The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT-500 Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
BossTXB said:
Cloud9, thanks for posting these. I really appreciate it.....nice.
No problem. To me they sound a little tinny on the recordings versus live. It's a much deeper rumble in person.

Like Gary said, they are a lot deeper in person. Unless your using a recording studio quality microphone on your camera, your never going to be able to capture the true tone. You really need to hear them in person. Everybody that has heard my car accelerate tell me it sounds awesome.
I've heard the same comments universally from people at the track. The Porsche guys seem to like it in particular. In fact, it sounds downright intimidating when you couple it with wide open side pipes 8)

My friend has the GT500 mufflers with 3/4" discs (I have 7/8") on his Boss and he passed me a couple of times at a track day two weeks ago. It was nice to be able to hear what my car sounds like passing someone (me) and I must say it was the best sounding car on the track. Not necessarily the loudest but the best sounding. Even the soccer moms think it sounds awesome!

ace72ace said:
askjeffro said:
Good to know there are more parts than just the Box.

Is that a Marauder?

Heh, I wish. It's my 'paid for' granny mobile right from FL, purchased with only 69k orig miles... 15 years later it still has the original brakes, plugs, wires, etc. I was cleaning under the hood today and there's even a Motorcraft battery under the hood. Kinda doubt the original battery would last 15 years, but kinda cool to have such a nice time machine in my garage. I will feel guilty parking it outside all winter when the Boss takes its spot in the garage =/

My first car was a '81 Ford LTD tat we found in a barn with 25k on it. (This was 1997) :) I know the feeling.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
For a second I thought you were gonna say you put GT500 mufflers on a tricked out LTD... I upgraded the audio with a nice Pioneer touch screen DVD, JL/JBL/Infinity Sub system that really rocks. Looking at this thing with the tinted windows you'd swear it was a limo. Love my comfy cruiser, will be the perfect compliment to the new Boss.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
fuhrius said:
just had mine installed. I don't hear a big difference...was hoping for a more noticeable change.
sounds good though.
installed mine today too not much difference the side pipes aren't as loud back is a little louder. It is deeper though

ace72ace

For those that didn't notice a big change in the sound other than a deeper tone, I've read that a lot of folks install these and also remove the resonators. Sure that adds to the complexity/cost of the project, but it may be that one step that really makes a big difference?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
For those that didn't notice a big change in the sound other than a deeper tone, I've read that a lot of folks install these and also remove the resonators. Sure that adds to the complexity/cost of the project, but it may be that one step that really makes a big difference?
im not looking to do all that. Could go with 3" axle tubes or something but I think that might be to loud I would have to hear it in person first.

GA
fuhrius said:
just had mine installed. I don't hear a big difference...was hoping for a more noticeable change.
sounds good though.

Give them some time. I have had mine on for about 5K miles and they have definitely gotten deeper and louder. They sounded great right way but keep getting better. My Bullitt mufflers were the same way- it took about 15K miles to really hit the sweet sound.

They are probably a bigger change on a GT since the Boss has the quad side pipes.

ace72ace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioL8asAfcc w/o resonators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=qQJR3dLV880&NR=1 with

I did mine last year, they sound just perfect now, at first didnt notice much of anything different, then came loudness after 200miles, then came deepness , after 500miles : just perfection :)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
My friend has the GT500 mufflers with 3/4" discs (I have 7/8") on his Boss and he passed me a couple of times at a track day two weeks ago. It was nice to be able to hear what my car sounds like passing someone (me) and I must say it was the best sounding car on the track. Not necessarily the loudest but the best sounding. Even the soccer moms think it sounds awesome!

I just read this post again and noticed that last sentence. I have also very much so noticed that the Boss is a 100% certified Cougar Magnet. Maybe it's not a bad thing that the wife doesn't like to go to the track much... ;D

This thread has taken an interesting turn. My car mostly attracts older guys, the E30 sometimes gets cougars coming up because of the stripped interior and bars. And the firechicken on the hood :p Maybe because the Boss is white, not really a chick magnet color.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel