The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road Race for 18+ MT-82?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
Can anyone give some solid guidance as to what mods need to be done to a 2018+ MT-82 transmission to live in road race setting? For the class we have to run stock case and gear ratios. Looking to see what internals I can change to make it live. I will be building it myself so please no "send it to xxx" as I have built many tremecs so this shouldn't be real different. Thanks!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Syncrotech makes a lot of internal parts that are hardened. I had a rebuild done with their rebuild kit parts, I am on the 3rd year with it now. They have a lot of carbon fibre stuff. But. I also put a trans cooler on it and I think that is essential with the heat these cars make.

In terms of rebuild, they are a very different than a Tremec. For instance, my trans guy told me that there is a shaft in there that is a press fit together two piece item. It takes something on the order of a 30 ton press to pull it apart and reassemble it. Unless you have that level of equipment you will need to take it to a shop.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
Syncrotech makes a lot of internal parts that are hardened. I had a rebuild done with their rebuild kit parts, I am on the 3rd year with it now. But. I also put a trans cooler on it and I think that is essential with the heat these cars make.
a trans cooler, a true racing clutch, and a better shifter are all in the plan during the build. I have seen the carbon synchros from synchrotech (I have thier Honda stuff in my b18 mini) but didn't know if there was anything else that can/needs to be done while I in there

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I had to get a new 3rd gear. The lousy stock clutch Ford put in it was not disengaging fully and that did a lot of damage. But you won't know that until you get it apart.
Figure on getting a proper racing clutch for sure. I used Exedy Hyper single and it is still going strong. Stock 460 hp motor in my car though.

The 2018+ clutches are way better than the 15-17. If you do change the clutch get a sprung hub to reduce shock to the trans.

and a trans cooler. I built a custom trans cooler with setrab fan pack and Marco spur gear pump and changed build direction so took it off after 2 track days. PM me if interested in pics and details.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
With an Exedy Hyper single and MGW shifter I, and others before me, have ran my ‘12 Boss 302 with no problems on track. With Ford cobrajet cams, intake, throttle body (>500 hp to the crank) the trans is still strong and much better than our stock ‘13 Boss set up. Personally, the Exedy seems to make the biggest difference but the MGW definitely adds to it as well. Car parts and advice from Dean Martin from Kohr led us to use use Motorcraft DCT w/ XL18 Additive which has also been great.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have been through more Mt-82's then I care too remember... I would recommend keeping the shifting below 7500rpm and and add a good cooler setup for the tranny. If you up the HP from stock, then you better get a Tremec XL, or at the very least a Calimer stage three and rebuild often (as in once a season).

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
About 6 years now on an MT82 from a 2011 V6 Mustang in my racecar. Granted I'm fairly light and only around 320-330 hp. No additional coolers or anything.

I think with that HP the MT82 would be fine! Some time ago I had a fleet of some 15 Land rover defenders for work, they had well over 300.000km on them on average and not one single MT82 failed on a brutally difficult mountain road.. But thats with 120hp and 200 ft/lbs or torque in a two ton car. Once you get over 450rwhp, the MT82 is just waiting to fail. Never mind at 500rwhp and 8000rpm......

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Often simple things help a lot, not just going to an MGW short throw shifter, but also changing the fluid much more often. My first Boss had an issue with 5th gear when I got it ( used ). That was replaced and with it and my next Boss 302, I never had an issue and on each I was running with a stock clutch. I did change the tranny fluid based on track usage, not on suggested mileage, and if I felt a few weekends had been rough ( high temps, track with a ton of downshifts, etc, ) I might change the fluid after three weekends. Folks told me I was nuts, but I did not have an issue. The other important item is bleeding the brakes after each weekend and I got a turkey baster to clean out the clutch fluid, in essence making sure it was getting clean DOT 4 Motul 600 also.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
so class is a bone stock motor w/ the 2014 manifolds (no cats internal so don't have to mod them) and a 55mm intake restrictor so will be a little down on stock power. a cooler, shifter, oem sized clutch (as per rules), and the carbon clutches are on the list. We change all the fluids after every race weekend so that shouldn't be an issue. guess we will see when I get it on track soon.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Melbourne
Often simple things help a lot, not just going to an MGW short throw shifter, but also changing the fluid much more often. My first Boss had an issue with 5th gear when I got it ( used ). That was replaced and with it and my next Boss 302, I never had an issue and on each I was running with a stock clutch. I did change the tranny fluid based on track usage, not on suggested mileage, and if I felt a few weekends had been rough ( high temps, track with a ton of downshifts, etc, ) I might change the fluid after three weekends. Folks told me I was nuts, but I did not have an issue. The other important item is bleeding the brakes after each weekend and I got a turkey baster to clean out the clutch fluid, in essence making sure it was getting clean DOT 4 Motul 600 also.
It didn't matter what people said. You were doing the right thing by taking care of your safety and improving the quality of your ride. Even if it seemed excessive to some :)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
in all our race cars we change all fluids (oil, trans, and diff) after every race weekend. Maybe a track day/street car or hpde guy wouldn't but oil is cheap - none of the other parts are. we also bleed the brakes before each race and do a full flush after 2 or 3 race weekends with srf (now that stuff isn't cheap lol).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know the old Boss 302S race prep info said to change after every 4 hours on track, so that could easily be after a race weekend. I have always flushed my brake fluid after each weekend unless it was just a one day affair, and after 2 weekends the rear end fluid was changed. I would go about 3 weekends on tranny fluid, but only 2 on oil changes, so you can see with someone doing amateur W2W or Time Trials, my feeling is the same, fluids are cheap deterrents to avoid problems. There were a few weekends where I ran on a Friday, and then there were 4 races over the weekend, and they were longer than usual where I followed the script listed above. Doing Time Trials or HPDEs, I do think one can extend the fluid changes closer to what I listed, but brake fluid is, regardless , every single time except the minor point of a one day weekend.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
is there a solid clutch recommendation? must use the stock flywheel (or one at 95% the weight of stock). car will see no road use at all only track use.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Exedy Hyper single. Checks all the boxes for a performance clutch. I put 5 years of hard track use on mine and it was still kickin' ass. You better have good clutch feel though, it does not suffer fools gladly. It's almost an on-off switch.

After losing my motor in 21 and finally getting it back on track this year, the original MT82/Exedy combo with 14K miles started to act up at VIR on Monday running with Chin. Couldn't get the 4-3 shift done without moving very slowly and I kept missing gears. Then it started popping out of gear intermittently and making some rattling noises at idle. Then I saw some fluid dripping. Ended my event early. As Mad Hatter noted, once you get up in the 450-500+ range as I have it quickly went south.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I believe Mantic makes twin and triple disks for the 2018+. They’re expensive but they sell complete kits including flywheels and Arp bolts. Give Geoff a call b

TMO Supporting Vendors