The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How light can boss 302 or GT be ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Day,

Guys if you have any idea or any experience in stripped out 2011-14 mustangs please share.

I would like to know what kind of weight is achievable as lightest for our track dedicated cars...

any thought would be highly appreciated ladies/ gents

High 3100s without driver, if you have carbon doors and lexan.

thank you for your input... can you give us an idea what kind of things should be done to achieve that kind of weight .. actually im suprized and pleased to know that such weight saving can be reached.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
@Fabman. I know the electrical is a huge weight savings. Plus carbon fiber. But then it goes back to what’s the budget and your plan?
Not sure how I got dragged into this....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
High 3100s without driver, if you have carbon doors and lexan.

My understanding is about 3,200 before swapping body panels. My goal for a V6 build is about 3,100 flat.

actually im suprized and pleased to know that such weight saving can be reached.
Check some of the other builds. Lots of examples of what can be achieved for track only projects.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The actual key to your answer would be to find out if your track dedicated car is to be set up for Time Trials, Road Racing, or just HPDEs? Reason to ask is your HP and weight requirement may determine your weight more than all of us guessing at the number? Time Trials in SCCA are different from NASA, as are most of their road racing classifications. So give us your intent and you may find no need to shed as much weight as you may envision?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
w/o...not everybody is the same, uh, weight. ;)

The actual key to your answer would be to find out if your track dedicated car is to be set up for Time Trials, Road Racing, or just HPDEs? Reason to ask is your HP and weight requirement may determine your weight more than all of us guessing at the number? Time Trials in SCCA are different from NASA, as are most of their road racing classifications. So give us your intent and you may find no need to shed as much weight as you may envision?

Great point, Bill. But OP is not in the states, IIRC.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hmmm..........since not in the States I would say we still need more info to ascertain his end goal, since depending on what he plans to do with the car, various items that he may do to lighten the car may put him in the wrong class or miss out on proper preparation for his end goal?

till now my car is not dedicated for something specific, im using the car for weekend fun. So whenever there is an autocross or drag competition on weekends i go and just enjoy my car. On some weekends i drive to a formula 1 circuit just for open day fun.

My plan is just to see how light can a boss 302 be, get some more info and compare its reduced weight to corvettes (c6s and c7s). My car is not used as a daily driver its a weekend warrior which is just enjoy its acceleration, handling and speed in.

Plus it would be a great reference if there is some builds which shows the car weight and the things which was made in order to achieve that reduced weight.

From what i see i think there is a great room of weight reduction for mustangs but i dont think theres a good amount of weight savings in corvettes .. so im weighing the options if mustangs can get to a weight close to corvettes or not( my curiosity).

till now my car is not dedicated for something specific, im using the car for weekend fun. So whenever there is an autocross or drag competition on weekends i go and just enjoy my car. On some weekends i drive to a formula 1 circuit just for open day fun.

My plan is just to see how light can a boss 302 be, get some more info and compare its reduced weight to corvettes (c6s and c7s). My car is not used as a daily driver its a weekend warrior which is just enjoy its acceleration, handling and speed in.

Plus it would be a great reference if there is some builds which shows the car weight and the things which was made in order to achieve that reduced weight.

From what i see i think there is a great room of weight reduction for mustangs but i dont think theres a good amount of weight savings in corvettes .. so im weighing the options if mustangs can get to a weight close to corvettes or not( my curiosity).
@Fair go look up Vorshlags massive S197 blog, they do an excellent job of weight bits, parts, and pieces producing relevant data

ny
I got my fr500c to 3250+ was at 3400+closer to 3500 for grand am rules . I can't believe the weight of these cars. my old original 69/70 boss 302 trans am car weighted in at the glen when there was a scale in the 1st garage stall 3250 full tank of gas, 32 gal at that time. after t/a it ran imsa reason for 32 gal.

what's funny is the 69/70 was iron everything block heads/trans rear the fr500c aluminum everything and weighs more nothing in it but me .

next step is Lexan rear and quarter windows.

Ford issued a recall on the passenger airbag for 11-14 mustangs as of 1/3/19....there is about 5lbs I will be shedding ASAP.

I don't think the stock curb weight of a 2014 Ford Mustang GT at 3,618lbs is that bad considering the following:

2015 Mitsubishi EVO final edition is 3,517lbs (101lbs lighter than a Mustang GT)
2018 Subaru Impreza WRX STI is 3,391lbs (227lbs lighter than a Mustang GT)
2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS is 3,935lbs (317lbs heavier than a Mustang GT)

101lbs or even 227lbs is a ton of weight to shed. But per the comments above some of the full on race cars on these forums have shed roughly 370lbs (and have added a full cage) which makes the 100lb weight loss mark not seem that bad.

I like to compare weights to the EVO because those are fairly small 4cyl cars that weight only 101lbs less than a Mustang 5.0.

who knows, my logic may suck...

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Check out www.chicane23.com for all their lightweight fenders and hoods. The Tiger hoods are great as they both help extract heat as well as lighten up the car. Removing seats , door panels , carpets and more, you can take out weight ,but the best way to figure is to actually determine what you are willing to spend and what you feel you can remove --- and still be able to drive on your roadways?

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
- stock Mustang wheels are 31-33 lb each. A good reasonably priced aftermarket wheel is 22 lb. +/- so a set of wheels save about 40 lb.
- axle backs save about 20 lb. if you drop the cats and get SS headers, you're probably looking at another 10-20 lb.
- tubular LCA save about 10 lb.
- one piece driveshaft will drop about 20 lb.
- passenger seat and seat base are about 55 lb.
- aftermarket seat and bracket (lose seat airbag and seat suspension) save about 25 lb.
- an open aftermarket grille (I have Saleen S281) saves about 5 lb.
- rear seats are 40-50 lb.
- a good aftermarket battery will be another 10-15 lb.

All weighs are based on a bathroom scale, except for estimates for headers/cats, rear seats, and battery.

A stock Boss 302 is about 3,630 lb. so, if you do all of the above, you're in the very low 3,400 lb. range and maybe just dip into 3,3xx lb. and that's without swapping body panels or stripping the interior.

If it's just a weekend warrior (i.e. not prepped for a particular series/racing), I wouldn't bother with any body panels except the Tiger hood because the vents are very good for removing heat from the engine bay and reducing underhood pressure (front end lift). Just too much cost for what it's worth, but that's just my opinion.

Depending on what you're doing, though, you might pick up weight. I have picked up about 15 lb. from my Watt's link over the PH bar, but it's well worth the penalty. A cage will add weight, of course, and so will a proper harness compared to seat belts.

As others have said, make sure to check your weight goal if you're competing in a series or a tournament.

Good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors