The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How much weight have you lost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello, again!!

A friend of mine and I were at C&C Charlotte this weekend, and after scrupulous and heavy debate over which cars were there and how awesome they were, we turned to our own for plans/hopes & dreams/you get the idea.

He’s a drag racer with a ‘12 GT that’s heavily modified. Rear tubbs, 4 point cage, no interior, MaxMo suspension, etc. He’s about to turn the corner and go full racecar with his Mustang, and is pushing me HARD to turn my Boss into a road race track weapon once the new wears off. (I’ve only had my car about three weeks, and it’s bone stock, with only 7,300 miles on it. Damn, Ben, let me at least wear the new smell out of it, shiznit!)

The conversation ballooned into what parts I would want, what wheel/tire I could run, and exactly how far I would go with the modification into a dedicated track car. Now, since we both have jobs in Racing, cutting cars up isn’t outside of our wheelhouse. I daily my Boss, and if I’m going so far as to do a dedicated track car? This thing is heavy. I’d rather start with something else... and that’s when the “spirited discourse” started!

So... how much weight have you guys been able to cut out from your car? If I recall, my car weighs around 3,500 lbs, and I’d rather not go full track weapon with something over 2700-2800 lbs. He says it’s possible, I say it’s not, unless I do some heavy sheet metal work, which I’m not keen on doing to this car. But, what do I know-I’ve never cut one of these cars up.

Y’all have, so I’m asking you. Those of you with heavy-modified road race cars: How much weight have you lost in your car?

Hello, again!!

A friend of mine and I were at C&C Charlotte this weekend, and after scrupulous and heavy debate over which cars were there and how awesome they were, we turned to our own for plans/hopes & dreams/you get the idea.

He’s a drag racer with a ‘12 GT that’s heavily modified. Rear tubbs, 4 point cage, no interior, MaxMo suspension, etc. He’s about to turn the corner and go full racecar with his Mustang, and is pushing me HARD to turn my Boss into a road race track weapon once the new wears off. (I’ve only had my car about three weeks, and it’s bone stock, with only 7,300 miles on it. Damn, Ben, let me at least wear the new smell out of it, shiznit!)

The conversation ballooned into what parts I would want, what wheel/tire I could run, and exactly how far I would go with the modification into a dedicated track car. Now, since we both have jobs in Racing, cutting cars up isn’t outside of our wheelhouse. I daily my Boss, and if I’m going so far as to do a dedicated track car? This thing is heavy. I’d rather start with something else... and that’s when the “spirited discourse” started!

So... how much weight have you guys been able to cut out from your car? If I recall, my car weighs around 3,500 lbs, and I’d rather not go full track weapon with something over 2700-2800 lbs. He says it’s possible, I say it’s not, unless I do some heavy sheet metal work, which I’m not keen on doing to this car. But, what do I know-I’ve never cut one of these cars up.

Y’all have, so I’m asking you. Those of you with heavy-modified road race cars: How much weight have you lost in your car?

My car is track only and every single thing is stripped out of that car that is not for performance or safety. I’m at 3145 pounds with a half a tank of gas. I could lose another 200 or 300 pounds, but I’d also be losing about 10 grand. I might be able to lose about 60 or 80 pounds for around 2000. Still have not added optic armor and a braille battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car is track only and every single thing is stripped out of that car that is not for performance or safety. I’m at 3145 pounds with a half a tank of gas. I could lose another 200 or 300 pounds, but I’d also be losing about 10 grand. I might be able to lose about 60 or 80 pounds for around 2000. Still have not added optic armor and a braille battery.

I didn’t think it would be easy to go below 3k. Are you running the factory glass? Maybe lexan windows would get you closer?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Got down to 3244 without driver and fuel in the Boss 302S , and thanks for asking how much weight I have lost, ha. Whoops, I gained 15 pounds so the whole project of getting the cars weight down isn't really complete. Put some weight in the car now, to meet minimums. The weight was lost with Optic Armor windows, Carbon Fiber Tiger hood from Chicane 23, getting rid of the GT 500 rear exhaust system, and even removing the lights up front.

Since this is an S , it has a full rollcage , fire suppression and cool shirt system, so pleased to get down into the 3200 lb area!

Last edited:

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I'm in Charlotte as well, I've removed most of the interior including the radio and currently working on the door's and AC. I had my car up on the scales at Road Atlanta last weekend and it weighed in at 3495 lbs with driver and half a tank of fuel. I personally wouldn't strip it down unless it is going to become a dedicated track car as I've learned rather quickly how much less practical it becomes on a daily basis. I would drive it how it is first and make adjustments as you see fit and just have fun with it. If I'm at C&C and see you I'll stop by and chat for a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m looking forward to the event at CMS Roval. I don’t have a helmet that’s up to date, so that’s an obstacle. My car is gone stock, so it will be an education for me to see just how an “unmolested” example does.

It will also be my first time on a track, so any newbie/rookie/fng advice is appreciated!

Boone

Professional Thread Killer

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Check out soloperformancespecialties.com for a helmet , as he always has plenty and great prices ( plus Dave W. is a fellow member on the TMO site). He doesn't toot his horn much , but his company has been helping Solo Drivers and road course workers for over 25 years. He attends a ton of our Region's NASA events and he does many SCCA events too. Bunch of us got our helmets from him, and he carries a slug of decals, numbers , etc. too, as that was what started the business.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A head of the game --- Bobby is punny 2 day !!!!

Heh, and Dave W is on this site , cuz Dave has a badass Black Mustang GT , so you are not just helping a fellow TMO member, he knows from where he speaks!

Man, y’all are some good shiznit! Thanks for the link, Boone. And Bill-good lookin’ out on the heads up on the info for a guy like Dave. I’ll check em out.

I’m glad I found this place. It’s red one of the kindest places on the Internet.

TMO Supporting Vendors