The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Has anyone done the Magnum XL swap and regretted it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Some time ago I got this email about the DMA trans.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry about our sequential gearbox.

The Mustang gearbox is derived from favorite 1071-RWD gearbox. Our inline sequentials are very favorite gearboxes among racers thanks to its attributes like smart and reliable dog engagement design providing very quick shifts, strength and reliability. Optionally is possible to equip the gearbox with oil pump.

• See attached drawing s1071_500_rwd_uni to see dimensions of the gearbox without bellhousing
  • Patented dog engagement technology
  • Mechanical lock of R and N to prevent from unwanted shifting and damage.
  • Wide range of gear and drop gear ratios
  • Quick drop gears replacement
  • We can make any output flange on request or a slip yoke connection
  • Designed for hydraulic release clutch bearing AP 6859 or Tilton equivalent series
  • Contactless gear position sensor included
  • Straight cut gears
  • Billet casings
  • Oil pump recirculation system (optional)
Torque rating: 6 speed = 900Nm(660 ft lb)/5 speed = 1200Nm(885 ft lb)

Gearbox price:

RWD sequential gearbox = 8200 EUR

Bellhousing to fit Coyote 5.0 engine = 2000-2500 EUR * we haven't made bellhousing for this engine yet but for 2.3 Ecoboost it was 2500 EUR*

Optional:

Gear lever incl. strain gauge= 1090 EUR/650 EUR lever without strain gauge (used for shifting with clutch, for example in drift)

Gear indicator display = 250 EUR

Internal oil pump = 350 EUR

Shipping price is dependent on delivery location.

Gear ratios:

We have very wide range of ratios, so please tell me your requirements of top speeds, your max rpm, tire size and your rear diff ratio, then I will send you a proposal meeting your requirements.

What do we need to design it?

We don´t have design for Coyote 5.0 engine and there are multiple options how to make the design. We will need you to make some measurements of the input shaft on the gearbox (in assembled state) and we will need also bellhousing in our hands. But first, are you able to send me photo of your bellhousing? I assume it's not separate bellhousing but a big part of the gearbox.

For input shaft dimensions I would send you a drawing where you just fill in measured values. Or you can send us your original gearbox and we will make necessary measurements ourselves. But this we can solve later if you decide you would like this gearbox.

If you have any questions, don´t hesitate to contact us.

--
Kind Regards,
Milan Prochazka

D.M.A. Racing Gears, s.r.o.

www.dmaracinggears.com

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I saw the starting price at $19k and then there are add-ons from there.
Man, I'm gonna have to drink a lotta beer to get enough cans for that!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Like I said before I might have to remove more aluminum like the amount you did.
Yeah, I think I took more than I needed but for the whole 1 1/2 laps I got on the car it seemed fine.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thought about that! But to be honest two of my competitors run bimmer dct's and they have no end of problems. Both in programming and in temp problems. But I think Vorshlag has a right up about them.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thought about that! But to be honest two of my competitors run bimmer dct's and they have no end of problems. Both in programming and in temp problems. But I think Vorshlag has a right up about them.
I looked at a lot of different things last time around and ultimately decided it was not worth the cost and headache of switching everything over to a different unit.
Yeah, a sequential would be awesome, but for 30+k and all the retrofit crap needed to make it work on car that was already completed was just a bridge too far for me.
So a direct fit tremec and some go fast parts internally is where I went with this.
If this was a new build I would do a lot of things differently, but as a completed build I just wanted to patch this thing back together with the least amount of drama and get it back on track.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Detroit and dallas
Yah I totally get the heat from RPM, upshifting and especially downshifting. If not done properly, (I double clutch on the way down) downshifting really beats up the synchros and generates a LOT of additional heat in a localized area. I've not had an MT82 apart yet, but I assume they have some type of clutch facing on the blocker rings, which makes them grippy and fast shifting, but probably doesn't survive the rigors of road course use well, hence the comments I've seen other members make about dog rings LOL.

I'm just trying to satisfy curiosity here and wondering if I should get a hold of a core and start looking into it myself. There are TONs of these transmissions out there, and if there was a real solution that was cost competitive with the Tremec, I'd think it would save lots of headaches. I get what Calimer is saying when he refuses to stand behind an installed trans. In his mind if it's got 6 forward gears and one backwards gear and it spins over on the bench it's a good unit. The issue is it's not that simple in real life, and admittedly road racing is the harshest environment and the customers are low volume compared to all the mouth breathers that drag race. ;) So I'm sure when a road race guy starts having failures he doesn't have a good answer, and it's not his bread and butter anyway...
I don't find anything about the mt82 to be fast shifting matter of fact it's a dog reminds me of the old four Warner transmissions for the trucks back in the seventies those were die hard they would never quit but when you went to shift from first to second you would always have that hesitation and neutral you had to pull it wait a second and then it would pull in the second mg 82 reminds me of that there is no smooth transition at least not with mine I've got a double disc clutch mgw shifter it's the best it can be and it's hardly fast

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
I just completed my swap over to Magnum XL - its a stock Magnum XL from Tremec with the close ratio. I got the Exedy Hyper single and my car is on 3.55s & run mostly 315/30/18.

Initial impressions are.... HOLY, why didn't I swap this in like... almost a decade ago? After all the years of running the sorry excuse of a transmission Ford put in these cars, and applying all those silly bandaid "fixes" that aftermarket provides, including a polished turd "ben calimer built" box. I'm too young to have grown up with top loader transmissions, before the times of OEM slapping remote shifters on everything for the softies who cant handle any NVH. After driving around with the Tremec, its clear that every manual vehicle needs to be direct shifted.

Its winter season here in PNW, but will be breaking this in over the next couple months before track season returns. I'll have more impressions once I get back on track with this unit which I'm very excited for.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Well there's a rock solid review. Mine is ok, but at 125k miles I now know for sure it will be replaced, not rebuilt. I also talked with a friend who owns a shop near here and he said they swamp so many of the Magnum XL's into Mustangs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Well there's a rock solid review. Mine is ok, but at 125k miles I now know for sure it will be replaced, not rebuilt. I also talked with a friend who owns a shop near here and he said they swamp so many of the Magnum XL's into Mustangs.
I would not recommend anyone rebuild am MT82 after what I went through. The Magnum XL was designed as a replacement for the MT82. They are available new and aftermarket support is much better than the MT82. It is a very common swap with lots of support available in Tennessee. There are Tremec Elite Distributors in Cookeville and just south of Knoxville in Rockford.

TMO Supporting Vendors