The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge hole in my stock header!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
After my second time out on the track I heard the exhaust get incredibly noisy. Looking under the car this is what was making it!!

10509477_10203309384034102_7942481540343427858_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203309384034102&l=4010556340.

I managed to have it welded shut with a stainless plate at a friends shop that was about 500m from the track. Lucky day I guess, it was a 460km drive home.

I was thinking I had better order a new header before the plate gives away. Was thinking of getting the Pypes Long tubes with a catted x pipe. Giving up on the side pipes but saving a bundle over the kooks or other makes with side pipes.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd try to get that covered under warrantee. EDIT: Forgot that's not gonna happen in Chile. :( Might as well upgrade since you don't have to worry about emissions, right?

Frankly, I'm surprised there haven't been more failures like this after seeing the durability testing videos where it doesn't take much to get them glowing red hot. This is the first failure I've heard of so I think Ford did a good job considering they are tubular.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Mad Hatter said:
After my second time out on the track I heard the exhaust get incredibly noisy. Looking under the car this is what was making it!!

10509477_10203309384034102_7942481540343427858_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203309384034102&l=4010556340.

I managed to have it welded shut with a stainless plate at a friends shop that was about 500m from the track. Lucky day I guess, it was a 460km drive home.

I was thinking I had better order a new header before the plate gives away. Was thinking of getting the Pypes Long tubes with a catted x pipe. Giving up on the side pipes but saving a bundle over the kooks or other makes with side pipes.

Well I guess we should all start checking our stock headers. Good job catching this early. I agree with your plan as you have no support in Chile from Ford.
Time for headers and a tune!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, being in Chile means no warranty of any kind for a self imported Mustang. They only sell automatic GT's with no Brembo option from the dealers. Thats why they have way more camaros racing then you would expect, at least some of those are manuals.

The climate here is very dry, Kind of like Southern California. Even the Fiats won't rust! Any comments about the Pypes headers and Cat X pipe?? Looks very promising on HP an the cost is much less then the Kooks. Seems to me that a simple X pipe with out the side pipes would be a lighter more efficient set up.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i had the pypes with catted x. i liked them...but even with cats, the check engine light will come on. a good tuner can get them to pass obdii emissions test.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am about to make the "unscheduled purchase" of a set of headers with an X pipe. Between the Pypes and JBA setup. Any Preferences?? I do have emissions checks, but they do not look at the OBDII. I guess a AED tune is a required item. Kinda sad to see the side pipes go... :'(

I saw some bad reviews on the Pypes headers mainly to do with installing etc. Glad to see Pufferfish liked them though.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Mad Hatter said:
I am about to make the "unscheduled purchase" of a set of headers with an X pipe. Between the Pypes and JBA setup. Any Preferences?? I do have emissions checks, but they do not look at the OBDII. I guess a AED tune is a required item. Kinda sad to see the side pipes go... :'(

I saw some bad reviews on the Pypes headers mainly to do with installing etc. Glad to see Pufferfish liked them though.

I removed my side pipes a couple of months ago......Fear not...you can still have Amazing sounds coming from the car. In fact, my o/r X with GT 500 mufflers sounds better....especially as the revs build. Plus.....people can now hear me go by on the track....with the stock exhaust, not so much.

Wayne

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Good to hear about the sound! Grant, the ARH headers look good but they are about 600 bucks more. I have bought, and awaiting shipment in Miami: a MM 6 point roll bar, 6 point harness, a set of 305/35-18 Nitto 555R II's and getting way over budget what with a new transmission etc etc.... God this hobby is expensive!!

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I and others feel your pain. If you want to play you have to pay! It is so true, if you are a wise man do not actually keep a accurate tally of "mods" this addiction makes no economic sense. But it is fun and rewarding and you meet new people and make new friends and have a blast doing it. Better then a lot of activities I can think of.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have ahr headers and I love how they sound but they have a flawed o2 sensor location and I have spent 380 dollars on replacing sensors. Having the bungs reclocked before install is a must. Kooks are nice in this way sense the sensors are pointing downwards due to their mid length design. Had I to do it over I would have went with pypes stepped headers and x pipe and had the side pipes made to work.

I have installed jba, pypes and ahr's and jba's are the worst by far. Pypes are easier and ahr was the easiest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks for the offers!! I have been left at the bottom of my group in the local time trails. The Camaros ZL1's now number 3 and I am quite far behind them in the last events (Hole in the header did not help!). I will bite the bullet this time and get the Pypes stepped headers with the Cat X pipe. The header with a AED tune, some fat rubber and a bit of luck.... should put me ahead of the dam ZL1s. After that I have to catch up to a stripped Camaro SS with Coilovers with about 500hp on Hoosiers.... That might be a little harder.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Placed the order all set... When I get some emails advising not to get the Pypes due to instalation problems and lower power outputs.... Canceled my order and asked for a set of Kooks instead (or ARH which ever is faster to ship). Thats what you get for trying to go cheap I guess.

Also Shaun from AED suggested that my hole in the exhaust could be due to poor fuel quality leading to excessive retardation.... Also me loading the sct4 boss tune for 93 octane might have not been a good idea!!

TMO Supporting Vendors