The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
amazing Kevin.

One thing you didn't mention was the coilovers...did you play with the settings? I know you probably had a million of other things to focus on.

TX
amazing Kevin.

One thing you didn't mention was the coilovers...did you play with the settings? I know you probably had a million of other things to focus on.
Not yet. Hopefully at road america. Working on getting the shifting and traction control stuff ironed out first

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
Was surprised about your weight. That's my "road" car with my fat butt included.
Worked out about 80lbs difference in car weight.
Shows how much goes back into it with all the safety gear, cooling, aero etc.
1718664534270.png
Surprised you could even see the corner looking at some of your photos.

Only thing i will raise coming from friends who have piloted some seriously quick cars, make sure you are up for the day.
Don't push yourself to exhaustion to make a track outing only to have you at 70%. You have built a beast that will bite as you have discovered already. Pretty sure everyone here wants to see you campaign this for years to come. Don't forget to look after the loose nut behind the wheel.

I know the frustration of wanting to get on track, and mine has only been in the air for 7 weeks and i want this lot of changes finished now.

Loving your work on this beast.

TX
Was surprised about your weight. That's my "road" car with my fat butt included.
Worked out about 80lbs difference in car weight.
Shows how much goes back into it with all the safety gear, cooling, aero etc.
View attachment 96260
Surprised you could even see the corner looking at some of your photos.

Only thing i will raise coming from friends who have piloted some seriously quick cars, make sure you are up for the day.
Don't push yourself to exhaustion to make a track outing only to have you at 70%. You have built a beast that will bite as you have discovered already. Pretty sure everyone here wants to see you campaign this for years to come. Don't forget to look after the loose nut behind the wheel.

I know the frustration of wanting to get on track, and mine has only been in the air for 7 weeks and i want this lot of changes finished now.

Loving your work on this beast.

I was a bit surprised at the weight, tbh. I was expecting more in the 3200-3300 range - but it started to make sense when I thought about it - there are a few things I chose to do that aren't super weight friendly. I didn't take the interior structure on a big heavy diet. There's a fair amount that's probably redundant in there, but I'm more focused on safety and absolute lightness. If I was building my own cage and doing chassis work, I probably would have cut more.

My radiator/oil cooler combo is pretty heavy - the radiator carries 20% more volume than the mishimoto it replaced and the oil cooler is identical in size. My oil system is something like 4.5 gallons to fill from completely dry.

I'm hoping that once I learn to work with CF, I can drop a 100 lbs off by replacing the doors, fenders, hood and front bumper.

and yep - the spins once I started pushing were a good wake up call. I realized pretty quickly this isn't a car I can drive when tired. Just demands too much attention. The tiniest little inputs with your feet or hands yield very immediate results and you need to be on top of it. For the first time in the car's existence - I've insured it for track use. Part because of the wake up calls during my shakedown at COTA and part because I really don't know what parts will fail on it and I'd hate for a bad tie rod end or shock mount to end up with me totalling the car. At least if that does happen, now, I'll have the $$ to rebuild.

Oh and thank you for the new wallpapers lol :)
Hopefully I get some good ones at Road America. And the night event at COTA July 14th is always special!

TX
Speaking of cooling - we're refining the engine protection safeties in the tune and I wanted to verify the real temps we were running. Here's some data from a 96 degree run. The car is definitely cooling enough. The "Coolant temp" is actual water temp measured on the hot side of the radiator. "EngineCoolantTemp" is actually the infrared cylinder head temp sensor. So water temp was running 170-180 degrees and CHTs were peaking at 231. Pretty wild

1718689833276.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Speaking of cooling - we're refining the engine protection safeties in the tune and I wanted to verify the real temps we were running. Here's some data from a 96 degree run. The car is definitely cooling enough. The "Coolant temp" is actual water temp measured on the hot side of the radiator. "EngineCoolantTemp" is actually the infrared cylinder head temp sensor. So water temp was running 170-180 degrees and CHTs were peaking at 231. Pretty wild

View attachment 96379
Data is a wonderful tool !!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Wonderful to see the progress. You have done amazing work there. For some solid shakedown time, on a great track, with real pro race driver instructors, you might look into the Advanced Performance schools at Eagles Canyon. Tons of seat time and very focused, advanced skills. The 2-day option is a great value too, and not far from home for you.
ECR Advanced Performance Driving school

TX
Wonderful to see the progress. You have done amazing work there. For some solid shakedown time, on a great track, with real pro race driver instructors, you might look into the Advanced Performance schools at Eagles Canyon. Tons of seat time and very focused, advanced skills. The 2-day option is a great value too, and not far from home for you.
ECR Advanced Performance Driving school
I really need to make it up to ECR. Definitely on the list for the fall!

1. Sequential gear is the greatest race car sound to exist. and you can't convince me otherwise.
100000000000%
You up for a ride at RA? ;D

I want one so bad
can't understate how much it transforms the car. Every bit as much as coilovers or slicks do. Just sucks they're so expensive

TX
Was looking at some lap data.
Here's a good indicator of how fast this car is going to be. Here's my apex speed at T2 on my best ever lap at COTA (2:21.07). 96mph

1718728821312.png

Same spot on the first time I pushed it through there - 105mph.
1718727925843-yu-png.png

it's going to be an absolute riot

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
The Central Valley of California
I really need to make it up to ECR. Definitely on the list for the fall!

You up for a ride at RA? ;D

can't understate how much it transforms the car. Every bit as much as coilovers or slicks do. Just sucks they're so expensive
One day...one day!
And one day I gotta visit you guys down at COTA and the likes!

TX
That's a huge temp differential between water and CHT! Any idea why that is? I thought it was generally accepted that CHT was roughly 15° higher than water temp.....maybe that's only applicable to more OEM setups. 🤷‍♂️
I think it's couple things. One, with the aftermarket ECU, the CHT temp is the actual CHT temp - there's no additional calculation happening. It's direct from the sensor. I think it's running at a higher refresh rate than OEM too since I could watch the CHTs fluctuate 15 degrees between the long straights and just 2 corners later. So it's probably showing peaks than OEM would because it has less smoothing.

Second, I think my water sensor location could be playing a part - it's away from the engine and I'm sure there's a bit of cooling happening between the exit from the head and the radiator.
Were you faster because you could build more speed or because you could carry more speed?
It looks like a bit of both, but mostly mid-corner to exit speeds are higher. I think all will be higher once I have it dialed. I was shocked to see the speeds through turn 2 as I still wasn't really pushing to see what it could do...mostly just working up speeds based on feel.

1718736883862.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I want one so bad
Being able to stay in the powerband through all the shifts is a really big deal.
Unfortunately, a good sequential costs as much as my whole car :(

TX
Being able to stay in the powerband through all the shifts is a really big deal.
Unfortunately, a good sequential costs as much as my whole car :(
it's a huge bummer how cost prohibitive they are - mine was like 17.5k landed after everything (not including any electronics). No idea how the guys racing Hondas, Toyotas, Vauxhauls, etc. in the UK justify them. must be cheaper for them.

TMO Supporting Vendors