The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

how do i install the race abs module?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
Disabled completely. Swapping modules is possible but not recommended as dust and dirt can mess with the contacts at the ABS distribution block. Maybe that is what happened with Gary.
Steve
Could be but there was no wind and clear air. Also, the factory module works fine so unless it just affected the race module I'm guessing (hoping) it's just a bad unit.

cloud9 said:
Disabled completely and you can't turn it on which is what I want. It's the first thing I do when I get in the car anyway. For me, I'm tired of it occasionally turning back on while on track! :mad: It happened to me a couple weeks ago during NASA TT forcing me into the pits.
That is really weird, with it all the way off I have never had it come back on, and I have had some serious woopsies when on track and on the road, never came to my safety.

The fact the ABS light is on is showing there is a major fault somewhere in the system. Since you switched back to you stock unit and the light goes away says the unit is bad and not a sensor at a wheel or other part. Basically I get the same lights and messages I got when shutting it off with the factory module but without having to do anything except turing the key.

My module came straight out of a race car, they were more concerned about making sure I pulled it straight out from the ABS pump then any kind of dirt (it has long pins that go into the pump). While getting parts like this dirty is never good I doubt getting just a little dust on it will cause a failure. The guys on different teams have swapped out the units many times during development (were on -C) without a failure because of dust or dirt.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I did mine this morning and got the same response as Gary's did. I disconnected the battery before starting and did everything in a clean environment, wiped down the original housing and connector before removing anything. Torqued screws to 27 in/lbs per spec. Turned on key and had flashing ABS and the advance track active icon flashing. Drove car for 20 minutes and it stayed the same, ABS worked fine and traction control and Advance track were both on, was able to shut TC, shut Advance track to off but no sport mode.
This sucks, only 15 minutes to swap but just a waste of time. Gonna send Rehagen an email, maybe have to do the IVD initialization as described in the workshop manual?
Steve

steveespo said:
I did mine this morning and got the same response as Gary's did. I disconnected the battery before starting and did everything in a clean environment, wiped down the original housing and connector before removing anything. Torqued screws to 27 in/lbs per spec. Turned on key and had flashing ABS and the advance track active icon flashing. Drove car for 20 minutes and it stayed the same, ABS worked fine and traction control and Advance track were both on, was able to shut TC, shut Advance track to off but no sport mode.
This sucks, only 15 minutes to swap but just a waste of time. Gonna send Rehagen an email, maybe have to do the IVD initialization as described in the workshop manual?
Steve
That sucks. Mine is already on the way back to Rehagen and supposed to arrive on Tuesday. Bill has a car there to test it on but it would be surprising that we both got defective units??

steveespo said:
Seems like the cars aren't recognizing the new modules and going into fail safe mode. I think we may find that we have to have the dealer activate the new module with their IDS equipment. Been searching for info but not alot out there.
Steve
I emailed my dealer....will let you know what I hear.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
From the manual;
ABS Module Calibration
When a new ABS module, HCU, or RCM is installed, the ABS module must be calibrated. The calibration procedure is required for the ABS module to
learn the zero-position of the various ESC sensors and components.
If a DTC(s) sets for any component of the ESC system, correct the fault condition and clear the DTC before carrying out the calibration procedure. The need
to calibrate the ABS module is also indicated by the stability/traction control indicator (sliding car icon) in the IPC flashing once every 2 seconds. The
indicator flashes after clearing the DTCs associated with the ESC systems.
To calibrate the ABS module, carry out the IVD Initialization sequence using the scan tool.
If a DTC is retrieved after calibration, refer to the ABS Module DTC Chart in this section.

steveespo said:
From the manual;
ABS Module Calibration
When a new ABS module, HCU, or RCM is installed, the ABS module must be calibrated. The calibration procedure is required for the ABS module to
learn the zero-position of the various ESC sensors and components.
If a DTC(s) sets for any component of the ESC system, correct the fault condition and clear the DTC before carrying out the calibration procedure. The need
to calibrate the ABS module is also indicated by the stability/traction control indicator (sliding car icon) in the IPC flashing once every 2 seconds. The
indicator flashes after clearing the DTCs associated with the ESC systems.
To calibrate the ABS module, carry out the IVD Initialization sequence using the scan tool.
If a DTC is retrieved after calibration, refer to the ABS Module DTC Chart in this section.
Ugh. I wonder why most people are able to just slap it in and go??

Did mine at the track without torquing, disconnecting batteries or cleaning anything. Just slapped it in while eating lunch. Started the car up and it has worked perfectly ever since - and it was used. Sounds to me like bad programing, could be a batch were made this way. Hope you guys get it figured out.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Maybe the fact that yours was used meant it was initialized already and read your cars sensors. I think our issue is we need the Ford ABS scan tool to calibrate to our cars. Seems unlikely to me that they would both be bad but I guess it's possible. Dean at Rehagen is going to check with Ford Racing tomorrow.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tob said:
Just wanted to mention that I was able to bolt mine in and go in my '09 GT500 as well.

Tob, I'm assuming you used the FR500S module, not the 302R module?

ArizonaGT said:
Tob, I'm assuming you used the FR500S module, not the 302R module?
Turns out Steve's and mine weren't programmed to the 302R specs by FR but would work as FR500S modules. We're waiting for the properly programmed units yet....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Turns out Steve's and mine weren't programmed to the 302R specs by FR but would work as FR500S modules. We're waiting for the properly programmed units yet....

Well that is disappointing. I hope your re-programmed modules arrive quickly and trouble-free!

TMO Supporting Vendors