The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Honestly-is the Boss too much car to enjoy on the street?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMO the Boss is one of the few cars that I've driven that has such a broad range of capability vs. driveability. I don't take it out on the street much at all outside of having work done on it, but I have tons of fun with it when just cruising and listening to that engine and the feel of the car overall. I actually drive like a grandma when i'm on the street with it since the town law enforcement is always lurking, and to me if it's not WOT on the track then street speed limit speeds are just fine. I did have to toast a new M3 once on I-84.... You understand ;D

You can break the law, cause an accident, run red lights, and probably get a Prius to roll over. But, I'd rather do it in a Boss.... Just not mine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

No. It's a very well behaved street car.
When I think of 'too much' I think of big cam, hard to idle, big torque monster that's geared for the track.

Like these....but I'd still drive that beautiful mustang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIALKZUnAc4

I think the Boss is perfect for street driving. I love to roll the windows down and listen to the engine. I live in New Orleans where the roads are terrible, however I still have the suspension set to the stiffest setting.

I traded a 2012 GT500 for the Boss. The GT500 is a great car however, it made no sense for in town driving. 90% of the time I couldn't use the supercharger. Plus the shifter is terrible (much worse that the Boss).

I'm pritty tame on the street with the Boss. Getting a ticket cost me track time so i would rather not get one. I use cruise control, drive in the right lane, and am extremely conservative. And no im not being sarcastic. Only get a little brave when noone is around and i actually want to. Which is rare. I'm hopefully getting a marauder for a dd soon so that will be my evil for street use.

So Boss

Boss at Vancouver (now Finland)
Nope, I enjoy my Boss everyday. Actually I feel that collecting Boss miles is like making deposits into my enjoyment bank.
Now 15k.

I am like some of the others and take it easy on the streets. Every now and then I gun it but to me it is the perfect car for the streets and I love having the power to pass or merge onto trafic. I feel I should start dressing nicely due to the stares and people coming up to me and asking about the Boss.

knappj69 said:
I feel I should start dressing nicely due to the stares and people coming up to me and asking about the Boss.
Or order a BMO t-shirt for every day of the week. ;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The Boss is just perfect on the street. Ford did a great job of making it 100% streetable.

I tear it up a bit on the streets here. Many of the non-residential streets here are divided 50 MPH stoplight to stoplight. Canyon roads often have reasonable speed limits around here. I can't think of a day that I drove the Boss and didn't go WOT or near redline. And that's because the Boss *isn't* over powered like so many other cars.

The only time I drive slow is on the freeway. My Boss has never been over 90 on the freeway...rarely over 80.

Grant 302 said:
I tear it up a bit on the streets here. Many of the non-residential streets here are divided 50 MPH stoplight to stoplight. Canyon roads often have reasonable speed limits around here. I can't think of a day that I drove the Boss and didn't go WOT or near redline. And that's because the Boss *isn't* over powered like so many other cars.
Same here and I just got back from doing so. About 65 here so I actually had a bit of grip today.

I agree with the writer who said the Boss 302 is the best mustang ever built. I drive mine daily and enjoy every minute of it. I'm only about 6 miles to work and its all back roads. I drive hard when I want to which is a lot of the time. I rarely make it past 4 th gear and don't even hit 4th that much. The narrow curvy roads with no lines make me cautious. It gets more attention than my Porsche 911 ever did. Do I hit top speed? Never have so far not even close. Do I hit the rev limiter? All the time though I'm getting better at shifting before that happens. It's the perfect car for me. Someday I hope to get it on the track. I had a built 67 fastback show car a few years back that was geared so low that it was too much for the street. This one is just right.

I was in my late teens at the end of the muscle car era, the used car lots were full of them. I had a great job so I got to enjoy many of them. I have always had fast cars. I have owned many examples over the years, including such things as a supercharged 572 Camaro and various incarnations of Big block 4 speed Dodges. None have managed to make me smile as much as my Boss.

Someone once told me, no amount of horsepower is too much, I have to agree. I don't find the Boss over powered at all. I do find it quite enjoyable to drive and it never fails to bring a smile. I live in a small town and have the only one in town so it also made me an instant celebrity around town. I get smiles, waves, thumbs up everywhere i go with it. Race red for the win.

Probably THE single best birthday gift I have ever recieved.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I daily drive my boss. I dont think its to much for the street but I have been driving cars with as much or more power than it has for years as daily drivers. for the power it makes it is pretty tame. like others have said no big lopey cam no high stall convertor. Just get in it and turn the key and drive. My 96 cobra had a start and wait till it got to xxx temp then tap the gas just so or it will stall cause the cams are to big for the stock ecu processor speed became a pain to drive.

I do think the tires in cold weather are to much for the street but then again they are summer tires so what else would you expect? Cant wait till its warm out again so I can give it full throttle again in the first three gears without it kicking sideways lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors