The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT-500 Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the gt-500 mufflers and they sound great one hell of a difference from the stock boss mufflers for sure and I also have the qtp and haveing the choice of open or closed for the side pipe is a great thing also. You will be happy with the gt500 mufflers.

four-walling said:
Do the GT500 mufflers overwhelm the sound coming from the side pipes?

Can you still hear the side pipes?
They don't and you can still hear the side pipes. Any reduction in back pressure from the mufflers will diminish the amount of exhaust coming out of the side pipes and I have less sound from mine with the GT500 mufflers. You can still hear them and it sounds fantastic.

BossTXB said:
I am looking at all kinds of axleback exhaust right now. Beyond Youtube clips, I wish there was a consolidated video/sound clip repository of Axleback swaps on the Boss's for these:

Borla - S type
Borla ATAK's
Corsa
Roush

I am thinking seriously about the Borla's but wish I could hear the Corsa's too.

One of the vendors has links to sound clips on a bunch of them, I don't remember which it was but it was on a link in one of the other exhaust threads.

GA
CaliMR said:
BossTXB said:
I am looking at all kinds of axleback exhaust right now. Beyond Youtube clips, I wish there was a consolidated video/sound clip repository of Axleback swaps on the Boss's for these:

Borla - S type
Borla ATAK's
Corsa
Roush

I am thinking seriously about the Borla's but wish I could hear the Corsa's too.

One of the vendors has links to sound clips on a bunch of them, I don't remember which it was but it was on a link in one of the other exhaust threads.

I think it is Late Model Restoration that has the sound clip of a Boss with GT500 mufflers on YouTube. It sounds sweet. I may end up getting the Boss side pipe assembly for my GT.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
5 DOT 0 said:
four-walling said:
Do the GT500 mufflers overwhelm the sound coming from the side pipes?

Can you still hear the side pipes?
They don't and you can still hear the side pipes. Any reduction in back pressure from the mufflers will diminish the amount of exhaust coming out of the side pipes and I have less sound from mine with the GT500 mufflers. You can still hear them and it sounds fantastic.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but do the GT500's have side pipes?

what the heck..I just ordered some too. For $300, I'll try just about anything. (intentionally left open for all manner of bad jokes, to be inserted here ;-)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
fuhrius said:
what the heck..I just ordered some too. For $300, I'll try just about anything. (intentionally left open for all manner of bad jokes, to be inserted here ;-)

Will you try sending them to me after you get them? No Charge I promise ! ;D Good luck with them, for $300 it seems like you can't go wrong. The lighter weight of the Corsa's seem good but they are more than twice the price.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
5 DOT 0 said:
fuhrius said:
If you want to hear them first stop by! ;)

The GT500's do not have side exhaust.

Wow, a Boss with GT500 mufflers along with their side exhaust.

That must be quite a symphony.

I WOULD like to hear that...

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I'm sure that the Corsa's are nice, and lower weight, big plus. But more than twice the price? Come on, what are they made out of titanium or something? I will have to order up some disks from 'you know who'... What do they run a set? I was thinking about a set of 3/4's...

BossTXB said:
I wish Cloud9 could record a formal video/audio clip of his Boss. I want to hear the Corsa's on his Boss.
OK, here are some vids from last spring. A friend's shop is just a few blocks from my office so I ran it up there at lunch so we could get it on the lift and slap them on quickly. I had him and his girlfriend take it for a shove so I could get a clip of the sound (I knew someone would ask ;D) Anyway I hadn't posted them before because personally I have never been a big fan of exhaust clips because they often don't sound like the real thing....not to mention on a cell phone vid. The other reason I had him do it was because you never really get to hear your own exhaust since you're INSIDE the car :D Anyway FWIW here they are:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTMIUDCJLM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbICV_6NpI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCY-kO3ayHw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8PGQ_RSXo[/youtube]

Are those all with the Corsas? The first one sounds a little different.

I recorded my exhaust to show my friend the difference between the keys, just did it by putting the cell phone on the passenger seat. It isn't perfect, but it gets more of an inside sound.

I would actually like a muffler with more bass and some flatulence, like the older Ford V8s, rather than the sharp sound of the new ones. I doubt it would really be that simple though, as a lot of it is in the timing and valve configuration.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
CaliMR said:
Are those all with the Corsas? The first one sounds a little different.

I recorded my exhaust to show my friend the difference between the keys, just did it by putting the cell phone on the passenger seat. It isn't perfect, but it gets more of an inside sound.

I would actually like a muffler with more bass and some flatulence, like the older Ford V8s, rather than the sharp sound of the new ones. I doubt it would really be that simple though, as a lot of it is in the timing and valve configuration.

sort of like this sound clip of the GT500's from Ford's website?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12437

TMO Supporting Vendors