The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HPDE Safety Equipment for S550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Hello All -

I am seeking and would greatly appreciate some advice regarding HPDE safety equipment. I have several years of HPDE experience in a Porsche 911 (996) and a Porsche 944 fully prepped race car. I sold my 911 (still own the 944) and recently purchased a 2017 Mustang GT PP (love the Mustang!). My goal is to drive the Mustang to the track and have fun safely. I'm not too concerned about lap times and pushing the car to the limit, however I have a great deal of respect for the risk associated with on-track driving. I'm willing to invest the money in safety gear, however I would like to keep the car as close to stock form as possible. I've been down the slippery path of fully prepped car, truck, trailer, etc. (certainly nothing wrong with this approach. I'm just looking to simplify and move away from the fully prepped race car).

Here's a couple options I've researched:
  1. https://discoveryparts.com/simpson-...t-works-with-3-way-seat-belt-simpson-hys.html
  2. https://discoveryparts.com/ford-han...5-g6-s550-harness-schroth-quick-fit-pro-.html
Option 2 I would wear my HANS.

Also I've serviced the Mustang with the following fluids:
  • Fluids:
    - Engine: AMSOIL Signature Series 5W20
    - Transmission: AMSOIL DCT
    - Differential: AMSOIL 75w110
    - Brakes: Castrol RBF 600 (flushed and bled the system)
I'll see how the car does the first few events but I fully plan to install the necessary coolers.

Thank you all in advance for your time, I've learned a ton reading this forum!!

Cheers

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have the Watson 4 point bar and six point harnesses in my cars. I run the stock Recaro seats although I am considering upgrading seats in the 350. I run the Schroth Flex HANS. I put the quick fit pro system in my daughters RS, it should work with a hans. If you are not going to use a 5-6 point this is the next best thing.
You may want to check on the oil weight. I don't have that generation of engine so I am not 100% but I believe 5W-50 is recommended.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
I have the Watson 4 point bar and six point harnesses in my cars. I run the stock Recaro seats although I am considering upgrading seats in the 350. I run the Schroth Flex HANS. I put the quick fit pro system in my daughters RS, it should work with a hans. If you are not going to use a 5-6 point this is the next best thing.
You may want to check on the oil weight. I don't have that generation of engine so I am not 100% but I believe 5W-50 is recommended.
Thank you for the feedback. I think I will go with the quick fit pro system. This looks like a nice setup without going with the full 5/6 point harness with fixed back seats. Regarding the oil I spoke with a Tech Rep at AMSOIL and that's what he suggested for the 5.0. However, in researching this forum I'm thinking I should go with a heavier weight for track duty. Thank you again!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad the Forum could assist and if it makes you feel better , having been around Dodge/SRT Engineers and Ford Engineers , a 5-50w ( Stangs ) or 15-50W ( Vipers ) for years they really push the heavier weights for those of us who live the Track Life!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Glad the Forum could assist and if it makes you feel better , having been around Dodge/SRT Engineers and Ford Engineers , a 5-50w ( Stangs ) or 15-50W ( Vipers ) for years they really push the heavier weights for those of us who live the Track Life!!
Thank you!! I'm new to the Mustang world so learning all I can :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There will be different schools of thought on here, but folks are willing to help and you don't have to fear someone getting cranky and telling you to use the " Search Button." Funny, but unlike many sites, it seems the group here remembers the excitement we had when we first starting racing ( autocross, road course, dragstrip ) and they like to help new initiates to this disease.

Remember the motto ---- Occasionally I may get passed, but at least it was while I was going fast! Besides , we all want to become friends with you because then we will have a place to stay when we go racing at Road Atlanta or Atlanta Motorsports Park, ha,ha!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
There will be different schools of thought on here, but folks are willing to help and you don't have to fear someone getting cranky and telling you to use the " Search Button." Funny, but unlike many sites, it seems the group here remembers the excitement we had when we first starting racing ( autocross, road course, dragstrip ) and they like to help new initiates to this disease.

Remember the motto ---- Occasionally I may get passed, but at least it was while I was going fast! Besides , we all want to become friends with you because then we will have a place to stay when we go racing at Road Atlanta or Atlanta Motorsports Park, ha,ha!!
Thanks Bill, I appreciate that!!
I do feel blessed to be 1:15 from RA and AMP, 3:00 from Roebling, and 2:30 from Barber. Looking forward to meeting you all at the track!

In the V6L
...Here's a couple options I've researched:
  1. https://discoveryparts.com/simpson-...t-works-with-3-way-seat-belt-simpson-hys.html
  2. https://discoveryparts.com/ford-han...5-g6-s550-harness-schroth-quick-fit-pro-.html
Option 2 I would wear my HANS.

Also I've serviced the Mustang with the following fluids:
  • Fluids:
    - Brakes: Castrol RBF 600 (flushed and bled the system)
I'll see how the car does the first few events but I fully plan to install the necessary coolers...
The Quick Fit Pro with HANS works well - it's what I use in my GT350. On the brakes, the RBF is great fluid, but some of the GT brakes are built with "reverse" rotors that cool from the outside. They have a reputation for overheating at the track and causing problems that the best fluid in the world can't fix. I don't know enough about the various Perf Packs for the GT, but have a look at your front brakes. If the cooling vane openings are visible behind the wheel, then you might want to swap them out before you go too much further.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
The Quick Fit Pro with HANS works well - it's what I use in my GT350. On the brakes, the RBF is great fluid, but some of the GT brakes are built with "reverse" rotors that cool from the outside. They have a reputation for overheating at the track and causing problems that the best fluid in the world can't fix. I don't know enough about the various Perf Packs for the GT, but have a look at your front brakes. If the cooling vane openings are visible behind the wheel, then you might want to swap them out before you go too much further.
Thanks for the advice and feedback!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Quick question and not trying to start yet another oil thread.... I'm ordering AMSOIL now and curious if 5w50 is to thick for DD use? Other option would be AMSOIL SS 5W30 as a dual use.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Quick question and not trying to start yet another oil thread.... I'm ordering AMSOIL now and curious if 5w50 is to thick for DD use? Other option would be AMSOIL SS 5W30 as a dual use.

IMO, 5w50 would be fine if your location is Georgia. Just don't go hammering on it right after you start it. Give it a few minutes to get some heat in it. That goes for any oil you use really.

Although, Amsoil recommends running the thinnest oil your manufacturer recommends in the winter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
IMO, 5w50 would be fine if your location is Georgia. Just don't go hammering on it right after you start it. Give it a few minutes to get some heat in it. That goes for any oil you use really.
Thank you! Yeah I always let any engine warm up. I've read lots of good info on 5w50 for the track just making sure I will be good for the occasional DD use and to/from the track. Thanks again for the response!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel