The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@spartan @8250RPM

Interested in this approach. What are you leaving together and relocating?

3c6082065621cd2fbb4fef2032aad286.jpg

The harness has been moved from the steering column to the center panel (plenty of length to do that). I will mount the switch on the carbon fiber panel. This approach eliminates the use of the wiper controls which I don’t need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worse case scenario
You can use a separate switch for the wipers and turn signals.
A on off switch would work for the wipers and a momentary switch would work for the turn signals.
I do not believe the FP350S and GT4 use the oem multifunction switch.

The problem is all the controls go through the clock spring and module.

Agreed, but the majority of track organizations will require either turn signals or wipers or in most cases both. Driving a track in the rain is the best way to learn the car.

Wiring for wipers/washers/Hi Beam (required for driving on the track at night, which is awesome!) and turn signals is a lot of effort, especially as all the controls will be in un-familiar locations for most of us amateur drivers -- sure professional race car drivers, racing the GT4, are used to that. Most of us (unfortunately!) are not...

Last edited:
I understand what you mean.
My car isn’t as bare as yours and Spartan’s, I haven’t seen the clock spring / SCCM apart yet in person.

If the clock spring or clock spring tape could be retained why couldn’t it be contained inside the column housing and the steering wheel buttons be located on either side of the steering column and also retain the multifunction switch?

I understand what you mean.
My car isn’t as bare as yours and Spartan’s, I haven’t seen the clock spring / SCCM apart yet in person.

If the clock spring or clock spring tape could be retained why couldn’t it be contained inside the column housing and the steering wheel buttons be located on either side of the steering column and also retain the multifunction switch?

Right now I think that's the best solution. The only concern is the clock spring ribbon is folded at 45* for entry/exit to the housing -- a potential failure point from fatigue from vibration.

Last edited:
The decals have shipped so they should be there by the weekend.

The decals have shipped so they should be there by the weekend.

Decals arrived - Thanks!!

Finished up the Race steering wheel install. Wired red buttons for horn.

8F27866F-D71C-4786-B3A4-771DCC5D1039.jpeg

Ended up opening up the clock spring and using the rear half with a slot cut in the bottom as the male SCCM connector:

BCB7EC93-421E-46F9-A410-6174D5B52346.jpeg

Then ran the ribbon under the column behind the air bag cover using the front half of the clock spring as the gauge pigtail connector, zip tied in place. This approach allows re-use of the clock spring retaining screws in the column to prevent the SCCM connector shaking loose and re-uses the clock spring housing at each connector to protect the folded portions of the ribbon.

Monted the multi way switch on the airbag panel (Airbag removed).

C40E4A07-1941-4BE4-87FB-F3C0B4BDDD63.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors