The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Half Technical, Half General and Half Racing Forum post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
2012YellowBoss said:
No next week. I did not beat up the sides too much, this time it was the center that took the worst of it. I was actually running the pressure lower for the first three runs 38.5 so I add just a little bit after the third run. The after the forth I had to let air back out. I think after speaking with an experienced racer I will go down to 36 and see what it looks like. The center strip of each tire is worn down to the inside flat area on one side.

Good indication of over-inflation. Getting the right hot track temp takes some time... you'll get it ;) Anyone around with a pyrometer that can help you get temps right as you come off the track?

The main issue is shifting into gear before the turn rather then doing that in the middle or end of the turn. I had the back come out twice and it scares me or is it at least in the back of my mind and I don't shift correctly. At least I am shifting now, that is an improvement since the first few days I was hardly shifting at all except on the straights.

Are you heel/toeing? If not, then work towards that... practice on the street. If you aren't rev-matching in any way, when you release the clutch, the revolutions of the motor are lower than that of the wheels and will momentarily lock the wheels... which can easily unsettle the car in a turn. Downshifting and braking in a straight line until you get heel/toe down will assist you with corner stability :) Many pro-drivers do not heel/toe. You can still be fast without it!

I need to just slow down some more when entering a turn. Even if I slow too much that is better then going faster and doing it wrong. If this car was not in such total control out there I would have hit many walls by now.

Slow in, fast out... it works!

JScheier said:
2012YellowBoss said:
No next week. I did not beat up the sides too much, this time it was the center that took the worst of it. I was actually running the pressure lower for the first three runs 38.5 so I add just a little bit after the third run. The after the forth I had to let air back out. I think after speaking with an experienced racer I will go down to 36 and see what it looks like. The center strip of each tire is worn down to the inside flat area on one side.

Good indication of over-inflation. Getting the right hot track temp takes some time... you'll get it ;) Anyone around with a pyrometer that can help you get temps right as you come off the track?

[/quote]
It's really tough getting the rear pressure dialed in on the Boss. 32 cold on the right and 31 on the left is perfect on the fronts for the Nitto r-comps I've been running. Absolutely even wear all the way across the face. I've run through two sets now and the rears are still slightly overinflated. I started at 32, then 31 then 30. I'll be starting at 29 on the new set I'm putting on next week. Really surprising this car is so much different for rear pressures than the GT500, especially with 200 LESS rwhp/rwtq!

Some bigger tracks where you end up running a full cool down lap are tough to get decent temps by the time you make it back to the paddock. If you're on a track with light turnout and can get into the hot pits and take temps, you'll get a better idea.

cloud9 said:
It's really tough getting the rear pressure dialed in on the Boss. 32 cold on the right and 31 on the left is perfect on the fronts for the Nitto r-comps I've been running. Absolutely even wear all the way across the face. I've run through two sets now and the rears are still slightly overinflated. I started at 32, then 31 then 30. I'll be starting at 29 on the new set I'm putting on next week. Really surprising this car is so much different for rear pressures than the GT500, especially with 200 LESS rwhp/rwtq!

Some bigger tracks where you end up running a full cool down lap are tough to get decent temps by the time you make it back to the paddock. If you're on a track with light turnout and can get into the hot pits and take temps, you'll get a better idea.

That is very true, I had some runs at Palm Beach where I was able to run the last lap hard and just take it easy on the final leg. Lately the groups I have been running drive like they are on a side street going home so I have not been able to get constant reading. Been at 41 hot so I will try lower and see what happens. Learning is half the fun right? but no one told me how much it costs
8)

JScheier said:
Are you heel/toeing? If not, then work towards that... practice on the street. If you aren't rev-matching in any way, when you release the clutch, the revolutions of the motor are lower than that of the wheels and will momentarily lock the wheels... which can easily unsettle the car in a turn. Downshifting and braking in a straight line until you get heel/toe down will assist you with corner stability :) Many pro-drivers do not heel/toe. You can still be fast without it!

Slow in, fast out... it works!

I have been trying but not real good at it, biggest problem is repeating it over and over in my head to remember but my dam foot plants itself right in the middle of the pedal, I need to put some kind of electrical shock sensor on the middle of the brake pedal.

There is one place with a long wide road to nowhere and no traffic near here so I am going to practice, same one in some of the disc vids I made. Got to use it, or our tax dollars were a total waste. There is a undeveloped development just north of here, one bending 1/2 mile and a long straightaway also big circle in the middle. Need to check that out also, not going to go real fast but it may be a good place to practice this type of stuff.

