The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

how do i install the race abs module?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
It is strange, Gary and I had issues with the -C model and Bill and Dean at Rehagen contacted Ford to help us get updated modules, the -CA versions. Why Ford Racing wouldn't inform them and us that it would cause brake failure messages on street cars I don't understand. If this one doesn't work for me I will just forget about it and ask for shop credit on a return.
Steve

The tough part is I just talked to someone who said there is a significant lap time and tire wear benefit to using it. I have to decide if I'm willing to live with the lights..... :-\

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bill replied on S197forum and was saying the additional lights are not malfunctions on the -CA unit, just more legal CYA stuff by Ford so it doesn't get used on the street.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I guess but if I have a real brake system failure and ignore the lights because they're always on, that wouldn't work out well for me or Ford.
Gary where do you think the lap time is gained? I brake pretty hard with only rare engagement of the ABS, only if I spike them on or carry too much pedal trying to trail brake. With sticky tires lock up should be even less an issue right?

If someone has the technical upside I'd like to hear it.
Steve

steveespo said:
I guess but if I have a real brake system failure and ignore the lights because they're always on, that wouldn't work out well for me or Ford.
Gary where do you think the lap time is gained? I brake pretty hard with only rare engagement of the ABS, only if I spike them on or carry too much pedal trying to trail brake. With sticky tires lock up should be even less an issue right?

If someone has the technical upside I'd like to hear it.
Steve
I'm not sure exactly where the lap time is gained Steve and admit I'm skeptical, but the person telling me that it helps is pretty experienced. I think the gains on the SN95 cars is more significant than the S197s since the ABS systems have advanced so much. The tire wear improvement piqued my interest more to be honest. I also brake aggressively and don't often engage the ABS, although last year noticed it kicking on routinely in some rough braking zones running slicks. My hope is that it would help in those areas to control the braking better, thereby improving lap time and tire wear.....or they'd fix the tracks in those spots ;)

I agree with you about ignoring the lights. That's not what I want to do either......and why I'm still undecided about installing it. It's unfortunate they had to go that route with the updated modules. The nanny state is alive and well.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I have been following this thread with great interest. But gotta say it appears Ford has let the lawyers ruin a simple up grade for track days. So this is getting crossed off the mod list. Too bad....

cloud9 said:
Where were you able to find a C versus a CA? Leftover inventory?
EBay. Paid a $75 premium. There is another one on there. They want a $150 premium. So $430 if I remember.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

VTBoss302 said:
My experience after installing the ABS race module last year was pretty much the same as ArizonaBOSS

After swapping modules the IC lit up like a Christmas tree

Car was driven for a bit then shut down

Next time the car was started all the lights were gone except the TC off solid yellow light and the message advancetrac off (which can be turned off)

Been that way ever since

Only real difference is that I ended up getting the M-2353-B (module with bracket) because I had an upcoming track event and the M-2353-C (just the module) was out of stock at FR at the time (June 2013)

Curious to know what's different about this updated M-2353-CA and hope you all get it figured out

+1. I also had my module installed in June 2013.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Bill replied on S197forum and was saying the additional lights are not malfunctions on the -CA unit, just more legal CYA stuff by Ford so it doesn't get used on the street.

Copied from the S197 forum:

The final batch of M-2353-C was incorrect. It was an incorrect part, with an incorrect program. Some of our customers noticed this first and worked with us and Ford Racing to figure out the issue. I believe the affected units will be dated between July-2013 to Oct-2013. You can tell these units from the rest by blinking warning lights on the dash, and the need to still deactivate the traction control.

Since that time, they have discontinued the C and have now released the M-2353-CA. This is the new unit, with a completely new program. They addressed some issues in the previous unit programming and calibrated it to work with more tire sizes and staggered fitments (PWC 2014).

With all that being said, the C and CA both will show multiple "faults" on the dash of a street car. We do not see these as we run an AIM standalone display unit. The C unit showed Traction and Stability due to those functions no longer being present. The CA shows a "check braking system" warning on the display, as well as the hand brake light. People are jumping to the conclusion that the unit is still not right due to the last bad batch. So far we have been running the new unit with 3 race wins in 4 weeks. Ford Racing will not confirm the units use in a street car with a stock dash due to the nature of the part (off-road competition use only). They don't want that unit run on the street, period. The lights are there as a warning to the driver that something is not as the factory intended. We have yet to run the new unit in any cars running the stock dash, but 4 of our cars have been out with the new unit already and all have worked as they should. Although each car has an AIM display, all are using a factory ECU and factory based tune (nothing exotic)

We are waiting for weather to brake so we can run the unit in a stock dash car and see if there is any difference between this and a car running an AIM unit (there shouldn't be as they only display info from the ECU). We believe that once the first few people run the car at the track the paranoia will reduce and people will get used to the dash warning lights. Just like they did with the last version.

I hope this clears up any questions

-Bill

Thanks VT. That's interesting about the staggered tire sizes. The way I'm setup right now the -C may not have worked for me anyway. Once they have a chance to test it I think I will probably go ahead and install and use a piece of electrical tape over the hand brake light. The check braking system light can be cleared just like the TPMS warning by hitting the reset button I assume.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I think the unit will function correctly but the warning light and message will be annoying. I think I will put my Traq Mate on the column and blank out everything. Need to install a gas gauge in the LS dash pod, anyone know how to tap the fuel level sensor?
Steve

So got mine installed, ABS functions well. Esp and tc from test drives appear to be off. Abs and tc idiot lights flash once every 5 secs or so. So seems to be perfect. First track day in 10 days at TWS.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I have the C version sitting in box waiting to decide what to do. Sounds like going with the CA version is worth doing. Has anyone had luck returning and exchanging the C for the CA? I bought mine from Summit.

TMO Supporting Vendors