The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Has anyone done the Magnum XL swap and regretted it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ideally you should get the 26 spline with the stage 3, When we rebuilt it, we went to a 26 spline after the previous 23 spline one broke. My first Calimer was a stage 1 and it lasted for 3 seasons with about 420rwhp. Going to higher HP takes a toll on the car. Next time around will probably go for a faceplated race ready tremec..... But first have to work like a donkey to get cashed up again.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
My oem MT82 lasted a bit over 100k km / 60k+ miles which to me was pretty impressive. I blew up 3rd gear at the beginning of last season and since been running the Ben Calimer Stage 1 as it was the quickest solution to get back on track...

...Well that is until it began to give me trouble with the 4th Syncro during the last two events this season, so I've decided to just pull the trigger on a Magnum XL because I don't want to deal with the mt82 anymore or send any more money to Ben to put bandaids and his chinsey "stage w.e" parts on a box that is quite frankly made of glass. His build lasted almost two seasons which I guess is okay, although a lot less than my oem box which is suspicious, however, its clear the mt82 is just not up to the task, especially for what we throw at it and for the level of the current "super 200tw" tires being as sticky as slicks.

I'm really excited to get the new trans all together and I can't see how anyone would regret it. Nothing is bulletproof when it comes to heavy track & racing use especially with the grip level modern tires are giving us, but I'm confident this box will be a lot more reliable than mt82, also the fact a lot more people are familiar with this box and have parts to rebuild or service it.

I'd like to thank @EF1 , @cgornowich , @Fabman , @67GTA, @ArizonaBOSS and of course @captdistraction for the valuable information provided about what's involved in the swap. I'll post more once I have mine together and initial thoughts and feedback once I get some events on her!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
My 5th gear on my MT82 seems like it’s on its way out and I’ve been wanting to swap for the magnum for awhile now so I finally have a decent excuse. Trying to plan everything financially, and wondering what everyone’s input is as far as which magnum to get. The car will be used as a weekend/hpde car. I do like to ring it out to 7800 and I’m curious if I should be looking at the tick performance level 4/5 ($5700/$6300) magnum xl builds over a standard magnum xl. I’ve seen some people complain that the magnum xl still doesn’t hold up to high rpm shifting without the carbon rings and I’m curious if that really is the case? Any input is appreciated.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My 5th gear on my MT82 seems like it’s on its way out and I’ve been wanting to swap for the magnum for awhile now so I finally have a decent excuse. Trying to plan everything financially, and wondering what everyone’s input is as far as which magnum to get. The car will be used as a weekend/hpde car. I do like to ring it out to 7800 and I’m curious if I should be looking at the tick performance level 4/5 ($5700/$6300) magnum xl builds over a standard magnum xl. I’ve seen some people complain that the magnum xl still doesn’t hold up to high rpm shifting without the carbon rings and I’m curious if that really is the case? Any input is appreciated.
If you stay within the recommended rpm around 7600/7800 I the magnum is fine stock. If you’re going to 8k you will need some upgrades. Get the close ratio 2:66 trans.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
If you stay within the recommended rpm around 7600/7800 I the magnum is fine stock. If you’re going to 8k you will need some upgrades. Get the close ratio 2:66 trans.
For 8k shifts would the tick level 4 be ok?
It comes with the following and the level 5 comes with all of this and cryo treatment and micro polishing.
  • Installing Carbon Blocker Rings on first, third and fourth gears (second gear is already carbon)
  • Upgrading all fork pads from plastic to bronze
  • End-play set to our custom specifications
  • Professional Reassembly done 100% by hand
  • 5 Qts of Fluid

Part of me says the stock XL will be fine but the other part is saying if it’s already out might as well get the upgraded one. Just not sure if those upgrades are what I would need for the higher rpm’s.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It comes with the following and the level 5 comes with all of this and cryo treatment and micro polishing.
  • Installing Carbon Blocker Rings on first, third and fourth gears (second gear is already carbon)
  • 5 Qts of Fluid

Part of me says the stock XL will be fine but the other part is saying if it’s already out might as well get the upgraded one. Just not sure if those upgrades are what I would need for the higher rpm’s.
if you have the coin to spend it certainly won’t hurt.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
  • 5 Qts of Fluid

If you aren't competing then is all the fancy stuff really worth it? You can really go down the rabbit hole with fancy front plates /w sprayers, dog gears, face plating, etc... My thought process is to just run it as it, it'll be much better than MT82 ever will be. See how it does, and if you really do feel the need then least its a lot easier to pull apart than the MT82. More people are familiar with the T56 and can service them, so maybe a local to you that can help install upgrades later on, meaning less trouble / cost to ship it out for service.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
How are u liking the s1 sequential Shifter
I absolutely love it.
The down side is that you can't just hand your car to someone without teaching them how to do reverse. Its super easy, but not intuitive. So if only you and a select crew member is going to drive it you are good to go, but if you have to leave it somewhere say for service you are going to have to teach them how to do it because they aren't going to figure it out right away.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The S1 shifter is not a drop in insulation. In fact not even close. I think over the winter I will take my XL to Bowler transmission to have them look at fine tuning the shifter. They won’t even sell that shifter to you unless they install it.
Yeah, it can be a little finniky to install, depending on the casting used in your particular transmission. But it’s doable. I would definitely do it before the trans is installed.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oooohhhh look....it's on sale!
I wonder if they take payments....lol.

Hollinger.png

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I think I'll wait for Black Friday, but first I better call Capital One and ask them to raise my credit limit a bit.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think I'll wait for Black Friday, but first I better call Capital One and ask them to raise my credit limit a bit.
Hellz yeah...maybe it will 5% off...that'll make all the difference.
Now if I can only make arrangements for 10000 monthly payments...

TMO Supporting Vendors