You'll get some good practice/training at MMP which you can continue practicing on the street. I practice every day (and it drives my wife crazy) Also remember hands at 3 and 9 and treat the clutch and shifter as if they are on fire! Only touch them when ready to make the shift ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
Also remember hands at 3 and 9 and treat the clutch and shifter as if they are on fire! Only touch them when ready to make the shift ;D

I let that one go... but in the series of photos with the spun car I was cringing ;)

cloud9 said:
I believe I warned you, but I'm not going back and re-reading all my posts ;D

Find that post or it did not happen my friend ;) Hey look at the bright side, 2K worth of tires is worth 2K today, 2K in my 401K yesterday is worth $30 today .... I'm making money this way ;D ;D ;D

JScheier said:
cloud9 said:
Also remember hands at 3 and 9 and treat the clutch and shifter as if they are on fire! Only touch them when ready to make the shift ;D

I let that one go... but in the series of photos with the spun car I was cringing ;)

We shall see how well I learn, can't hide Miller from this site since everyone going with me is on here. They will be quick to post how my instructor jumps out of the car, throws his helmet and walks away into the woods never to return to a race track :eek:

In my defense (being defensive is so ugly) I never said I was an expert or even good or even so-so. The worst part is I have a friend that rides with me until his LS shows up!

Really I don't mind any comments it helps, that is why I post.

2012YellowBoss said:
We shall see how well I learn, can't hide Miller from this site since everyone going with me is on here. They will be quick to post how my instructor jumps out of the car, throws his helmet and walks away into the woods never to return to a race track :eek:
You should bring some padded gloves in case the instructor uses a ruler to smack your knuckles every time you have your hands are out of position. I'm bringing my video camera along to capture it. ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
You should bring some padded gloves in case the instructor uses a ruler to smack your knuckles every time you have your hands are out of position. I'm bringing my video camera along to capture it.

I've been known to smack a hand if it rests on the shifter too long ;D

It really is a hard habit to break, but if you think of what it takes to wrangle a car back in, and how much easier it is to do with both hands on the wheel, it becomes obvious that the best approach is two hands on the wheel at all times (other than shifting).

Forgot to mention this funny but interesting fact. I had put my phone in the center console and when I retrieved it there was a message about the phone overheating several times. I am running the trans cooler.

2012YellowBoss said:
Forgot to mention this funny but interesting fact. I had put my phone in the center console and when I retrieved it there was a message about the phone overheating several times. I am running the trans cooler.
My friend in his 5.0 and I both wondered about that. I retrieved my truck keys from the console after a session and they were really hot. He noticed the same thing in his car. Initially we thought trans, but then quickly realized it's coming off the exhaust. Whew.

Did Homestead-Miami Speedway yesterday, had some fun being out on a superspeed way but I will take Sebring any day over this. If Daytona is as much of a let down as HMS speedway was I will have wasted money. Part of the problem was track time, I got kinda mad after session three, first session a guy wrecked behind me so we had three laps - shiznit happens nobodys fault. Then session two and three started late because of a different club running right before us, a racing club. They swept the track after those guys but did not take into account the time for this and it cut into our B group everytime, 12 min and 10 min of a 25 minute session. To make it worse they threw the checkered flag 6 min before the end of our session and 1 min after the session end of the other club.

Anyway I had limited time out there until the last session, I finally had time to get to know the track a little. It is like 4 drag races with some turning mixed in. Turn 3 was very difficult, never did figure that out. Turn 8 was also difficult but could get through it at times. 12 and 13 were very difficult and almost lost it there a few times. Some turns like 1, 7 and 10 I got use to and were a lot of fun, you can carry a lot of speed in them and turns like 7 I was flat out by the end of the last session. There is nothing like going through turns hard on the gas.

Homestead.png

I did get limp mode once due to the same codes as last time P0300, 305 and 306. Ran about the same temps (242 the highest) as last time out. The oil separator worked well and no issues as far as I can tell with the PCV removed. There was less oil then I thought in the separator (again little time on track) but enough to coat the bottom of it pretty thick and kick myself for not having put this in earlier. I can just imagine how much I have sucked into the intake already.

Still no issues with things like the rear fluid coming out, made sure I put in the exact amount including the friction modifier. I would not even add that if it was not for warranty issues. The camber plates made a big difference in tire wear, I was chasing pressure all day with help but with limited time I never ran the tires to temp for extended periods. I still can not wait to get the taller front 275/40's on since I think the height will really make the car handle better but need to burn these off. Finished off the front brake pads, doubt they would have lasted the entire day if I had full runs but this was day five on them. So it looks like the HP+ will last four days for now. I guess someday I will need to move up on pads.

I will post a vid just to show the track, just no picking on me since I had no experience at this track.

CIMG1970.jpg
CIMG1976.jpg

GA
I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience at Homestead Miami. I drove it and other super speedway/road courses on iRacing and it doesn't leave me feeling like I want to spend the money to do it for real. I much prefer dedicated road courses. Come on up and try Road Atlanta sometime and you'll feel better. ;)

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Daytona is nothing like Homestead since you don't run Nascar 3/4 @ Homestead. Top speed is usually in the low 100 to 120. Daytona on the other hand needs to driven at least once by everybody. The 1st tiem you roll onto the banking is awe inspiring, though not near as scary since they repaved it and it is smooth now. The infield part of Daytona is nothing special. I would take Sebring, Road Atlanta, Barber, VIR, Mid O, Hallett, and Road America over both Daytona and Homeatead.

Peter

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice, what was your top speed at Homestead?

Really did not pay attention, what is the top speed in 4th, around 115? I was right about there, the straights are shorter they then appear plus the turns going into them are slow. I was looking more at temp then anything and did not do much of that since I was new to the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel