The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

how do i install the race abs module?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
Budget Boss said:
I was in HPDE 2. Spun out in turn 4, which shouldn't of happened. I did 3 laps at 5/10th and then 2 laps at 8/10ths, then on the 6 lap I was still about 8/10ths when I spun out. It sucked. The one good thing is I had an instructor, Marty, when it happened and he made sure to tell them it wasn't driver error, but car error.

Glad it wasn't worse. And it's nice that someone can vouch for you that the crash wasn't your fault. :) Hopefully the new ABS module will cure your issues.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
It's it's own special chime too. We need to check with Bill at rehagen and Mark Wilson if he's still at Ford Racing and find out if there is a way to disable it. Probably possible through the Ford IDS software.
Steve

Tested this at the track today. Worked great. Traction control and Adance Trac are off and ABS is less intrusive. Back end was a bit squirrily under very hard braking from high speed, but that's probably down to my suspension changes.

Great news is that the chime is not audible under track conditions :)

Black Boss said:
Tested this at the track today. Worked great. Traction control and Adance Trac are off and ABS is less intrusive. Back end was a bit squirrily under very hard braking from high speed, but that's probably down to my suspension changes.

Good to hear. Thanks for the report.

I installed my ABS unit yesterday. Can't wait to get to the track. I am unable to clear the check brake system because I have the Ford racing quick discount steering wheel. As long as the Advance trac is shut off I don't care. My last off because of the Advancetrac trac cost me over $1000. Mostly man hours as they tried to fix the alignment.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Black Boss said:

Changing front pads today, did not expect to have to change rears, but I had to!! They have worn significantly since I upgraded the ABS. I already noted the braking behavior -- most notable braking from 115+ mph.

Seems like this ABS unit may increase rear bias? I am running stock diameter rotors with Pagids Front and Rear.

Anyone else checked rear pad wear after this upgrade?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran last weekend at Charlotte for 3 days with the -CA module and loved it. Ran 2 days dry and 1 day FULL WET and the car felt more composed under braking, not anything earth shattering but a better feel is noticeable. Also I felt small ABS interventions that quickly shut off under hard threshold breaking from 130 to 55 entering the infield and from 95-40 at turns 4 and 5. In the wet I was scared at first since I had the new ABS and NO Advancetrack to lean on but the car performed great on the PSS tires. As a last observation, when running sport mode or even 'Advancetrack off' I used to get a lot of rear brake heat and wear each session, last week wear seemed minimal.
Steve

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
As a last observation, when running sport mode or even 'Advancetrack off' I used to get a lot of rear brake heat and wear each session, last week wear seemed minimal.
Steve

I experienced the same wear with Sport Mode and Advancetrack on. Way less rear wear with all the nannies off with stock ABS

With the -CA ABS after 4.1 hours of dry track time, the front pads wore by 3mm and rears by more like 4mm. Changed all pads and will monitor very closely for next sessions in 12 days..........

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
That's odd I think I'm running two year old rear rotors and get probably 10 events on a set of rear pads. Fronts are a different story though.

Same here. Rears last "forever".

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Black Boss said:
I experienced the same wear with Sport Mode and Advancetrack on. Way less rear wear with all the nannies off with stock ABS

With the -CA ABS after 4.1 hours of dry track time, the front pads wore by 3mm and rears by more like 4mm. Changed all pads and will monitor very closely for next sessions in 12 days..........

Running the new ABS with Pagid (Yellow) front and Pagid Rears, the rears are down to the backing plate after 4 track days (8 hours). Fronts have another day left.

Talked to Bill and Dean at Rehagen and although they don't have experience with Pagid, Dean suggested maybe a less aggressive rear pad, and maybe a more aggressive front.

Anyone have any experience running the Pagids with the -CA module?

Tulsa, OK
steveespo said:
Psst...Please try a set of Carbotech XP-24 and XP-10/12. I think you will like the overall feel and performance. If not, I don't know of anything Pagid has that is more agressive for the calipers, Pete may have some Skunkworks insight from Pagid.
Steve

^X2... The 24/10 setup I have absolutely rocks.

Conclusion?
Is that ABS module worth it?
I have it but could do without the check lights and the feeling something "might" be wrong...

patrickshelby said:
Conclusion?
Is that ABS module worth it?
I have it but could do without the check lights and the feeling something "might" be wrong...

I had the same feeling. There is nothing wrong with the car. Ford has this set up to light up all the lights because it's only for off road use.

This question probably has been asked before but I couldn't find it. Do you run this ABS module on the street too or do you change back to the stock module for street. It looks like most of these cars that use it are track only cars. Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors