The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Heavy competition from Nitrous car. Is it a valid option for a Boss??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, I would never have considered using Nitrous but lately I ended up third and just recently almost lost my first place to a car with Nitrous. Competing in Time trails that are either fastest lap of the day or Final three cars with one lap each. Just this weekend I felt comfortable with a 3 second lead on the nearest car till he hit the red button and on the last race was only 0.17 seconds behind. Its a carbon fibered tricked out MR2 turbo with nitrous. I saw the several of the competition coming to ask him if they can get a system as well..... Since he runs a shop that installs them!

Any one use Nitrous to get a little extra for a few seconds?? Seems like a cheaper alternative but fills me with misgivings.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Mad Hatter said:
Hi, I would never have considered using Nitrous but lately I ended up third and just recently almost lost my first place to a car with Nitrous. Competing in Time trails that are either fastest lap of the day or Final three cars with one lap each. Just this weekend I felt comfortable with a 3 second lead on the nearest car till he hit the red button and on the last race was only 0.17 seconds behind. Its a carbon fibered tricked out MR2 turbo with nitrous. I saw the several of the competition coming to ask him if they can get a system as well..... Since he runs a shop that installs them!

Any one use Nitrous to get a little extra for a few seconds?? Seems like a cheaper alternative but fills me with misgivings.

IIRC, the Boss composite IM is not compatible with Nitrous. Not sure how you would plan on plumbing it but the forged internals and 6 bolt mains should hold up to an occasional shot.

Let us know what you decide to do.
302 Hi Pro

I often wonder why we don't see more MR2's at the track.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think I would perfer to go to a Cobrajet manifold and cams.... The problem is not sure if I can find someone who can do the cam Job here in Chile. I expect I will be trying to fight off a horde of Hyundias, BRZ etc all armed with turbos and Nitrous in 2016. So far all the Camaros went to slicks so they go up a class. I still run semislicks.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There is probably a "plate" system that sandwiches an injection plate for fuel and nitrous in between your throttle body and intake manifold.

Not sure I'd recommend any of this stuff but done correctly it should be safe. The biggest deal will be to have a "wet" shot (sprays fuel in addition to nitrous) so the fuel system doesn't get overwhelmed. Then you rig it on a window switch so it's only activated for a certain RPM range at WOT.

But remember the fast and the furious--you'll blow yourself to pieces! :)

Real road racers don't use Spray! What series/group are these guys running with. Tech/Safety Insp should give them the boot. :eek: In the event of a serious crash Nitrous is considered as bad or worse than ruptured fuel. :mad:

ArizonaBOSS said:
But remember the fast and the furious--you'll blow yourself to pieces! :)

Remember, DANGER to manifold... FnF knows it all.
xhghjtvbfdtkf2n3oqfv.jpg

If you're set on going nitrous, I'd only spray it on the straights with a manual switch that's only hot when WOT.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hey this is Chile!! We only just got sound and some safety rules this year!! Last year I saw guys in shorts and Motorcross helmets. a 5.2 crate engine sounds awsome.... and expensive!! The fastest car in our league is a CRX that had 268hp at the wheels before he added Nitrous as well. He is leading the 800 hp GTRs by a second. But it does go against the grain to have a Boss on the spray. Will save and maybe try 315s out back :eek:

Presently, I'd think twice before pulling the trigger on installing a flat plane crankshaft motor.
Unless you are willing to rebuild the motor after every race.
Just sayin.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The 5.2 crate motor is not A FPC engine. Ford showed the latest engine at SEMA, I believe. This engine uses a standard firing order crank, likely a Boss crank, the 5.2 block and GT-350 heads.

Cams are ground to 350 specs for lift and duration matching the conventional coyote firing order.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel