switched power only or constant power as well to make the home link useable in an ignition off situation?

Thanks again for the help.

I hooked the power only to switched power so it's not usable when the ignition is off. I did that on purpose in case the car was parked outside and someone decided to break the window to get in my garage... I got power from the fuse box by the passenger side foot well. There's a ground there as well. Good luck with the install. Be careful with the windshield too when you take off the old mirror. I have a link somewhere in this forum if you need to know how to exactly take it off. Good luck with the install if you haven't done it already.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
808Boss said:
I hooked the power only to switched power so it's not usable when the ignition is off. I did that on purpose in case the car was parked outside and someone decided to break the window to get in my garage... I got power from the fuse box by the passenger side foot well. There's a ground there as well. Good luck with the install. Be careful with the windshield too when you take off the old mirror. I have a link somewhere in this forum if you need to know how to exactly take it off. Good luck with the install if you haven't done it already.
why run wires all the way to the fuse box when you have switched power, constant power and ground all there 3" from the mirror?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
That is true, seems like a lot of work that a test light could have saved. The mirror I installed had a dimmer, homelink and compass function. I also needed a reverse lamp lead to cancel the dimmer function when in reverse gear. As for my power lead, I went with a switched lead to minimize the draw during the winter months.

This is a nice upgrade for the "street" side of our cars, lol

302 HP

DSC_0002_zpsf963aa12.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
302 Hi Pro said:
That is true, seems like a lot of work that a test light could have saved. The mirror I installed had a dimmer, homelink and compass function. I also needed a reverse lamp lead to cancel the dimmer function when in reverse gear. As for my power lead, I went with a switched lead to minimize the draw during the winter months.

This is a nice upgrade for the "street" side of our cars, lol

302 HP

DSC_0002_zpsf963aa12.jpg

Can you post a part or item number?

Maui
Justin said:
why run wires all the way to the fuse box when you have switched power, constant power and ground all there 3" from the mirror?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coulda woulda shoulda. LOL. I added the Gentex mirror in 2012 and back then I was trying not to splice into too many wires in my "new car". Besides, I had a bunch of mini add-a-fuses lying around and it didn't actually take too long to run the wiring down, so I decided to put them to use. But in retrospect you are right, I guess I could have tapped into the map lighting. Just wasn't sure if I could find switched power in the map light area back then... Should have used my test light...:(

Maui
TMSBOSS said:
Can you post a part or item number?

I got mine back in 2012 on ebay. The seller has been selling the gentex mirror for awhile. Here is a link to a new one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171281959838
It's a gentex genk 45a which has the auto dim, homelink, and the compass. You can email the seller to make sure it fits, but I have the same model.

I also did a write up on it. You can ignore the part where I got power and ground from since you can get it from the map light area as Justin and the others have said, but the first part of the write up has a video on how to remove the stock mirror without breaking the windshield.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2494.msg60887#msg60887

This is similar to the one I used, I used the GenK51A as it was on sale for a good price. The only issue I am having now is trying to get the homelink to mate to my Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener. For the life of me I can not get the two to communicte. If anyone else has experience with this please post up your comments.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
808Boss said:
I got mine back in 2012 on ebay. The seller has been selling the gentex mirror for awhile. Here is a link to a new one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171281959838
It's a gentex genk 45a which has the auto dim, homelink, and the compass. You can email the seller to make sure it fits, but I have the same model.

Thanks!!

Maui
azazell64 said:
This is similar to the one I used, I used the GenK51A as it was on sale for a good price. The only issue I am having now is trying to get the homelink to mate to my Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener. For the life of me I can not get the two to communicte. If anyone else has experience with this please post up your comments.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

What method are you trying?

Hold the outside buttons for 20 seconds, release, hold the button on the hand held simultaneously with the button I'm attempting to program. Wait for slow flash to turn to fast flash. This never happens, always just slow flash. Spoke to Homelink and they stated I may in fact need a repeater.

azazell64 said:
Hold the outside buttons for 20 seconds, release, hold the button on the hand held simultaneously with the button I'm attempting to program. Wait for slow flash to turn to fast flash. This never happens, always just slow flash. Spoke to Homelink and they stated I may in fact need a repeater.
I just put a new Overhead Door unit in at home and no go getting them to talk to each other. I was on the phone with Homelink and tried several things but nothing worked. They didn't mention a "repeater". I can program the one at the office with no problem and it's really old. I also got the one in the "Boss stall" to program at home and it's about 6 years old. I'm wondering if they have issues with the newest models due to encoding or frequency changes made by the opener manufacturers? Interested to hear what you know about this "repeater" as I'd like to get my new one programmed.

I thought that a repeater was a device that just boost (Repeatas) a singal for a device to transmit a signal. I mean, your in your car and the door opener is only what 20 feet from the car. I'm just not following the use of a repeater to slove a problem of the mirror not opening the door. If you were 1/4 mile away to help with the signal....I would understand. Sounds to me that there just not communitation between the two devices. Wondering how this will play out.

Good Luck
Jerry with a J

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
cloud9 said:
I just put a new Overhead Door unit in at home and no go getting them to talk to each other. I was on the phone with Homelink and tried several things but nothing worked. They didn't mention a "repeater". I can program the one at the office with no problem and it's really old. I also got the one in the "Boss stall" to program at home and it's about 6 years old. I'm wondering if they have issues with the newest models due to encoding or frequency changes made by the opener manufacturers? Interested to hear what you know about this "repeater" as I'd like to get my new one programmed.

Chamberland changed systems a few years back. Older and newer systems have problems talking to each other.

Call your opener manufacturer, probably chamberland, they make most, and have a conversation with their tech people.

I have had issues swapping out push button key pads when they die. Same thing, will not link up.

TMO Supporting Vendors