The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I am renting a figure 8 for myself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It might sound like a silly question, but other than oversteer/understeer recovery techniques plus some drifting skills, what else can I learn?

Great idea and I've thought of doing the same thing. I'd like to feel more in control when the read end kicks out especially at speed.

NFSBOSS said:
Great idea and I've thought of doing the same thing. I'd like to feel more in control when the read end kicks out especially at speed.

Traction sensing and car control can go a long way!

When I am doing a typical HPDE day, you try to drive a neat line in a neutral way, I think of it as a timid way. Sometimes I get the urge to push the car, but I quickly back up due to the fact you are on a road course with other cars and within certain restraints. Plus, I am not confident enough to recover the car especially in high speed scenarios.
I will try some left foot braking exercises too.

Rick, may be I can get comfortable drifting the car like those British journalists lol ;)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Drift Tip: Do not throw the Boss into drift mode with your Wifie onboard. In April, 2014 I was having some fun with her at NJMP on Liightning That scream from turn 9 still haunts me!

I knew she liked to go fast, but that day I learned she only likes to go fast in a straight line.

Have fun, be safe.
Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Dave

I have asked my wife to ride along on track. She wont even come along on a parade lap. Oh Well!!

I imagine she would not scream. The times I have given her a "Thrill" behind the wheel she has been to shocked to speak. I kind of like that. LOL ;D

So I did go today.

I learned a few things

1) I suck at car control skills.
2) Higher profile tires at the rear seemed to give the rear end more control and progressive breakaway characteristics. I put the front tires back in the rear and the results were very pleasant.
3) Maintaining the boss in a drift is really difficult.
4) I think I improved by the end of 4 hours.
5) I have a severe case of motion sickness. The course is like a tight figure 8 so a lot of quick transitions.

Ive experienced similar things at the skid pad.
This car's alot harder to control than my corolla ::) Also once it let goes and you spin out, you really feel the weight of the car while your head bobbles around ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors