The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
2011 S197 with S550 6 piston Brembos on the front.
okay, I saw some talk about 4 piston rears somewhere in this thread, just wanted to be clear.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Karl at Rennsport is a pretty talented guy and the crew chief on a IMSA Mustang Team so wondering what he has to say? Sorry, I am assuming you have already talked to him?

Karl at Rennsport is a pretty talented guy and the crew chief on a IMSA Mustang Team so wondering what he has to say? Sorry, I am assuming you have already talked to him?
Yeah, he might know his stuff a little! :) We've talked about it for a while. He has given me the name of someone I need to discuss further with. He thinks the S550s may not work for me due to the MC differences. He doesn't have any experience with this brake setup though, which is why he's punting.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sorry to hear that, darn. I know there is a guy in Topeka who races in NASA and he does alot of mods on Mustangs --- Karl probably has his number and that would be another relatively close drive for help.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sadly a long pedal with this combination is to be expected. The possible solutions all involve a larger bore master cylinder. This could be a tilton pedal box solution that would eliminate the power assist, Capaldi Racing has a manual pedal setup in their S197 302R car that Leo drives, second option that I was investigating with a friend was using the S550 pedal assembly, booster and master cylinder in the S197. This requires creating custom brackets for the pedal box and lowering the engine to be able to install the booster and MC. Finally custom brake lines from the MC to ABS block are needed. This is all possible, but would only make sense for a race car.
Steve

Anyone put a whole kit together on this brembo s550 kit? I would buy it and give it to my shop to install.

I have the 4 piston brembos on my 2011 and am maybe looking to upgrade.
Check with @OPMustang Tim at Optimum Performance. He used to do a full kit - calipers, rotors, lines, racing pads... If he does not have a kit available he could give you an idea on pad compounds and stocks pads.

If you want to do a couple easy orders minus pads and high temp fluid:

I just checked RockAuto. They still have the calipers and rotors in stock.
Calipers BRCF430 and BRCF431
OEM Rotors BRRF218 x2

Stainless lines I'm pretty sure the Goodridge p/n 12367 are direct bolt ons - many places have in stock.

I did the Russel lines to save a few bucks but had to use Dorman 13940 banjo bolts. I wouldn't go in that direction again. It was a pain running around to 3 different auto parts stores to pick up one banjo here and another there. No worth the 30 bucks overall savings in the end.

By the way nice ride and welcome to TMO!
If you drop all of your stuff from this thread -
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/s197-build-replacing-my-gt350-hpde.18178/
and do a car profile it will create a build thread.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/member-cars/

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Check with @OPMustang Tim at Optimum Performance. He used to do a full kit - calipers, rotors, lines, racing pads... If he does not have a kit available he could give you an idea on pad compounds and stocks pads.

OEM Rotors BRRF218 x2

Stainless lines I'm pretty sure the Goodridge p/n 12367 are direct bolt ons - many places have in stock.

I did the Russel lines to save a few bucks but had to use Dorman 13940 banjo bolts. I wouldn't go in that direction again. It was a pain running around to 3 different auto parts stores to pick up one banjo here and another there. No worth the 30 bucks overall savings in the end.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/s197-build-replacing-my-gt350-hpde.18178/
I checked the OP website earlier and don’t see that kit anymore. Probably have to call and see what’s what.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin

OEM Rotors BRRF218 x2

Thank you for the reply!

Do I need to order some kind of bracket then too?

I like the idea of a larger master cylinder that guys have talked about. Have you done this?

Thank you for the reply!

Do I need to order some kind of bracket then too?

I like the idea of a larger master cylinder that guys have talked about. Have you done this?
I know nothing about the master cylinder swaps. The calipers are direct bolt ons. Don't forget to remove the dust shields for cooling. ( With your setup they are probably already gone). FYI Caliper bolt torque 85 ft / lbs, caliper bridge bolts 22 ft-lbs, both with blue loctite

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Indiana
Second day on the forum and second post. I have a 2014 Boss 302S and recently purchased a 2013 Boss 302S. I take both cars to the track so wanted everything to be the same for ease of maintenance. I converted the front brakes to 15" rotors with new calipers. I have the mounting brackets, 14" rotors w/top hats and the calipers that i took off the 2013 Boss S. They require the endurance pads. The car had 2,300 miles on when i removed them and didn't know if anyone would be interested in them. Should I post them in the "Classified Section"?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Second day on the forum and second post. I have a 2014 Boss 302S and recently purchased a 2013 Boss 302S. I take both cars to the track so wanted everything to be the same for ease of maintenance. I converted the front brakes to 15" rotors with new calipers. I have the mounting brackets, 14" rotors w/top hats and the calipers that i took off the 2013 Boss S. They require the endurance pads. The car had 2,300 miles on when i removed them and didn't know if anyone would be interested in them. Should I post them in the "Classified Section"?
Sure thing, throw an ad in there, someone will probably be able to use them.

Does anyone have additional part numbers for rotor options for the 2013-14 GT500 380mm rotors other than the OEM (BRRF218/ DR3Z1125A ) I'm just looking for options for a back up set and seeing what other's have used. Nothing fancy just regular rotors.

I think I found the high carbon Centric 125.61106 but are more expensive than Ford.
Are these the correct Brembo rotors? PN 09.N288.11 Are they any good?

Thanks!

Sadly a long pedal with this combination is to be expected. The possible solutions all involve a larger bore master cylinder. This could be a tilton pedal box solution that would eliminate the power assist, Capaldi Racing has a manual pedal setup in their S197 302R car that Leo drives, second option that I was investigating with a friend was using the S550 pedal assembly, booster and master cylinder in the S197. This requires creating custom brackets for the pedal box and lowering the engine to be able to install the booster and MC. Finally custom brake lines from the MC to ABS block are needed. This is all possible, but would only make sense for a race car.
Steve

Just curious. Is the S550 booster with 6 piston brakes, any different in "swept area" (booster diameter?) over the S197's?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just curious. Is the S550 booster with 6 piston brakes, any different in "swept area" (booster diameter?) over the S197's?
The booster is different. In the way it engages the master cylinder, the size and the level of assist provided. If you are considering a swap, I would plan to install a complete S550 M/C and booster. It will require modifying the pedal support and firewall holes slightly, lowering the engine just to install the booster (needs about 3", then can be reset in normal position) and a reworking of the brake feed pipes to the ABS block, S550 ports are on the inside of the M/C, the S197 are outside. I recommend this for a race application, on the street the pedal travel won't make a difference, but then again, we are Track Mustangs Online.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel