The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helping a friend with a supercharger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What would be a good option for a supercharger for my buddies tracked 2013 Mustang GT?? I guess heat etc would be a more important issue then just max HP. My friend has already passed my boss by 0.4s and he is almost on par with some zl1's. Something with 600hp that can take extended track time. Any suggestions would be very welcome!!

Tulsa, OK
If he regularly open tracks his car I would suggest he shy away from a supercharger and spend that money elsewhere. Centri5.0 had a procharger on his car and he actually just pulled it due to all the issues he was having on track. Always blowing oil, heat issues, weight, no traction, lower rev limiter, etc. We think he will actually be faster around the track sans-blower.

If he absolutely has to have one I would lean more towards a centrifugal blower (paxton, procharger, vortech) as compared to a PD blower (TVS, whipple, KB).

Procharger is the way to go just build the motor/clutch and run super high front spring rates, vent the hood more, run a bigger radiator/fan.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Good option would be a Boss intake headers 84.5 throttle body and an AED tune.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yeah, think thats the way I want to go as well. Will try to convince him to spend his money on the simple stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Good option would be a Boss intake headers 84.5 throttle body and an AED tune.

That plus the airaid CF intake.

What about cooling and brake mods? For your short tracks, these would probably help him more.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
So far for the track he has... Stoptech st60 380mm with pagid RS29 pads (from Pete), brake ducts, LCA and brackets, AFo CAI, cat deletes. 3.73 rear, Koni Yellows and Boss springs.

He just bought these today.... P springs on the way as well as chassy stiffeners, Boss oil cooler, 19x9.5 drifts with 295/30-19 Hoosiers R6, Accufab 84.5mm TB, Boss 302 intake, and BBK longtube headers. He is gunning for the GTR

The funny part is the car is automatic. Well he is a hair faster then me already so what can I say about that.....

By the way, Thanks everyone at BMO in helping me, help him sort his car out!! ..and mine!!

Automatic? For da track, in a mustang. That is going to be tough. Our autos are not great for tracking. At least the 11s weren't, maybe they got better in 12/13/14

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, to me a automatic on the track is..... well ,... just not done.... But he started 4 sec behind me and once he got a bigger tire on the rear (295/35-19), ST60 380mm brakes and the Koni yellows...... now I am 0.3 seconds behind him so what can I say.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Well the new autos aren't complete turds like my old beloved 4R70W...and I'd love to see one catch a GTR, even if it's because of difference in driver skill.

Has your friend considered a full N/A build? For less money than the S/C, he could have some of the internals upgraded and the CJ intake...and probably go faster without the issues of navigating the track, uh, *sideways*. ;)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi Grant, I think he is waiting to see if the Header, Boss intake, tune, Hoosiers etc works first! Here is a "not great" video of our last race.

Mustang GT 55.757sec, GTR 56.085, my boss 56.092, Hot little VW got 56.328
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSEk4UyyFFE

This GTR is relatively new to the track, He was 0.013 sec faster then me this time and I got third to his second. The VW has about 300Hp at the wheels with Dunlop slicks.

At least I am only 1 sec away from the average ZL1's now! .... and still a long way behind the 800Hp GTR with Hoosiers (52.xx to my 56.xx)

Stay away from the track with a supercharger! They're great on the 8 second stuff, but put a Shelby on a road course with equal drivers and the Boss wins. I have a 2011 Shelby and I can't get anywhere near my Boss times on track. The car is a blast to drive, but the heat soak kills it on track.

But if he is dead set on a supercharger (He'll regret it) get the bigger one with less boost.

Here's a video of me playing with a 302S. My car is a 2011 GT with a 2.3 Whipple. I've spent a lot of time and money dialing this car in cooling-wise (well, and in every other way as well; suspension, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iFQCaufbPE (go to around 5:30 or so to avoid pit/warmup lap)

My initial suggestion, similar to others, is to stay away from non-N/A.

But if you insist, you can make it work - I've done it and the car performs flawlessly (and I'm down south, in Texas!). Just had it re-tuned on-site at TWS recently by Justin Starkey; it's making 590 rwhp.

Just bought a C6Z that I'm playing with and am currently deciding which to keep between the Z and the 5.0, and as of right now, I'm leaning toward the 5.0 - it drives like a dream (well, attributed to watts link/torque arm/coilovers/supercharger/on and on and on...).

If your buddy wants to talk PM me and I'll send you my #.

Edit: one interesting note: check out how similar the cars are on the main straight - perfect example of what a difference weight makes: my 590rwhp to his I believe 480rwhp - his weighs a heck of a lot less than my full interior+roll bar car).

TMO Supporting Vendors