The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hoosier wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
First time running Hoosier R6's and the fronts are not wearing evenly. Both Left and Right (which I rotated evenly) are wearing more on the (original) location of the outer groove:

IMG_1276Medium_zps6e1357d1.jpg

IMG_1270Medium_zpsc0218f25.jpg

The wear is more pronounced than the photo's show. If this was mid tire I'd put it down to over inflation, but its in the outer 25-30%. I'm running 37* hot with 2.8* camber.

Only thing I can think is that with the 295's on 9.5 Enkei's the compression on the bead is causing the contact patch to be extended out. Any other ideas or experience?

Also after 14 cycles and 4 hours, they seen to be cycled out.

06mach1 said:
They look like they are on too narrow a rim?
Jeff Speer technical guy at Hoosier recommended them to me on a 9.5 even though spec sheet calls for 10-12. Even so you could be right that it's causing more edge wear.

Without a tire pyrometer, I'd say underinflation. I might change that if I had hot temps and pressures. It's not a camber issue at this time.

The wear reminds of the wear I have on the rear tires of my truck, which the tires are too wide for the rimes. My rims should be about an inch wider. They are worn on the outside and in the center. Granted, big difference in tires and use.

blacksheep-1 said:
Without a tire pyrometer, I'd say underinflation. I might change that if I had hot temps and pressures. It's not a camber issue at this time.
I wondered that as well. I'm running them at 40-41 HOT but was thinking of trying to bump to 42-43 and see how they fare. Max pressure on R6s is 44..........

Is that max inflation or max recommended inflation?....not always the same.

Also hoosier has a nifty compatibility chart

https://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm

blacksheep-1 said:
Is that max inflation or max recommended inflation?....not always the same.

Also hoosier has a nifty compatibility chart

https://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm
IDK it just says "Max Press 44 PSI" on the sidewall

I'm familiar with the compatibility chart which says 10-12" rim for the 295s, but Jeff Speer said ok to run on a 9.5" rim.

steveespo said:
Gary are you cording outer edges? I am cording my Contis on the inner edges at 12-15 cycles and was thinking of reducing Camber. Any thoughts? Toe is - 1/16"
Steve
Yes I'm cording the outer edges. I'm at zero toe. I'm not sure why you're cording the inner edges, logic says too much camber, but I don't know what the toe out does to tire wear on the track. I know it can "chop" the outer edges on street tires though :D

Steve, as a comparison, I finally corded my left sides, both front and rear after 28 cycles on the Conti GT-O's. I'm running -2.5 up front. I shoot for 36 psi hot on all four corners. You know how I baby my car on the track. :)

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
I must have something off with my alignment. Hate to do it but will put it up on a rack to check. I max out at -2.2 or 2.3 but am wearing inside edges. No real street driving to speak of especially with the slicks.
Steve
I'd check alignment. Both my Contis and the Hoosiers are wearing evenly inside/outside, other the the issue on the Hoosiers in my OP, and I'm running 2.8* Camber, zero toe.

Again..no matter what your alignment specs are I don't think that wear is a camber issue, also instead of rotating tires side to side, keep them on the same side and rotate them front to back. They seem to be happier that way. If you swap them side for side then remove them from the wheels so the rotation is maintained.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
blacksheep-1 said:
Again..no matter what your alignment specs are I don't think that wear is a camber issue, also instead of rotating tires side to side, keep them on the same side and rotate them front to back. They seem to be happier that way. If you swap them side for side then remove them from the wheels so the rotation is maintained.
Not an option for me as I'm running staggered: 295/315. Flipping sides also corrected the tire slippage on the rim ???

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just got the car back from the shop and sure enough it was too much toe out -1/4" total. Set to 0, cambers equalized at -2.3 both sides max was -2.6 on right, -2.3 left. and caster max at 6.7 degrees. Steering feels much lighter, fronts were really scrubbing down the straights. We'll see how it runs this coming week.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel